Thread: TR: Farnham Anticline

TR: Farnham Anticline

I went out with my wife and kids for a short ride this past weekend. We went to the Farnham Anticline (also known as Farnham Dome) just east of Wellington, Utah. We took the main 4WD road south from the highway, and we saw a lot of very old abandoned gas wells along the way. After reaching the south end of the anticline, we rode a short distance west and then took a fun little trail back to the north where the truck was parked. The trail cuts in and out of a wash, or you can just ride in the wash bottom where it's wide enough. I tried out the camera mount on my ATV for the first time, and here's some video from it:

And here are some pictures:

Blog | FB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool vid and nice pics...I do have to ask, did you blow up those pumpkins with some tannerite Or did ya shot at em'

That perspective from your quad was pretty interesting Again, I'm jealous on how much land you guys have to play on

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Nice video, Udink. How did you get the camera perspective? What did you use and how was it mounted? Everytime I've mounted my DV Cam, I get so much vibration, that the video is almost useless.

Also, once you started speeding up, what became of the dog?

Ditto, cool vid. What camera and mount did you use?

When you start messing around with video mounting after a while, you'll want to incorporate all kinds of angles, such as mounted to the front rack, looking back at you the driver.... mounted under the rear as you see the suspension handling some rocks.... mounted on the back rack viewing the rider behind you...

It's fun stuff, you'll start riding just to get the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I do have to ask, did you blow up those pumpkins with some tannerite Or did ya shot at em'
    They were already there when we rode through, so we just left 'em. Shooting them would have been fun, but I didn't want to have to clean my carry piece when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    How did you get the camera perspective? What did you use and how was it mounted? Everytime I've mounted my DV Cam, I get so much vibration, that the video is almost useless.
    I've got a metal mesh basket mounted behind the rear rack (seen here), and I bolted an "L" shaped piece of metal to it, then mounted the camera to that. Once I realized that the mounting hole on nearly all cameras will accept a 1/4"-20 bolt, I figured out that I could mount the camera just about anywhere. I dampened it with a 1/4" sheet of cork between the camera and the mounting bracket, and between the mounting bracket and the ATV, and it apparently took care of most of the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    Also, once you started speeding up, what became of the dog?
    Oh, she eventually caught up to us after about 20 minutes. Actually, if you look closely you can see her on the front of my ATV. In the picture I linked above, you can also see a plastic basket on the front with a foam-lined bottom and a fleece cover that my wife made. The dog rides quite comfortably there when the trail isn't too bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    What camera and mount did you use?

When you start messing around with video mounting after a while, you'll want to incorporate all kinds of angles, such as mounted to the front rack, looking back at you the driver.... mounted under the rear as you see the suspension handling some rocks.... mounted on the back rack viewing the rider behind you...

It's fun stuff, you'll start riding just to get the footage.
    The camera is just my wife's Canon PowerShot A460 on a homemade mount. It's a cheap camera so I'm not too worried about losing it to a passing tree. I'd post a picture of the bracket setup but my ATV is in the shop today. After last weekend's test run of the camera setup, I'm definitely wanting to try different mounting locations and angles. 10 minutes of footage from the same perspective gets old pretty fast.
    Blog | FB

que'd up to be featured. Thanks for the report.