Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black And White

This is my cat. His name is Black-and-White.

James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nice crosses richard !
    signature

Here's my contest winner.

Last month this picture was a winner in a photo contest at my work. They were looking for photos to put in the conference rooms. It was my first victory. Okay, the competition probably wasn't that stiff.

>> Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Here's my contest winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    Last month this picture was a winner in a photo contest at my work. They were looking for photos to put in the conference rooms. It was my first victory. Okay, the competition probably wasn't that stiff.

>> Corey
    but still cool!

Very nice, JP - I esp. like no. 1...but...is that a hint of sepia I see? It don't look strictly B&W on my screen, matey! NYarrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    Very nice, JP - I esp. like no. 1...but...is that a hint of sepia I see? It don't look strictly B&W on my screen, matey! NYarrrrr!
    Thanks Hank, it is sepia. It looks cozier than B&W

After reading/seeing summit 42's post of the GSL, and his recommendation to check out the Temple of the Birds, I swung by the other day. I didn't have time to hike around the mud, and wasn't a whole lot of color, so I shot in b&w.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffers
    After reading/seeing summit 42's post of the GSL, and his recommendation to check out the Temple of the Birds, I swung by the other day. I didn't have time to hike around the mud, and wasn't a whole lot of color, so I shot in b&w.
    Temple of the Birds? Where is this on the GSL?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One
    Quote Originally Posted by waltny
    Nice shot. Something about that bridge just totally draws my attention. It's almost like it doesn't belong there. It really stands out. Mind if I ask--did you do anything in the processing of this image to specifically make the subject pop out like that?
    I did tweak it a little bit. Ive found 2 filters/actions that I used now to get this look. Creates a somewhat 3D effect in my mind. Here is another one

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I was at an art exhibit Thursday and saw some B&W with the edges blurred. Made me think of this pic I took in China. So I gave it a go.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    I was at an art exhibit Thursday and saw some B&W with the edges blurred. Made me think of this pic I took in China. So I gave it a go.
    did you use the dodge tool or did you feather it?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I am not sure what I did. I know I had two layers, I made the top one blurry then erased what I didn't want. I tried several diffrent brushes but in the end settled on two. One that erased everything and one I used around the edges. I know it was round and kind of feathered it. Hope that helps. I am so new to this, I truly have no clue what I am doing other then having fun with my pics.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    I am not sure what I did. I know I had two layers, I made the top one blurry then erased what I didn't want. I tried several diffrent brushes but in the end settled on two. One that erased everything and one I used around the edges. I know it was round and kind of feathered it. Hope that helps. I am so new to this, I truly have no clue what I am doing other then having fun with my pics.
    another similar way to do that so that you don't loose anything as you erase is to create a layer mask on the blurry layer you created. Then, use a soft-edged round brush, with black color, to paint on the layer mask (make sure the layer mask is selected when you paint!). This will reveal what is behind or underneath the blurry layer. If you then decide that you want to change something back to blurry that you've "erased" just paint over the area with a soft-egded white brush. This will conceal what's underneath the blurry layer and add the blur back to those spots.
    Leave No Trace

I definitely feel "out-gunned" when playing with the big boys in B&W, cuz I have a hard time seeing in black and white, but here's one of the train.

coming from Arches

from the great salt lake.

and another from the GSL, taken tonight.

Carpy - the depth in those GSL photos is amazing.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost