Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Trapping

Coyote Trapping

Does anyone here know of any laws or regulations pertaining to trapping coyotes in Utah? I read the furbearer guidebook on the DWR's website, and all it mentioned about coyotes is that they're not a protected species and can be hunted without a license year-round. I can't find any mention of whether (or where) it's legal to set traps.

The reason I ask is that I was on an ATV ride today, and I had my dog with me running alongside. I kept seeing what I later figured out were coyote traps buried under the dirt just a few feet from the road, and my dog could have easily gotten caught up in any one of them. It just didn't seem right for somebody to leave something potentially dangerous buried right next to the road.
    Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Friggin retards. You talking about the clamp jaw dealies? Who cares if it's legal? If they are in an area where a domestic pet can step on them or a human, get rid of them. I would have taken them to the pawn shop and profited a little even. But that's just me.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Trapping is legal year round on yotes, but I believe there are laws about where they can and cannot be.

thats why its best to keep your pets on a leash. also in some states (i dont know about utah) its illegal to mess with someones legally set traps.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We ran into a fellow last Spring who was telling me about his dog getting caught in a trap. The trap was set right along a trail in the Kanab area.
    He freed the dog and threw the trap into the woods. He reported it to the authorities and a was later charged with tampering with a legally set trap!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I can't find any mention of whether (or where) it's legal to set traps.
    Not only is it legal, but tax money pays people to do it on public lands. The Utah Association of Counties supports such measures and has power with the Utah lawmakers. In several counties in Utah a bounty is still paid for people who trap coyotes (paid for by taxpayers). I believe it's $20 a head in several of them, but I don't know if that's the dollar amount for every county. If you look at those ones hung on the fences likely much of the times their ears are missing. This is because they were turned in for bounties.

My dad's hounds got into coyote poison and it killed the whole lot of them.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

I destroy traps whenever I find them. Knock off a bunch of them out near Horsethief Point once. Trapping is a coward's craft.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    I destroy traps whenever I find them. Knock off a bunch of them out near Horsethief Point once. Trapping is a coward's craft.
    Look at that, they baited ya right in

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Look at that, they baited ya right in
    Indeed!

Trappers are not always cowards, though (I should clarify). They can also be piss-poor shots or guys who never get sober enough to operate a firearm.

-- Wm Blake

Indeed!
    I'm still laughing on how you got baited right in

I bet you dropped some roofing nails too.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I bet you dropped some roofing nails too.
    Not in that instance.

-- Wm Blake

So because you think trapping is evil, nobody should be allowed to do it...

*cough* *cough* fascist *cough* *cough*

Oh boy

I have trapped muskrats before and had some inadvertant catches. It is my opinion, however, that blasting the animals with a high power rifle is much more fun and sportsmanlike.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka
    So because you think trapping is evil, nobody should be allowed to do it...

*cough* *cough* fascist *cough* *cough*
    This is America. Knock yourself out if you want to hunt like a coward. But if I find your traps, I'll destroy them. Pro forma.

*cough* *hack* ASSWIPE *snork* *haruff*

-- Wm Blake

Oh, I don't trap. But it's legal so I support the rights of those who do. There's the difference. I'm accepting of what others do, whereas you seem to lean more towards vandalism.

Great example, "Reverend..."

Quote Originally Posted by ilanimaka
    Oh, I don't trap. But it's legal so I support the rights of those who do. There's the difference. I'm accepting of what others do, whereas you seem to lean more towards vandalism.
    The legality of a thing does not make it right. Trapping is a cruel, torturous way to kill an animal, as opposed to a good clean shot from a .308. I don't oppose hunting (for food), but trapping is just plain wrong, and (as others pointed out on this thread) endangers domestic pets and humans.

You can get high and mighty all you want about vandalism, if that's what you want to call it. I'd call it doing the right thing.

-- Wm Blake

endangers domestic pets and humans.
    This coming from a "Roofer"