Thread: Progeny Peak

Progeny Peak

Finally made it to the top of Progeny Peak. Best views for the effort. Less than an hour to get to the top from Rt 9 including a stop at the Two Pines Arch.

The latest register installed in early October only had two entries. Just a 1/4 mile down the road dozens of folks were headed for the view on the Canyon Overlook Trail. The view from Progeny tops that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Progeny Peak

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    Finally made it to the top of Progeny Peak. Best views for the effort. Less than an hour to get to the top from Rt 9 including a stop at the Two Pines Arch.

The latest register installed in early October only had two entries. Just a 1/4 mile down the road dozens of folks were headed for the view on the Canyon Overlook Trail. The view from Progeny tops that one.
    Very nice! When I did the peak some years ago there wasn't a register. If you'd like to get together some day...Aires Butte is one outstanding viewpoint as well Jeff and I'd love to climb it with you!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-aires-butte.htm

Aires Butte? Aren't geezers like me banned from that climb?

Last Friday I duplicated the hike that Joe B recently and eloquently discussed on the Yahoo group site. Originally, I was just going to do an out and back up to the Jughandle Arch, but after wandering around on top, I decided to continue on to the Center of the Universe which proved to be a humbling place to take in your surroundings. From the Center of the Universe the climb to the top of Aires looked rather intimidating. I did contemplate going up South Ariel. I think you mentioned the route being a bee line to the top. I could see the Bo line being a bee line. My line would have probably resembled a 6.5 on a seismograph. Anyway, I passed on South Ariel and just headed down and out thru P Canyon.

The next day I made a second attempt to get to Bridge Mtn Arch. Two years ago I got as far as the notch, looked down and decided I wasn't going further. This time I went a wee bit more to where it bottoms out at that cambered sick slick spot and I went no further. So as was being discussed on your Cable Mtn-Weeping Rock TR thread, add me to the list of folks who'd like to go all the way to Bridge Mtn Arch with ya next spring.

Aires Butte? Aren't geezers like me banned from that climb?

Last Friday I duplicated the hike that Joe B recently and eloquently discussed on the Yahoo group site. Originally, I was just going to do an out and back up to the Jughandle Arch, but after wandering around on top, I decided to continue on to the Center of the Universe which proved to be a humbling place to take in your surroundings. From the Center of the Universe the climb to the top of Aires looked rather intimidating. I did contemplate going up South Ariel. I think you mentioned the route being a bee line to the top. I could see the Bo line being a bee line. My line would have probably resembled a 6.5 on a seismograph. Anyway, I passed on South Ariel and just headed down and out thru P Canyon.

The next day I made a second attempt to get to Bridge Mtn Arch. Two years ago I got as far as the notch, looked down and decided I wasn't going further. This time I went a wee bit more to where it bottoms out at that cambered sick slick spot and I went no further. So as was being discussed on your Cable Mtn-Weeping Rock TR thread, add me to the list of folks who'd like to go all the way to Bridge Mtn Arch with ya next spring.
    Got you penned in for Bridge Mtn. "Crawford" Arch for next spring!

Deal.

And Aires after lunch.

By the way if you were atop Cable on Sunday, I was probably re-amerging from Hidden Canyon about that time. Lots of folks made it to the first arch. Saw a similar crowd making their way up Angels Landing. Another great day for a hike.

Bogley BigShot
    I know I cannot keep up with you 2 cross-Zion in a day guys!!!

Wonderful stuff Jeff!

Cross-Zion seems like a long time ago. Have a hard time just crossing the street now.

Bogley BigShot
    I really doubt that! That hike we did with Bo, Courtney and DB was not very long ago. You were truckin' !!!

We all did that hike in April. My recollection is that the the ascent out of Gifford canyon and the return went smoothly; that is, there were cairns and a trail thru the upper cliff bands to take us from the wash to the amphitheatre/bowl and later back again.

When I climbed up thru there again a week or so ago, I had a hack of a time. Never saw a cairn. Wound up going too far right and missed the bowl altogether on descent towards Hepworth. On return from a failed attempt to visit Crawford Arch, I made it around the bowl, but immediately lost the trail on the descent down to Gifford Wash. Never saw another cairn until I was a few feet from the bottom. Interesting time zigzagging down thru the upper cliffwalls. Would have preferred a reassuring cairn or two. Or maybe I need new glasses.

But it was fun though.

Bogley BigShot
    We all did that hike in April. My recollection is that the the ascent out of Gifford canyon and the return went smoothly; that is, there were cairns and a trail thru the upper cliff bands to take us from the wash to the amphitheatre/bowl and later back again.

When I climbed up thru there again a week or so ago, I had a hack of a time. Never saw a cairn. Wound up going too far right and missed the bowl altogether on descent towards Hepworth. On return from a failed attempt to visit Crawford Arch, I made it around the bowl, but immediately lost the trail on the descent down to Gifford Wash. Never saw another cairn until I was a few feet from the bottom. Interesting time zigzagging down thru the upper cliffwalls. Would have preferred a reassuring cairn or two. Or maybe I need new glasses.

But it was fun though.
    That's what it's like when you hike with Bo... it seems like the path is lit with bright lights.

Need those bright lights in order to follow that Bo way way way up ahead.

Dang! I just noticed all this "spray about 'Bo" goin' on! What are you guys talkin about? I don't ever re-collect bein' way out in front ever! The only time I remember being wayyyy out in front was in the 3rd grade. Thats only cause a girl that had a crush on me was chasin' and I was a lot faster!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Dang! I just noticed all this "spray about 'Bo" goin' on! What are you guys talkin about? I don't ever re-collect bein' way out in front ever! The only time I remember being wayyyy out in front was in the 3rd grade. Thats only cause a girl that had a crush on me was chasin' and I was a lot faster!
    I know many times you sort of 'floated' ahead to scout the way.... you are a natural born outdoorsman.

Dang! I just noticed all this "spray about 'Bo" goin' on! What are you guys talkin about? I don't ever re-collect bein' way out in front ever! The only time I remember being wayyyy out in front was in the 3rd grade. Thats only cause a girl that had a crush on me was chasin' and I was a lot faster! [/quote]

Okay, on the traverse of the steep slopes of G2 you weren't way out in front. And when the loose stuff gave way and the climber ahead of you slipped southbound in a hurry, you reached out and stopped the slide towards trauma. And that would be why you're still way out in front in my book.

Bogley BigShot
    Love this photo... shows exactly how the arch got its name.