Thread: Do you stay in Hostels?

Do you stay in Hostels?

I'm a Hostel newb, I have only stayed at four hostels in my life.

Lazy Lizard Hostel, Moab.
    Glenwood Springs Hostel, Co.
    North Fork Hostel in Polebridge, Mt.
    Blue Dream Hostel in Costa Rica.

I dig the Hostel scene, have met a few really cool people, its a great place to swap info with other travelers.

I didn't dig the Moab Hostel, some German guys decided they wanted to get an early start on the day, I think the lights came on around 3:30am. Glenwood Springs gets really busy, the beds suck ass, they have an amazing record collection. North Fork has the best cabin scene around & amazing pastries ever, Moose Drool in a Mason Jar at the pub next door is the drink to have. Blue Dream has the best winds in Costa Rica and is a Kite Surfing meca, lots of really cool people there, consistent winds, best food in all of costa rica is a short mile walk away.

Anyone been to the Tahoe Hostel? I'd like to hit that one up next.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The last time I was in a Hostel I was awoken in the middle of the night by loud people having sex in the bed across from me. The time before that I litterally discovered a crime scene (by finding a missing knife with blood on it from a stabbing). I no longer stay in hostels :)

Wow, really? What Hostels did you stay in?

I have to admit, I have only stayed in the dorm room once, in Moab. The last three Hostels I have stayed at, I went with a private room. Its much MUCH better, and only costs a buck or two more if your traveling in a pair.

I'd love to spend a month or two in Europe backpacking from Hostel to Hostel. The whole culture of Hostel travel there is vastly different from the dive hostels that can be found in the states.

Re: Do you stay in Hostels?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    North Fork has the best cabin scene around & amazing pastries ever, Moose Drool in a Mason Jar at the pub next door is the drink to have.

North Fork was pretty sweet! We did get a nice little Cabin but he pastries were the most memorable part. I really wish we had spent a few extra days there.. Had we stayed a few more hours we would of ran into you guys.

Our Cabin.

The view from 'Downtown' Polebridge

I have to admit, I have only stayed in the dorm room once, in Moab. The last three Hostels I have stayed at, I went with a private room. Its much MUCH better, and only costs a buck or two more if your traveling in a pair.

I'd love to spend a month or two in Europe backpacking from Hostel to Hostel. The whole culture of Hostel travel there is vastly different from the dive hostels that can be found in the states.
    Hi Joe, I've stayed in a couple of hostels in Europe and have had good luck so far, but I stayed at the higher priced ones (for fear of stumbling upon a murder scene, or being mugged, etc). Meaning I shied away from the $7 per night digs and gravitated toward the $15 - 20 per night places.
    In lieu of staying in a hostel you can also sleep in abandoned buildings, places that are under construction, fields, beaches, etc. Talk about cool adventure!!!! Some of my fondest memories are of the times I ditched the idea of a roof over my head and figured out an alternative sleeping arrangement.

But, if you're looking for a unique cultural experience in Europe and even here locally, try couchsurfing.com
    You stay for FREE! Meet the locals! Make friends!
    What could be better?

I've met the coolest people through this site, and have had a wonderful time couchsurfing and tent surfing with some of them.

Check it out. I'm pretty sure you'll love it!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi

Hi Joe, I've stayed in a couple of hostels in Europe and have had good luck so far, but I stayed at the higher priced ones (for fear of stumbling upon a murder scene, or being mugged, etc). Meaning I shied away from the $7 per night digs and gravitated toward the $15 - 20 per night places.
    In lieu of staying in a hostel you can also sleep in abandoned buildings, places that are under construction, fields, beaches, etc. Talk about cool adventure!!!! Some of my fondest memories are of the times I ditched the idea of a roof over my head and figured out an alternative sleeping arrangement.

But, if you're looking for a unique cultural experience in Europe and even here locally, try http://www.couchsurfing.com/
    You stay for FREE! Meet the locals! Make friends!
    What could be better?

I've met the coolest people through this site, and have had a wonderful time couchsurfing and tent surfing with some of them.

Check it out. I'm pretty sure you'll love it!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

I've stayed in many hostels from Costa Rica to Peru to Polynesia to New Zealand to Australia to ....

Mostly good experiences, the only one that wasn't was one in Sydney. We stayed in Kings Cross on New Years; we should have done more research before booking. The best one was the Buccaneers in Costa Rica. $9 including breakfast, wonderful staff and information and the price even included free calls to the United States!

In the US the best hostel was the one in Leadville Colorado, the one in Moab might be my least favorite, but I stay there anyway and it's not too bad. Never been to the Tahoe one.

I'm on Couch surfing, I have not yet hosted, or been hosted. But I plan on doing so a lot in the future. The wife and I are going to do a short winter mountain bike tour of the Tucson area in a month or so, we plan on staying at one or two hostels and half a dozen couches. It should be a fun trip, I need to start making contacts.

If you want to friend me, my couch surfing username is Joe Gardner.

I'm excited to get to know all the costa rica couches once we move down there. I should have room for 16 or so when our place is built out. :D

I stayed in a Hostel in Europe years ago and was lucky to escape with my life. All of my friends were kidnapped and tortured by people who joined and private club and paid huge fees. During my escape by train, I noticed the ring leader at a train station and was able to take him out.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KAH
    I stayed in a Hostel in Europe years ago and was lucky to escape with my life. All of my friends were kidnapped and tortured by people who joined and private club and paid huge fees. During my escape by train, I noticed the ring leader at a train station and was able to take him out.
    Did you strap him to the top of the train?
    Chere'

I saw that movie I wouldn't stay in one

Stayed in a hostel in Seattle, 2 in London, and one in Paris.

Terrible.

For just about 10 bucks more, we could have our own room and not worry about our stuff getting stolen, or getting peed on by another roommate.