Thread: Zion: East Rim-Cable Mountain-Weeping Rock

Zion: East Rim-Cable Mountain-Weeping Rock

As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday. We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery). Jan and I stationed one vehicle at Weeping Rock and made the beautiful drive out the east side to the Entrance Station trailhead. Along the way there was a group of maybe 6-8 sheep right at the end of the small tunnel, but we opted not to stop and clog up traffic more than it already was. We started hiking at around 9AM and intended to just do the East Rim to Weeping Rock, but we had enough time (had to be home by 5PM) to do the quick 4 mile detour to Cable Mountain on the way. We ran into one group of 2 backpackers on their way out from Stave Spring to the east entrance. One sole backpacker we caught up to on the way to Cable Mountain and then a couple that was trail running from Weeping Rock we met right at the cableworks, hence a photo of Jan and I at the Cable Works. We got done pretty early, so we stopped for the obligatory chips and salsa and glass of wine at Oscars, and lo and behold there sits DB and Courtney (in their reserved table). They had just finished up doing a peakbag on one of the Eagle Crag summits. Got an invite to join them today on an obscure peak bid near Imlay, but had to bow out to do housework today and get ready for the Turkeyday holiday creeping up! Cheers,
    Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool. I love the pic looking into the canyon. That cable setup looks like it is about to come down!
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Very cool Bo and Jan!

Need to coax Courtney and DB to post some Eagle Crag shots too!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Very cool Bo and Jan!

...a blast from the past!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Very cool Bo and Jan!

...a blast from the past!
    ~smooch~

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Very cool. I love the pic looking into the canyon. That cable setup looks like it is about to come down!
    I certainly wondered the same as I crawled onto that rotting lumber! We had a very fun trip. The weekend after Thanksgiving we (a group of us and any and all are invited!) plan to go up top of Lady Mountain (weather permitting). Hope to take some shots of Cableworks from there!

Very cool Bo and Jan!

I'm pretty certain that photos will be coming!? I wish I could have joined them for the Roost, but Turkeyday just needs to be spent with family! Lookout SLC....I'm on my way!

Great stuff. I am glad to see you on the road to recovery. I was interested in Jan's water purification technique
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    The weekend after Thanksgiving we (a group of us and any and all are invited!) plan to go up top of Lady Mountain (weather permitting). Hope to take some shots of Cableworks from there!
    Noooooooooo

One on my hit list and everytime my friends do it on a weekend I will not be down for. Have fun. Take pics, and rub it in.

Wanted partner Lady Mountain and Bridge Mountain Arch sometime next spring

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Great stuff. I am glad to see you on the road to recovery. I was interested in Jan's water purification technique
    I wondered if anyone would catch on to that!???!!! I purposely posted that picture for that reason!!

I asked Jan to pose for the picture It's hard to read the sign in the photo, but I think it says something about "purify water before drinking"??????

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    The weekend after Thanksgiving we (a group of us and any and all are invited!) plan to go up top of Lady Mountain (weather permitting). Hope to take some shots of Cableworks from there!
    Noooooooooo

One on my hit list and everytime my friends do it on a weekend I will not be down for. Have fun. Take pics, and rub it in.

Don't you worry! I'm in for both with you!

I did that very trip one very hot September a few years back, although I enjoyed the view from Deertrap too. I saw no-one at all. The East Rim is great (as are all the "off-piste" routes because the tourists don't go more than 50 yards from their cars).

Stave Spring was reported as "flowing", but I thought I'd take sufficient water for the whole hike. Good thing I did...it was dry. Even then, I should have taken more...I ran out a mile or two from Weeping Rock, and got the shakes going downhill.

Lesson learned...take more water!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great pics Bo.
    It is good to see you out and about.
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    Great pics Bo.
    It is good to see you out and about.
    Thanks! It's great to be getting out and about! I hope that one of these days I might run into you on the trail!

Lets see?! I want a job that enables me to get out once in a while and keeps me in touch with my family and friends!

Thanks Santa!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Noooooooooo

Don't you worry! I'm in for both with you!
    I thought I had accepted the inventation. Must have forgoten to accept

Cable Mountain is also on my hit list. Your pics and beta on your site give me another motivation for this. I've been thinking to hit it late winter or early spring in 2009 (if the weather allows it) combining it with Deer Trap Mountain and start at the park boundry near Ponderosa Ranch.