Thread: Airport security a sham

Airport security a sham

Many of us frequent travelers have suspected it is a sham, but have had no evidence. Here's some:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security

[i]Airport security in America is a sham

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i know many of us have felt that it's a sham from the beginning, but ...

and it still kills me that one needs to take flip flops off

Incredible. Not surprising though. I've been directly behind some people waiting to go through security that I'd have pulled to the side and searched from head to toe...acting nervous as hell until they got closer to the guards & then change of personality...nothing happened. I've been searched because my metal button on the boardshorts I was wearing set off the alarm...I had boardshorts, and a tanktop on. Going on our cruise this spring we had our 'liquids' in separate baggies...about half of it an ounce or two over the limit...in sealed bottles....confiscated on the spot. I didnt set off the alarm when I went through last with metal plates in my arm...no questions asked. The least that should happen is more consistency in security. I went through more 'consistent' security checks going onboard ship than through the airport.
    ...........on a lighter note though, the last time we went to Kauai from Honolulu we got to our gate and the attendant asked us when we were heading to Kauai we had a few hours' layover - time to kill as usual right? He said in as laidback a manner as I've ever seen ' Naw, it's ok braddah, head over now, go get your rental car and by the time you are ready your luggage will be there...mahalo'. We were shocked, he was right...to the minute, and we were on our way. Hardly any security security checks to get back to Honolulu from Kauai - I love the laid back atmosphere there!

Hilarious!!!

I saw the guy in front of me smuggling at least a 6 pack of beer on a plane. I could clearly see 4 bottles in his back pocket as he walked through the metal detector and didn't set off the alarm. Granted they could have been explosive chemicals, but I didn't feel like ratting him out.

I had not considered the "beer belly" item. That's too funny. I've been making a list of items I sneak on a plane. It started with a waterbottle, and 2 weeks ago I successfully smuggled the knife pictured below. Just stuck it inside my shoes with my keys and it went right through the xray machine. I'm sure they just saw a cluster of metal, recognized keys and didn't look close enough. So far I've gotten it through 3 times, I'm sure eventually I'll get someone paying attention and have to give it up.

I also don't think relying on other people to report stuff is a good idea. Of course given how absurd the checks are, I guess I should pay more attention. I'm just not convinced there is any threat out there. Just give all the pilots a gun and lock the front cabin door and I'm happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had a pre 9/11 experience at Laguardia. I decided to conduct a little experiment on how well the metal detectors worked. I didn't put my cell phone in the bin and just kept it in my pocket. After I walked through without setting off the alarm I pulled the phone out of my pocket and showed the security guards. They just gave each other a look that said, "yah, we know we're just window dressing."
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

I'd be trying a lot of experiments too, if I didn't think I'd go to prison.