Thread: Zion in the Rain... (new bolt placed in Telephone Canyon)

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Zion in the Rain... (new bolt placed in Telephone Canyon)

TR from a May trip in Zion. I placed a bolt in Telephone.

up on Latest Rave: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave

Also, announcing some new products at the Canyoneering USA Shop:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/shop/index.html

Enjoy.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Tom I was reading your trip report and here is a pic of that stump. When people see this pic they think canyoneers have a screw loose.
    What was the big project you were doing?
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There's a much better tree to rap off of twenty feet away on the south side of the canyon. It combines the first short one and the second long one (also from a dicey anchor), both right next to each other.

We rapd off of the tree on the south side but this webbing was on the stump when we were there in july.
    Mark

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Hey Tom I was reading your trip report and here is a pic of that stump. When people see this pic they think canyoneers have a screw loose.
    Mark
    Yeah, that's the stump. It was BOMBER!!!

You know I can't tellyou what the BIG PROJECT was, in public... at least not until it's done!

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Yeah, that's the stump. It was BOMBER!!!

Tom
    It looks like you can do a simal rap with a guided rappel off that bomber of an anchor.

Thanks for the flower pictures Tom. I love that one of the tiny flowers with a finger for size comparison.

Bogley BigShot
    I love your new profile photo Tom! Classy!

That stump scared me when we did that canyon. You just reminded me how behind I am on doing photo albums! I never did this one!

Nice Rave!

This is great of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Mark
    Yeah.....I have several screws loose Mark! I'm not a canyoneer though; I just "hike with a rope"! I rigged this anchor! Please take note of the "camoflaging"! Pretty ingenious huh!? I thought of placing bolts, but knew the "ethical controversy" outweighed the "safety factor". The "Bomber" Pondo just to the south already had "Blue" webbing rigged, but we wanted to challenge ourselves with some new anchor building problem solving. A little "diciness" in an anchor always seems to make the day more exciting.
    Keep in mind that we tested the "set-back anchor" with a minimum 2kn in-line directional force (possible 3kn) before proceeding! We peeled away some of the charcoal both above ground level and below ground level to expose "harder than oak", indian kerosene, pitchwood. Go for it! After you bury a "deadman anchor" do you uncover it a little to see if it is making contact with all of the sand surrounding it? Do you give it a small bounce test? We figured that as long as we were careful we should not introduce more than 2kn? Oops!? Forgot worse case scenario! 1M fall on 3 M of rope in the system!? Wonder how many contrived anchors meet this criteria? 1:1 SSSF? Don't think so!!!! Call me "loco", but I have loaded several anchors in other "popular" hikes-canyons that were permanent and far more suspect than this one, and other "fruitcakes" are relying on those on an almost daily basis! I'm also a fruitcake....I became a member of the "Stupid-Hikers Club" (canyoneer!) many, many years ago!

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post