Thread: Sensor Dust

Sensor Dust

I have had my camera cleaned twice it the past week and I still have sensor dust. The dust spots have not been in the same place after the cleanings but I don't think I should have to clean my sensor every time I shoot. I am guessing I need to have the body cleaned(?). I cant figure out how It got there in the first place because I never remove my lens (only one I have right now).

I am just getting sick of removing dust spots in photoshop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hey photo gurus ... what methods do you use to clean your sensors and how often do you clean them?

Canned Air Method

I know that there are about a drillion photographers out there who will tell me I'm going to ruin my sensors, but I have been cleaning CCDs for almost eight years now with canned air, like Dust Off, without a single problem of any kind. The trick is to keep the can perfectly upright, use short bursts, and do a little test burst first to make sure there isn't any liquid in the nozzle. The reason I like this method is that I don't ever touch the sensor, which I imagine could scratch it.

Disclaimer: if you do this and you end up spraying canned air snot on your sensor, don't blame me.

Huh huh. I said, "nozzle."

Yikes. Canned air is scary.

I use a variety of methods. I have a visible dust brush, that uses static to charge the bristles. For really nasty stuff, I use eclipse fluid with pec pads.

Honestly, I change lenses all the time, and it never gets too nasty. I use the ACR brush to heal 'em out if I need to, but most of the time it's trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    See, what did I tell you? That's why I didn't answer this when you first posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    See, what did I tell you? That's why I didn't answer this when you first posted it.