Thread: Roamin' The Roost TR on Latest Rave

Roamin' The Roost TR on Latest Rave

Got back Monday from 5 nights out in the Roost with Mike and Eric.

Checked out a lot of "new" stuff from Kelsey, including Low Spur, Water, Lost Park, Smallcatraz, and Li'l Bull, with trips through Bluejohn and Chambers thrown in for good measure.

Enjoy.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Amazing - simply amazing. I'm very jealous right about now.

Way to go, Carpey & Shaggy!

Go Team Stearns!

James

A lot of those "new" canyons were basically really short things, but contained some of the coolest features I've seen. Low Spur was ridiculously short, but the cave was VERY cool. Smallcatraz was really short (but pretty good still for how little it was) and had that amazing limestone slide thing, the pictures do that one no justice, it is very cool in person. East Fork of water was good, and had a little more for your money, but still short slot. The hike out canyon is very pretty though and the panels in horseshoe are amazing. Lost Park was kinda shallow, but a fun and pretty slot. If you nail the navigation and don't miss the entry it would be easy to do smallcatraz in the same day as they are close to each other. Even lil bull had a really cool section for 50 feet, then it was just kind of annoying with its not really pretty but extra slanted slot. Chambers was classic as always. I don't know that I'll be able to do a trip to the Roost in the future without doing that one once, it packs so much in such a small package, good stuff!

Eric.

PS Dan can do amazing things with a little point and shoot. The pics look awesome, makes me tempted to pick up one of those cameras, it performed really well in the low light for how small it was.

I cant think of a much better way to spend 5 days.

wonderful wonderful stuff, dan. thank you so much ... i needed that just now

looks like y'all had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by dan ransom
    Well, that plan would work well enough, we just needed something for the morning. There are a couple of options nearby, one of which Kelsey calls "Li'l Bull." Why he calls it this, I'm not sure. It is nowhere near the drainage he named Bull, and it is actually a smaller fork of the White Roost canyon
    basically, kelsey names Bull Point -- the point/bench/ridge/wall separating bull canyon and robbers roost near their mouths -- essentially after Bull canyon which he got from a local rancher. so Little Bull Canyon is named because it drops off from Bull Point into robbers roost. also both little bull and little white roost drop into robbers roost canyon, rather than white roost canyon.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice. I need to get out

Very cool report. We were out in Horseshoe last week and it was beautiful. I know what you mean about the expansive landscapes, that area is great for them.

Were you using a G10, a friend is trying real hard to convince me I need one.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Any tips for finding the right drainage in lost parks canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    wonderful wonderful stuff, dan. thank you so much ... i needed that just now

looks like y'all had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by dan ransom
    Well, that plan would work well enough, we just needed something for the morning. There are a couple of options nearby, one of which Kelsey calls "Li'l Bull." Why he calls it this, I'm not sure. It is nowhere near the drainage he named Bull, and it is actually a smaller fork of the White Roost canyon
    basically, kelsey names Bull Point -- the point/bench/ridge/wall separating bull canyon and robbers roost near their mouths -- essentially after Bull canyon which he got from a local rancher. so Little Bull Canyon is named because it drops off from Bull Point into robbers roost. also both little bull and little white roost drop into robbers roost canyon, rather than white roost canyon.
    Copy that. Makes more sense, but still seems strange, since it would seem it would drop in on the Bull side. Not that I think many people will be too worried about the confusion...

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Were you using a G10, a friend is trying real hard to convince me I need one.
    Panasonic LX3. 24mm lens, f2.0. Works real nice in those dark slots.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    Any tips for finding the right drainage in lost parks canyon?
    Good question. And we honestly took pictures on the way back hoping they would help. Unfortunately, there are really no distinguishing landmarks, and I think they might even be more confusing. The key is to figure out which dome is 5975T. But, therein lies the difficulty. It's hard to know which one it is. I'll see if I can dig up the picture and post one.

GPS would be easiest. Or, figure out exactly how fast you walk. After a mile and a half across the open meadow, make a sharp 90 degree turn and drop into the first drainage.

Or, you can head straight for the Moki Hole, and do the the 2nd best slot on the way up (pretty easy upclimbing) which makes the navigation a cinch.

Also, Eric is still willing to reward anyone who finds his "SPOT" down at the bottom of the last rappel. It is about 40 yards away from the rap, in the sand, on the left side of the open area.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Also, Eric is still willing to reward anyone who finds his "SPOT" down at the bottom of the last rappel. It is about 40 yards away from the rap, in the sand, on the left side of the open area.
    It is right next to the needle in a haystack. (Just messin' with you)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

Copy that. Makes more sense, but still seems strange, since it would seem it would drop in on the Bull side. Not that I think many people will be too worried about the confusion...
    yeah. i think it was lack of anything better really. i suppose he could have done something more funky like a blend and called it Bull Roost or Little Bull Roost Canyon ... but that might have been silly