Thread: Big Bend

Big Bend

So I flew down to El Paso on the 14th, stayed in a cheap little hotel that night. We had an evening meeting where we met the other course participants and the Outward Bound reps. Our group leaders were 2 OB reps; one a Brit national, Simon who really knew his stuff; especially local vegetation and history, the other, Calvin a laid back hippy from Wisconsin. The rest of our group consisted of 9 veterans of either Iraq or Afghanistan; 2 Air Force fighter pilots, and Army artillery officer, a former marine now in the Army reserves, an Active Marine 1st Sergeant, an active army supply sergeant, an army reservist, one kid who is completely out of the military now and myself.
    Early on the 15th we started the 5 hour drive to the small town of Presidio where OB has a base. At the OB building they issued gear; they provided cooking sets, water treatment, aid kits, sleeping bags, pads, packs, shelters and trekking poles. I brought some of my own gear; sleeping bag, pad, aid kit, GPS, trekking poles and used some of their gear (made for an easier flight that
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool manly stuff!
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    :) Nice. Some of the pics remind me of our property in Duchesne.
    Chere'

Sweet, lotsa variety of fun on that trip.

What an awesome experience! thanks for sharin'!
    The man thong is wrong.

I know, this thread probably has enough photos but I was recently emailed a couple shots from a companion.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

did you eat only veggies? I see you carried mt dew with you. Was it worth the weight? Or is it just water in there? One more questions, did you see any chupacabra?
    The man thong is wrong.

That night was veggie stir fry. It was mostly veggie food.
    The Mountain dew bottle was only water. I carried 3 of those bottles and 2 litter size nalgene bottles. Heavy load.
    No chupacabra. Couple mexicans, but they stayed on their side of the river.