Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any MS Exchange Wizards out there? (I need help)

Any MS Exchange Wizards out there? (I need help)

Ok, I was just given a project at work with a deadline of Friday which I have no idea how to resolve.

I need to figure out how to use Exchange (or Active Directory) to add a company logo to the signature of a hundred users (rather than attaching the signatures manually one at a time).

I have read it can be done by creating a script, but like I said I need help. If anyone happens to know, I'd love to find out. Otherwise this is probably what I'll be doing the next 48 hours.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Scripted:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;317680

Or Technote 317327 (version dependent)

Purchased:

http://www.exclaimer.com/default.aspx

You rock BruteForce! Thank you!

Edit: Brute you rock! I bow to your awesomeness and speed. I'll still leave my slow response up I guess...

Ugh.. Sorry it's been like 2 years since I touched that. So my info is gonna be sketchy. If you google "vbscript" with other key words like "active directory" and such you might have good luck. If I recall correctly though we had some sort of active directory program manager integrated into the system that made scripting for me.

Another suggestion.. you could attach the signature as a text file and put together a small tutorial on how to attach it as html for your users. I found that if you give them the html as a text doc, they can paste it directly into their signature and have it done in 6 steps.

tools, options, mail format tab, signature picker, paste html, ok done.

Here is some sample html you can use. Just paste this into a text document on your desktop and change the file ending from .txt to .html and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: The friggin board is translating the html, here is a text doc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

Geeks!

But helpful, kind geeks nonetheless
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Double post..see above.

- Mark Twain

ok. I'm checking out all of your guys' input right now. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    ok. I'm checking out all of your guys' input right now. Thanks again.
    OK, but when you're done, make sure you post your scripts here so we perform a code review on them - and make KapitanSparrow go blind!

- Mark Twain

Ok, I am really close. The script I have now adds the desired signature, and I owe that to you guys. Now I am trying to figure out how to remove the existing signatures. This is what it looks for me right now:

What I really would like to do is have my vbscript remove the existing signature (at least the logo) and add my disclaimer. Ideally working internally and externally, but currently I only have it scripted for external.

Attached is a .txt with the actual html coding.

You guys have already been more than helpful, but if you guys have any other tips, I'd love them. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did you mean to attach your vbscript or just the html of the signature/disclaimer?

- Mark Twain

Just doing some thinking......

Do you have a way to give each user a logon script or can you modify an existing one?

- Mark Twain

I do have a way (3rd party program) to assign a disclaimer to each user. So the HTML script I have there is converted into a disclaimer for each user (or domain) by my choice.

So the HTML script I have there is converted into a disclaimer for each user (or domain) by my choice.
    So, the file 'vbscript.txt' that you attached contains the converted HTML and not a script, correct?

This is the HTML in your file:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

- Mark Twain

I am using HTML to write the script, and I am using
    GFI mail essentials to attach the script as a disclaimer to individual members in our domain.

I am using HTML to write the script
    I'm confused.....or maybe you and I are not using the same geeky buzzwords.

HTML is not a scripting language - it's just a static markup language that renders a web page. If a programmer needs to add dynamic logic to a web site, then that's when you would embed a scripting language like PHP, JavaScript, VBScript, or JScript into your HTML or use the latter three as standalone languages to automate a process.

Are your eyes glazing over yet, KapitanSparrow?

- Mark Twain

Well, my knowledge of HTML is strictly from running my own family websites. I do computers for a living, but I am NOT a programmer. So obviously it is me failing to get my intentions across and I appreciate your help.

I took the code that deathcricket put on the site, and tweaked it. Cutting out what I didn't need, and adding the information my company is using. We are dividing one of our companies and making a new group. The new members of that group need to have a signature through active directory for the whole company and hopefully allow the new disclaimer to be seen both internally and externally.

Quote Originally Posted by skianddive
    Are your eyes glazing over yet, KapitanSparrow?
    Nah :D I only read what I find interesting
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Well, my knowledge of HTML is strictly from running my own family websites. I do computers for a living, but I am NOT a programmer. So obviously it is me failing to get my intentions across and I appreciate your help.
    I apologize, DG. From your post, I assumed you had some knowledge of client-side and/or server-based scripting. That's why I asked about log-on scripts because I thought that they would be the easiest for your users - and the fact that DC's HTML generic signature must have used a pre-processor script to query the AD and replace the user's name, job title, phone number, department, and address in the final HTML signature.

I took the code that deathcricket put on the site, and tweaked it. Cutting out what I didn't need, and adding the information my company is using. We are dividing one of our companies and making a new group. The new members of that group need to have a signature through active directory for the whole company and hopefully allow the new disclaimer to be seen both internally and externally.
    Given that you are unfamiliar with scripting, I think you may have to follow a variation of DC's suggestion about providing your users with instructions and/or a tutorial.

I would first provide them with instructions on how to remove any logos from their existing Outlook signatures. I would then use GFI's application to add an appropriate disclaimer with the corresponding company logo to each user's signature on outgoing mail. While I've never used GFI's package, their documentation suggests that you can have different disclaimers/signatures for the users in each group, so this will avoid an AD query to obtain this info.

If you're interested in looking at an example script that would do what you want to do - i.e. create a new signature file for each user using a log-on script - this seems to be a workable one:
    http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo...asp?Index=1079

For general info on log-on scripts from our buddies at MS, check this out:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc758918.aspx

And here are some examples of log-on scripts and what you can accomplish with them:
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...on_scripts.htm

I really wish I could provide you with more help on scripting this process for you. I know being unfamiliar with programing must be frustrating, and I wish you good luck.

- Mark Twain

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Sometimes the purchase route is so much better..

Once I get in the office, I believe there's also a way to do it through Group Policies via Active Directory. You using GPO's?

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum