Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm cashing out my 401ks for AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and AMMO

I guess I had better mention I LOVE TO SHOOT! Wow I said it and AR-15's are believe it or not are fun to shoot. Investment, yes this is, but it is an investment with BENEFITS!

I cannot believe some of you think this is a stupid move. These 401K's are not my primary retirement. They are simply extra money which has been floating around out there which doesn't add up to much, but enough to help me purchase and add what I most want to my firearm collection.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP
    I guess I had better mention I LOVE TO SHOOT! Wow I said it and AR-15's are believe it or not are fun to shoot. Investment, yes this is, but it is an investment with BENEFITS!

I cannot believe some of you think this is a stupid move. These 401K's are not my primary retirement. They are simply extra money which has been floating around out there which doesn't add up to much, but enough to help me purchase and add what I most want to my firearm collection.
    I don't think we said it was stupid, per se. But you made it sound like this was an "investment." Now, if there are other factors motivating your decision, besides an "investment," than more power to you. But your original post made it sound like this was a wise financial move. I have a hard time believing guns are the best investment around. Or even a "good" investment.

Why not buy thousands of gallons of gasoline? The price is dropping now, but it will skyrocket again soon. And people will want it later. Or wheat? Or pay off more of your mortgage? Or... Or... Or...

Why not roll them into your other 401k? Money floating around is still money. (which is really just paper reflecting the debt this great nation)

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Who's to say the monkey for a president won't completely ban the ability for people to sell guns privately? Then you'd be stuck eating ammunition, instead of beans. That would suck. Just a thought....
    Do you really think gun owning Americans would stand back and let that happen. We've been lucky enough to see how other nations brought on gun control. It wasn't with a big gun banning law. It started with registration, then placement in gun club lockers, and finally they were able to just go and take what they needed. Education is priceless and it's going to be hard for any administration to slide anything past gun owners.

Never the less stocking up before the unthinkable happens is not a bad idea.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    If I had extra money to spare, I'd purchase a 9mm Calico. Comes with a 100 round magazine and has virtually no recoil.

That or an MP5 in 9mm.

Having served in the Army, I just didn't care for the M-16/M4.

Why not buy thousands of gallons of gasoline?
    Let us know how that goes.

But then you want us to stop consuming so much fossil fuel, so your investment advice is not making sense.

Back to what does make sense, investing in materials that will increase in value and are easy to resell.

Guns & Ammo. We are in the hunting section afterall, don't let the political talk from the Left confuse you.

But then you want us to stop consuming so much fossil fuel, so your investment advice is not making sense.
    Sorry 'Beech, I haven't been active on Bogley for quite a while. I forgot that when posting, I have to fill in all the blanks, and write between the lines, so you can pick up all the literal and implied meanings of every sentence I write.

I was simply suggesting that buying thousands of gallons of gasoline is akin to buying guns. Both may very well increase in value in the future. But neither of which I find to be sound financial decisions. Hence, thank you for making my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Guns & Ammo. We are in the hunting section afterall, don't let the political talk from the Left confuse you.
    Political talk from the left doesn't confuse me. You see, I actually have a fully functional brain, and I occasionally use it to formulate my very own ideas. You should try it sometime.

Or you could perhaps give us a nice lesson on economics using oreo cookies? Or better yet, semi-automatic weapons and how they are a sound investment?

Yes, we are in the hunting section afterall. That much is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by MY T PIMP
    Do you really think gun owning Americans would stand back and let that happen.....

Never the less stocking up before the unthinkable happens is not a bad idea.
    No way. I know way too many gun owners who would take some names and kick some ass!!!

Political talk from the left doesn't confuse me. You see, I actually have a fully functional brain, and I occasionally use it to formulate my very own ideas. You should try it sometime.

I

[quote=davis_b_1][quote=James_B_Wads2000]
    I

Why don't you guys just go and gay it up somewhere else.

Like I often say, there's only ONE reason why you guys hang around in certain forums.

You're both way out of your league here. "maybe gun value will go up"? Get back to the kiddie table, the adults are talking in here.

You're both way out of your league here. "maybe gun value will go up"? Get back to the kiddie table, the adults are talking in here.
    Hook, line, and sinker...

Thanks for the laugh 'Beech. I think that might be the first time in the history of bogley/uutah you've ever tried to elevate a topic from the level of sophomoric and puerile to that of maturity and sensibility. Truly groundbreaking, indeed.

This is the exact same thing you do in every forum on here. But when we do it in hunting, somehow you are now adults and our tactics childish? Very nice.

But I will stop posting in the thread, as you wish.

that made no sense whatsoever.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    Can't we all just get along?
    This has nothing to do with Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    Can't we all just get along?
    This has nothing to do with Rodney
    Clubs, feet and fists were worth a lot more to him than guns. (I lived in L.A. during the riots. scariest time in my life)
    Life is Good

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Back to the original reason for this thread.........

Very good investment!!

50 ca. Barret
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi all. I say keep your 401ks and get your guns when you can afford them.
    New guy here so a brief intro. I used to shoot a lot 10 to 15 years ago before I became an obsessed climber and canyoneer. I'm not much of a climber these days and have started shooting a bit again with my main interest being long range target shooting (out to about 1300 yards)

With the stock market down the shitter it's not the best time to dump the 401k especially if you have a lot of stocks in it. Not to mention the taxes and penalty. In the long run your 401k will likely appreciate much more than guns which will likely just match inflation.

Every time there is a chance of dems taking control the gun industry plays on fears to make a profit. My theory is we won't see a major push against the 2nd ammendment for a while. The last major one was the asault weapns ban. Dems had control of the House for 40 straight years untill the assault weapons ban was past which was a major contibuting factor in them losing it to the Republicans. When the assault weapons ban was due to expire a few years ago and needed to be voted on to extend it most politicians didn't want anything to due with it and just let it expire. They wouldn't touch it.

By the way the assault weapons ban didn't ban one single gun. The net affect of the ban was to increase the number of guns on the street. Remember everyone new the ban was coming. Gun stores sold everything they could get their hands on. The price of Colt Hbars doubled and still as soon as they'd get one in the store it would be bought. This was the norm all across the country. Then after the ban the rifles were just modified slightly so they could still be sold. For example the ar15 (which was banned in an earlier ban which is why they were known as "colt sporting rifle") just had the bayonet lugs removed. Exact same rifle but now you cant attach a bayonet. Big deal. The funniest example was the Tech. nine which was banned specifically by name. The manufacture simply changed the name. Insted of ingraving "Tech nine" on the side they ingraved "AB 10" AB for after Ban. The only real affect was to limit mag capacity in newly manufactured guns. This resulted in a lot of compact and subcompact pistols since you could only have 10 rounds however existing mags were grandfathered in and the supply never really seemed to dry up.

Don't panic that pesky 2nd ammendment isnt going away anytime soon. I'm not saying attempts won't be made to chip away at it. Just look at California.

Anyway you asked about Rock River. I've had good luck with Rock River AR's. With non chromed lined barrels I get them to shoot better than my Rem. 700 bolt action deer rifle. I get 1/2 to 3/4 moa at 100 yards with handloads depending on model.

Their 12 week wait is closer to 6 months.

I hope this gets spell checked before it posts!