Thread: Cloning a mammoth may be possible

Cloning a mammoth may be possible

[quote]
    Healthy mice have been cloned from cells from dead mice that had been frozen for 16 years, raising the possibility that endangered species could be cloned from old carcasses that have been tossed in freezers, rather than from living cells frozen using elaborate techniques.

The finding also raises hopes of one day being able to resurrect extinct animals frozen in permafrost, such as the woolly mammoth, says Teruhiko Wakayama of the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology in Kobe, Japan, who led the research. "It would be very difficult, but our work suggests that it is no longer science fiction," he says.

The Wakayama team used a modified version of a cloning technique in which the nucleus of a mouse cell
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great, let's do the carnivores next

Re: Cloning a mammoth may be possible

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Potentially easier would be cloning cryogenically frozen humans, though the consensus among cloning experts is that it would be unethical and dangerous to clone a human. In any case, people who sign up to be cryogenically preserved usually hope to be resuscitated rather than cloned.
    Why is cloning a human unethical? It's just like invetro except instead of sperm, they use a cell. Someone enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Potentially easier would be cloning cryogenically frozen humans, though the consensus among cloning experts is that it would be unethical and dangerous to clone a human. In any case, people who sign up to be cryogenically preserved usually hope to be resuscitated rather than cloned.
    Why is cloning a human unethical? It's just like invetro except instead of sperm, they use a cell. Someone enlighten me.
    Unethical or not, why would you want to clone a human?

Cloning a mammoth would be great. Wonder how they taste?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Cloning a mammoth would be great. Wonder how they taste?
    You got me thinking how an elephant tastes like? Is baby white elephant meat more tender than old gray elephant?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    Me personally? Not interested. But lets see..

1. Mother loses son in tragic accident. Wants new son who would be twin to get chance first son never had and remind her of 1st one.

2. Vain father wants son to be identical to him in every way since he feels he's superior.

I could go on and on.. Who knows what F-ed up things people think. I was more interested in "why not" besides the argument that it's "not natural".

1. Mother loses son in tragic accident. Wants new son who would be twin to get chance first son never had and remind her of 1st one.

2. Vain father wants son to be identical to him in every way since he feels he's superior.

I could go on and on.. Who knows what F-ed up things people think. I was more interested in "why not" besides the argument that it's "not natural".

I think an even better approach would be cloning organs. If it could be done than it might eliminate the rejection that occurs transplanting another persons organs.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

I guess. Whatever floats your boat. I'm not interested either. I think that it opens a can of worms. The Chaos theory comes to mind.

1.Perhaps it is the thought of the child being related to anyone other than the parent that drives a couple to choose to go through cloning processes to have a child. Through cloning the child would only be related to one its parents. If only one partner had viable gametes and used donor sperm or ova, the child would still be related to only one parent.
    But, what sort of undue pressure is this child going to face to live up to the expectations that the previous son set?

2. Is it true that if genetic engineering were to be used in human reproduction, some altered people would be tempted to argue that some of their actions

Cloning a mammoth may be possible
    and like the good gun toting American I am... I will shoot one!!!