Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missing Glenwood Springs woman

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Every time I see a new post in here I think there is an update news article that a body was found, or that she was found somewhere else alive. Everytime it's about the search continuing. She is a week away from month of being lost? How sad it must be for family & friends not to have closure and know the outcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    How sad it must be for family & friends not to have closure and know the outcome.
    I'm sure that part is really tough.

I hear they might have found the missing hiker.... stay tuned....

Doug French was in Baptist Draw on Sunday and saw it all come down; stay tuned to see some pics from Doug.

As we drove out to the TH of Baptist Draw we sort of intercepted a group of Emery County SR vehicles on the last leg of the road. They very kindly let us mingle at the TH as they set up a command post to deal with the transportation of a hiker's body that was discovered by three canyoneers from Colorado. Because of the weather on Saturday, they had opted to do a short version of Upper Chute by dropping into a side canyon. They discovered her body under a ledge. She was a long way from Bell canyon. She had to have crossed over FaultLine canyon to get where she was. They transported the body out of the canyon with a helicopter
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

sad story. Was it hypothermia or did she fall off the ledge?
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks Doug....

I was just looking on the map. Looks like she hiked up LWH, crossed the BTR Road and keep on hiking up the upper section of LWH. Look at the map distance wise and it's not to far (approx 5 miles), and the hiking in upper LWH is really fast (easy to hike 2 mph) but the scenery is nothing special....

just a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    sad story. Was it hypothermia or did she fall off the ledge?
    One of the deputies at the scene said it looked like she just stopped hiking and sat down under the ledge. Further travel down the canyon was impossilbe because of the drop off into Chute. Most probably hypothemia/Exposure.
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

sad ending to the story. Atleast they found the body.
    The man thong is wrong.

Was she in the drainage between the TR for Upper Chute/Baptist and Fault Line? I guess she missed the behind the reef road and just kept walking. It was just dumb-luck that these canyoneers happen to go down that drainage and find her.

So sad.

James

Here is where I understand she was found (approximately).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Body of missing Colo. woman found in Emery County
    April 27th, 2009 @ 3:31pm

EMERY COUNTY -- The body of a Colorado woman who was reported missing since November was found in Emery County Saturday.

On April 25, three men who were hiking in a slot canyon came across a human body. They notified the Emery County Sheriff's Office, and deputies recovered the remains the next day.

The body was transported to the Utah Medical Examiner's Office, and later identified as 54-year-old Rose Backus.

Backhaus was last seen checking out of a Moab hotel on Nov. 16. Her SUV was found at a nearby canyon trail head on Nov. 24. A search crew was organized, but nothing was found until this weekend.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=6294272

Body of missing hiker found
    By Erin Alberty
    The Salt Lake Tribune

The body of a Colorado woman was found this weekend in a remote canyon in Emery County five months after she disappeared on a hiking trip to Moab.

Three hikers on Saturday found the body of Rose Backus, 54, in a drainage of a tributary that drops into Upper Chute Canyon near Baptist Draw, said Emery County Sheriff Lamar Guymon.

"It looks like she got to a point where she couldn't continue down and she couldn't get back up where she came from," Guymon said. Backus was found near a 40- to 50-foot drop-off.

Medical examiners determined she died of exposure and did not indicate she had any broken bones or debilitating injuries, Guymon said.

Backus, of Glenwood Springs, Colo., was reported missing from Moab 16 days after she was believed to be hiking in Little Wild Horse and Bell canyons, Guymon said. Her car was at the parking lot of the Little Wild Horse Canyon trailhead.

She apparently hiked up Bell Canyon and took a wrong turn where the canyon opens up, Guymon said. She likely continued too far west and turned into the drainage rather than into Little Wild Horse Canyon.

She was carrying a book with a map that "doesn't give you any real idea where you should turn," Guymon said.

She had no ropes and no food and was wearing a light parka, Guymon said.

There is no sign of foul play, Guymon said.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12239335

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    She was carrying a book with a map that "doesn't give you any real idea where you should turn," Guymon said.
    Always the beta fault, right Ice. When I first read this I thought of a certain book. Anyone else think of this book.

No I'm not being a troll.

Kind of sad that she went this way. So close. They must have searched close by. I wonder how close they got. Just glad that family and friends now know. Still sad. I wish the best for them

RIP Rose.

This is where I want to gently remind you all to get a SPOT.
    I'm confident she would have been saved by having one.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Man..........I didn't pick up a paper today. Glad I have Bogley to keep me posted on my local news. Very glad they found Rose. So f'ing sad, but relief and closure in sight for her friends and family.

If she had of just followed the simple rules of leaving a route description with a responsible check in person she would probably still be alive... She was missing for a week before anyone started looking for her.... and it took them a couple of days to track her to the LWH trailhead.

Looking at where she started and where she ended up she probably wandered close to several roads. When she hit the South Baptist Draw drainage she ended up in if she had of turned up instead of down she would have hit a major road in a very short distance... heck, turning downstream was probably the only bad choice she could have made when hitting the drainage.

I'm happy they found her.... the always wondering would be hard....

sad story indeed.

...i remember just how cold it was camping behind-the-reef the night of the 15th. a stiff breeze added to the misery. day temp hovered slightly above freezing when not exposed to the ever-present stiff breeze on the day of the 16th. decided on a change of plan - Wild Horse and Farnsworth rather than LWH. potential water exposure was no place for a 4 and 1.5 year-old on that day. Prematurely broke down camp and headed home late into the evening on the 16th. Coldness...

my condolences to the Backus family and friends.