Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Glenwood Springs woman

Missing Glenwood Springs woman

Hi Guys! I know how tight many of us are on Bogley and many of us hike or/and live in Utah so that's why I am posting this topic here. I wanted to pass on this little bit of information about a local woman here in Glenwood Springs that has been missing. If by chance any of you out there ran into this woman over the past week, please contact the appropriate people. So sad to hear about news like this and I am hoping she is found as soon as possible. Here is the link to our local paper. Thanks ya'll for passing on the word.

http://www.postindependent.com/artic...20Bluff%20area

MOAB, Utah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is an update on this missing woman. It looks like they have found her car at the Little Wild Horse Canyon TH. Anyone down there on Sunday that might have seen her?

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11072834
    Search on for missing hiker in Goblin Valley Area

By Melinda Rogers
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 11/25/2008 04:12:16 PM MST

Search efforts are underway for a missing Colorado woman in south central Utah's Goblin Valley.
    Family of 54-year-old Rose Backhaus of New Castle, Colo. reported her missing Nov. 16, said Emery County Sheriff's Sgt. Bliss Mead. The woman's 2004 Ford Explorer was found parked near the trailhead of Little Wildhorse Canyon on Monday at about 2:30 p.m., Mead said.
    Search and rescue teams from the sheriff's office are combing the 3,654-acre park for signs of Backhaus, who family described as an "avid hiker."
    Mead said the woman's family and employer had not heard from her Nov.17, when she was scheduled to return home - behavior that would be unusual for Backhaus.
    "It's highly irregular for her not to report in," Mead said.
    A search plane flew over the Wildhorse Canyon area on Wednesday evening, but found no signs of the woman, Mead said. Sheriff's deputies also interviewed several hikers who returned from the trail Backhaus is believed to have hiked, but no one reported seeing her, Mead said.
    Backhaus was last seen in Moab on Nov. 15, where she'd been in Canyonlands National Park hiking, Mead said.
    It's unclear whether the woman has sufficient survival gear. Temperatures in Goblin Valley have dipped into the 20s overnight in recent days, Mead said. Backhaus has hiked alone on several previous trips, he said.
    Anyone with information on Backhaus should contact the Emery County Sheriff's Office at 435-381-2404.
    mrogers@sltrib.com.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hope all is well with her, let's hope the authorities and volunteers find her unscathed

How she was a ways from Moab. Hope she is ok.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Sadly, if without sufficient survival gear she's probably gone the way of hypothermia. Hopefully she's just meeting up with a boyfriend, and they've since driven to Vegas for the extended holiday weekend.

Hey, it could happen....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Watching FOX13 this morning, she's not found yet.
    heard car was found at Goblin state park area, still no sign

I have a theory. I think she went to do the LWH/Bell Loop. She went up one of them thinking it was the other and when she got to the Behind the Reef road she turned the wrong way and went down either Chute or Ding canyon. Maybe she realized this and tried to turn back before getting lost/caught in the cold and dark. My money is on Chute because if she had gone down Ding it is much shorter and the wash leads back to the road almost insight of the TH.

Who knows?

James

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hope they find her fast---storm is almost here.

If they are looking near goblin valley then they are never going to find her. That really shows how much news people care about details.

I hope they do find her. I think you are on to something James.
    The man thong is wrong.

Yeah the news sucks but it is because most Utahns don

yeah if anyone can find her its the SAR. I hope I never need them but it is a comfort knowing they are there.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I have a theory. I think she went to do the LWH/Bell Loop. She went up one of them thinking it was the other and when she got to the Behind the Reef road she turned the wrong way and went down either Chute or Ding canyon.
    Good guess James.....

I'll bet anyone $100 she went up Bell, missed the turn to LWH.... exited out the back of the reef and turned the wrong way....

....and than things snow balled form there and became a big shit sandwich.... she probably got turned around, maybe hurt, night fell, took shelter in a hidden crack, hypothermia set in, yada, yada....

I bet I have helped over 50 people I've ran into wandering around behind the reef who have missed the LWH turn and gotten lost.

And not to pick on the poor woman.... but no check-in person with an itinerary.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I have a theory. I think she went to do the LWH/Bell Loop. She went up one of them thinking it was the other and when she got to the Behind the Reef road she turned the wrong way and went down either Chute or Ding canyon.
    Good guess James.....

I'll bet anyone $100 she went up Bell, missed the turn to LWH.... exited out the back of the reef and turned the wrong way....

....and than things snow balled form there and became a big shit sandwich.... she probably got turned around, maybe hurt, night fell, took shelter in a hidden crack, hypothermia set in, yada, yada....

I bet I have helped over 50 people I've ran into wandering around behind the reef who have missed the LWH turn and gotten lost.

And not to pick on the poor woman.... but no check-in person with an itinerary.

I would tend to agree. Not hard to get turned around without a compass or GPSr to get you going in the correct direction.

I'd never consider going to the swell without at least a compass and my SPOT.

LWHC

When I did that loop I made it counterclockwise, up Little Wild Horse and down Bell. Navigation was never an issue going that way, but you may be on to something when you talk about doing it clockwise. Part of that loop is the road, and if you missed Little Wild Horse and continued on east, that would put you in Chute Canyon or Crack Canyon, and by then it would be getting very late in the day.

Hope she turns up, alive and well.

-Richard

I am with you guys. I bet she went up bell then either missed LWH and headed towards Chute or went the other direction toward Ding. Either way thats a pretty long hike. Add in the fact that once the light goes down all those canyons on the back side of the reef look pretty much the same. I was in the swell this past weekend and it was cold as hell between sunset to sunrise.

I hope for the best.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I believe this is day 11. She's been missing since not this last sunday but the one before that. A long time to be gone prepared for only a day hike.

I have never got much cell service after leaving Green River.
    My Cell phone was working in the south end of the Goblin Valley parking lot this past April but last month it did not work at all. This weekend I had service at the Assembly Hall and along the Mexican Mtn. Road... go figure.

more from the denver post:

A Colorado woman missing in a rugged and isolated area of eastern Utah left extensive notes in her car outlining where she had been hiking, including her arrival in a Utah state park before she disappeared, authorities said Tuesday afternoon.

Emery County Sheriff Lamar Guymon said that Rose Backhaus of New Castle left the notes in her 2004 Ford Explorer, which was discovered Monday in the parking lot of Goblin Valley State Park about 12 miles from Hanksville, Utah.

In the notes, said Guymon, Backhaus outlined where she had hiked and stayed the day before near Moab. She said she had arrived Nov. 16 at Goblin Valley State Park and was "happy."

"She said it was warm, nice and something new," said Guymon.

Guymon said that at the register at the parking lot, an individual from Colorado

and one more update from the post:

Three search dogs teams failed today to locate New Castle hiker Rose Backhaus in Utah's Goblin Valley State Park, Emery County, Utah Sheriff Lamar Guymon said this evening.

The teams, consisting of one handler and one dog per team, were brought in from Salt Lake City to search for Backhaus who was last seen in Moab on Nov. 16.

More than two dozen searchers from at least four Utah agencies who have been searching for Backhaus since her maroon 2004 Explorer was discovered Monday in the parking lot of the 3,654-acre state park, 70 miles due west of Moab.

During the past three days, searchers have also used planes and a helicopter to try to find Backhaus in the isolated, rugged canyons of the park.

Guymon said the search, which was called off after it got dark tonight, will resume Thanksgiving morning.

Backhaus' car has been left at the parking lot.

"We are leaving it there so she has a place to come back to," said the sheriff.

In some notes she left in the car, Backhaus said she had just arrived at the park on Nov. 16 after hiking and staying in the Moab area.

She said she was happy to be at Goblin Valley.

"She said it was warm, nice and something new," said Guymon.

Guymon said that at the register at the parking lot, an individual from Colorado