Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. no longer a global superpower by 2025

U.S. no longer a global superpower by 2025

Change is coming

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNews
    The next two decades will see a world living with the daily threat of nuclear war, environmental catastrophe and the decline of America as the dominant global power, according to a frighteningly bleak assessment by the U.S. intelligence community.

"The world of the near future will be subject to an increased likelihood of conflict over resources, including food and water, and will be haunted by the persistence of rogue states and terrorist groups with greater access to nuclear weapons," said the report by the National Intelligence Council.

The analysts said that the report had been prepared in time for Barack Obama's entry into the Oval office on January 20, where he will be faced with some of the greatest challenges of any newly-elected president.

"The likelihood that nuclear weapons will be used will increase with expanded access to technology and a widening range of options for limited strikes," the 121-page assessment said.

Click here to read the report in full

The analysts draw attention to an already escalating nuclear arms race in the Middle East and anticipate that a growing number of rogue states will be prepared to share their destructive technology with terror groups.

"Over the next 15-20 years reactions to the decisions Iran makes about its nuclear program could cause a number of regional states to intensify these efforts and consider actively pursuing nuclear weapons," the report Global Trends 2025 said. "This will add a new and more dangerous dimension to what is likely to be increasing competition for influence within the region," it said.

The spread of nuclear capabilities will raise questions about the ability of weak states to safeguard them, it added. "If the number of nuclear-capable states increases, so will the number of countries potentially willing to provide nuclear assistance to other countries or to terrorists."

The report, a year in the making, said that global warming will aggravate the scarcity of water, food and energy resources. Citing a British study, it said that climate change could force up to 200 million people to migrate to more temperate zones. "Widening gaps in birth rates and wealth-to-poverty ratios, and the impact of climate change, could further exacerbate tensions," it said.

The report says the warming earth will extend Russia and Canada's growing season and ease their access to northern oil fields, strengthening their economies. But Russia's potential emergence as a world power may be clouded by lagging investment in its energy sector, persistent crime and government corruption, the report says.

"The international system will be almost unrecognizable by 2025, owing to the rise of emerging powers, a globalizing economy, a transfer of wealth from West to East, and the growing influence of non-state actors. Although the United States is likely to remain the single most powerful actor, the United States' relative strength -- even in the military realm -- will decline and US leverage will become more strained."

Global power will be multipolar with the rise of India and China, and the Korean peninsula will be unified in some form. Turning to the current financial situation, the analysts say that the financial crisis on Wall Street is the beginning of a global economic rebalancing.

The U.S. dollar's role as the major world currency will weaken to the point where it becomes a "first among equals."

"Strategic rivalries are most likely to revolve around trade, investments and technological innovation, but we cannot rule out a 19th-century-like scenario of arms races, territorial expansion and military rivalries." The report, based on a global survey of experts and trends, was more pessimistic about America's global status than previous outlooks prepared every four years. It said that outcomes will depend in part on the actions of political leaders. "The next 20 years of transition to a new system are fraught with risks," it said.

The analysts also give warning that the kind of organized crime plaguing Russia could eventually take over the government of an Eastern or Central European country, and that countries in Africa and South Asia may find themselves ungoverned, as states wither away under pressure from security threats and diminishing resources..

The intelligence community expects that terrorism would survive until 2025, but in slightly different form, suggesting that Al Qaeda's "terrorist wave" might be breaking up. "Al Qaeda's inability to attract broad-based support might cause it to decay sooner than people think," it said.

On a positive note it added that an alternative to oil might be in place by 2025.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Articles like this remind me of the dire predictions that Y2K would plunge us into a new dark ages.

Oh my god! Oh my god! OH MY GOD!

Oh wait, FoxNews wrote this? Oh, good god....

My prediction? FoxNews no longer exists by 2025.

I have an article that I printed and saved several years ago that is very similar to this one. It boldly stated that the facts about global warming were being covered up by the Bush administration and that global calamity would eventually end in a global nuclear holocaust by the year 2011.

In 3 years I'm gonna bust it out just for laughs.

Honestly, how does such nonsense get approved to be published?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It's based on a report by a U.S. government agency. Not sure if we should call it nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    It's based on a report by a U.S. government agency. Not sure if we should call it nonsense.
    The whole basis for the war in Iraq was based on U.S. government "intelligence."

Bottom line, there might be some truth to it. Want an interesting read? Read "Resource Wars."

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Articles like this remind me of the dire predictions that Y2K would plunge us into a new dark ages.
    Amen! I knew SO many people who were downright panicky about Y2K. Personally I had more faith in our technological abilities and on New Year's Eve, we partied like it was 1999! Oh wait.......it was. Besides, why worry about things you can't control?
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Yes, I believe that I know this agency.... It is made up of Chicken Little, Henny Penny, Cocky Lockey and Goosey Loosey....

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    Yes, I believe that I know this agency.... It is made up of Chicken Little, Henny Penny, Cocky Lockey and Goosey Loosey....
    It was prepared with the future administration and congress in mind. So that people in charge have a clue about global trends and possible scenarios. If you think it's funny that your problem. I don't find it funny that U.S. is in decline.

I don't find it funny that U.S. is in decline.
    That's the problem with a lot of citizens of this country, they could care less and rather spend time bashing it. Nothing like $hitting where you sleep Unfortunately you see that a lot around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I don't find it funny that U.S. is in decline.
    That's the problem with a lot of citizens of this country, they could care less and rather spend time bashing it. Nothing like $hitting where you sleep Unfortunately you see that a lot around here.
    How'd you figure? Bashing it instead of... Instead of what? What are the alternatives? Complacency?

I rarely see anyone that is happy the u.s. is in decline. Just because some believe that the U.S. isn't always right doesn't mean they want to see anyone suffer. Just because someone disagrees with the current administration, or any administration, or doesn't support a war, doesn't mean they are shitting where they sleep.

"Bashing," though I don't like the term, is one of the most American things we can do. (I would prefer to call it "constructive criticism") It is OUR duty to keep an eye on the government, and speak our voice when they do not represent the will of the people. By just covering our heart and pledging allegiance mindlessly, we do ourselves and our country a serious disservice.

Sounds rather egotistical of you to believe that if someone doesn't share your opinions on current issues, that they are somehow less passionate (or compassionate) about the current decline. Or if they express frustration about the current state of affairs, they are somehow no longer patriotic.

That said, the U.S. going into "decline" is not necessarily a terribly bad thing. How we react to it, could be a good or bad thing. It's the natural ebb and flow of every facet of life. Gotta know the good to know the bad. Opposition in all things. Yin and Yang. Whatever you want to call it.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the U.S. has been on the top of the heap for a long time. And unfortunately, at the expense of many other people, (read: HUMANS), who are not citizens of our country. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the current affairs, but I do hold out hope that we will use this situation to take a look at ourselves, our nation, and the rest of the humans we impact around the globe, and SERIOUSLY reform our ways. We can be better.

Compared to the rest of the world, the U.S. is pretty damn "good." But, where much is given, much is required. We can be better. We should DEMAND that we are better.

To me, that is way different than "bashing." That is hope for a better future. If that means we pay a price now to pave a better path, so be it.

p.s. I think you mean "could NOT care less"

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Wow, that was pretty winded and nope...I meant what I said and call it the way I see it If the shoe fits, be happy. No reason to cough up explanations

Here is something else...

www.howobamagotelected.com
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

How'd you figure? Bashing it instead of... Instead of what? What are the alternatives? Complacency?

Exactly. I go to work every day. I pay taxes. I vote. I engage myself in my community and I strive to do my best to protect the environment. What more could I do? I think my bedsheets smell just rosey.

But I agree -- we COULD be better as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Wow, that was pretty winded and nope...I meant what I said and call it the way I see it If the shoe fits, be happy. No reason to cough up explanations
    Yep, we all know what you meant... I will continue to be happy, not because the economy is in decline, but regardless of it's decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830

How did they get Ving Rhames to agree to that interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce
    It was prepared with the future administration and congress in mind. So that people in charge have a clue about global trends and possible scenarios. If you think it's funny that your problem. I don't find it funny that U.S. is in decline.
    Did someone say that you found it funny that the United States was in decline....or did you just feel the need to express that?

Like I said, I know who prepared the report and gave you their names.

I am not sure if you would call my reaction to the article you posted "amused".....more like the feeling I get when I am standing in the line at grocery and see that Michael Jackson gave birth to an alien monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830

James

Yep, we all know what you meant...
    Judging by your response, it appears you did not

My prediction? FoxNews no longer exists by 2025.
    Oh, it'll still be around - but with a different name:

Foxy News

topless headlines!
    still fair and balanced!