Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veterans Day

Veterans Day

On 11 November 1918 the Allies and Germany signed an armistice at Rethondes, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, the end of the War to End All Wars. For decades Armistice Day was celebrated in the United States with parades and fireworks to rival even Independence Day. It was a day to celebrate the end of war. Then of course World War II came along. After WWII and the Korean War, Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day to remember the veterans of all wars.

It's Veterans Day. Get up a little early, get your flag flying and take a minute to remember how lucky we are to live in this beautiful country. Take a minute to think about all those soldiers around the world, doing the job their government asked them to do because they believe in a system, a way of life. Regardless of your opinion of war or politics, find a vet and tell him or her thanks.

WWI Vet

WWII

WWII

Korea

Vietnam

Desert Storm

Mogadishu

Afghanistan

Afghanistan

Iraq

Iraq

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My flag flies everyday

Happy Veteran's Day

I was watching Ken Burns The Civil War yesterday and it was showing film footage of FDR dedicating the 75th anniversary of Gettysburg in 1939. There was a couple dozen veterans present for the dedication. It also showed one of the last Confederate soldier

Thanks, Don, for the eloquent and important reminder.

To all the veterans on this board and everywhere... thank you. You are selfless, brave and honorable, and I am so appreciative of the men and women who serve our country because, frankly, I just don't think I could do it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    [HAND SALUTE]

And let's not forget all the other conflicts and skirmishes that our troops have undertaken that never quite make the books

My flag flies proudly every day. Over the weekend, I mounted another spot light to ensure it's brightly illuminated throughout the night.

To those of you Active, Reserve, Guard and Veterans: Thank you for your service.

[/HAND SALUTE]

This was a great post! I am calling my Dad right now!

Thanks BF.

To all veterans.

A very big THANK YOU!

Big thanks to all the veterans for their service, including preserving my right to have coffee and bagles in the morning
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Here's a fitting tribute video posted on a military site I frequent:

Click Me

Big thanks to everyone for your appreciation and especially, fellow veterans for your sacrifices.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    People truly need to remember what Veterans Day is all about - honoring those who sacrifice and have sacrificed for our freedom.

My Dad was quite a bit older than my mom, and he served in both WWII (having his parents go with him to give their permission for him to sign up because he was only 17 in 1941) and Korea. He spent WWII in the Pacific on a submarine - nothing like the nuclear subs of today. I have all sorts of his memorabilia from those times which now includes the flag that was given to my mother when he died and was given full military burial honors. I will always remember and be proud.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Thanks all you vets

Anyone else thinks this holiday needs more than a few second mentions on the news? I bet most people do not even get the day off (I have never had the day off) or know it's a holiday. In Don's post stated it use to be widely celebrated. I think it should be a day off for everyone like the other major holidays. After all the vets only saved the free world And if that meant barbeques or one last road trip I still think that would be honoring vets because of the freedom to do those activities.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Thanks all you vets

Anyone else thinks this holiday needs more than a few second mentions on the news? I bet most people do not even get the day off (I have never had the day off) or know it's a holiday. In Don's post stated it use to be widely celebrated. I think it should be a day off for everyone like the other major holidays. After all the vets only saved the free world And if that meant barbeques or one last road trip I still think that would be honoring vets because of the freedom to do those activities.
    Concur.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    take a minute to remember how lucky we are to live in this beautiful country
    Everyday just not today I am thankful.

Thanks to all the Vetrans. Espcially those who are my friends and my family.
    Chere'

Thanks to all the veterans!!!! I am very proud of my son's school in that the second grade is doing a veterans day program for the school yesterday and today and I get to see it tonight! This is first time I have heard of an official school program performed for the students and parents surrounding Veterans Day, at least with my kids schools.
    Life is Good