Thread: Zion: East Rim-Cable Mountain-Weeping Rock

Zion: East Rim-Cable Mountain-Weeping Rock

As promised to myself, I played hookie and bailed out of work yesterday. We debated between Lady Mountain, Aires Butte and East Rim. In the end my body told me to accept the latter and shelf the testosterone for now (shoulder now in the beginning phases of recovery). Jan and I stationed one vehicle at Weeping Rock and made the beautiful drive out the east side to the Entrance Station trailhead. Along the way there was a group of maybe 6-8 sheep right at the end of the small tunnel, but we opted not to stop and clog up traffic more than it already was. We started hiking at around 9AM and intended to just do the East Rim to Weeping Rock, but we had enough time (had to be home by 5PM) to do the quick 4 mile detour to Cable Mountain on the way. We ran into one group of 2 backpackers on their way out from Stave Spring to the east entrance. One sole backpacker we caught up to on the way to Cable Mountain and then a couple that was trail running from Weeping Rock we met right at the cableworks, hence a photo of Jan and I at the Cable Works. We got done pretty early, so we stopped for the obligatory chips and salsa and glass of wine at Oscars, and lo and behold there sits DB and Courtney (in their reserved table). They had just finished up doing a peakbag on one of the Eagle Crag summits. Got an invite to join them today on an obscure peak bid near Imlay, but had to bow out to do housework today and get ready for the Turkeyday holiday creeping up! Cheers,
    Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did this hike last Saturday (East Rim - Weeping Rock, no Cable Mountain side trip) with a group of 12yo boy scouts and two other leaders to satisfy one of the Hiking merit badge requirements (10.6 miles). We parked a car in Zion Canyon at the Junction pull-out parking area and drove to the East entrance in a second vehicle. We started the hike at 8:00am and finished just before 2:00pm. I was concerned about the weather report predicting daytime temperatures of 90 degrees in Springdale, but with the difference in elevation the temperatures on the hike were perfect. We could have started an hour earlier and been just fine. We met only seven or eight other hikers\groups along the way, until we reached the Observation Trail split. Then there were tons of people. Jolley Gulch and the various parts of Echo Canyon were simply stunning, as were the vistas a couple of miles in and just as you begin your descent 6.5 miles in or so. The area had a particularly late, wet spring and the wild flowers were plentiful and beautiful.

I totally miscalculated the time needed to retrieve the shuttle car. We were held up at the tunnel for large RVs both coming and going. It took at least 45 minutes. All of the boys who went were relatively fit and although the hike was challenging, it was a great match. They were all justifiably proud of themselves.

I'm a Bogley newbie so I can't post links or photos. Great hike!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Bogley BigShot
    I thought this was this weekend... hope Turkey day was good. Looks like a fun hike!