Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Orderville TR - Oct 18, 2008

Re: Pink elephant in the room alert!

I'll admit I don't always wear a helmet for high angle sports (canyons, climbing). Usually because I don't find them that comfortable and I get overheated easily, and, frankly, 'cause I prefer not to as my "experience" seems nicer without one (similar I suppose to Chouinard's reasons, if you've seen those).

That said, recently, I wasn't wearing mine but had it with me climbing in Red Rocks. In the sun, too hot, I clipped it to my harness. Once I got into the shade and a nice belay stance, I put it on. Partner led through, got up 60 or so feet, and promptly blew a hand and foot hold off at the same time, and came tumbling down. She always wears a helmit, but, the fall was short-ish (15 feet or so) and thank goodness she'd clipped some old tat on the route which kept her from weighting a very poor gear placement which would have blown, and taking a huge 100 foot plus fall. Anyhoo, the holds she popped off came rocketing down and the largest one clocked me right in the noggin', makin' a nice dent in the plastic. Pretty inconsequental, but, I kinda wonder if I hadn't had a helmet on, and I'd been knocked for a loop, if I really would have maintained her belay. I'd kinda think so, but...risk was there for sure. What if what if what if...and on and on.

Sure enough, next time out, my helmet protected the contents of my pack nicely while I climbed, as usual. I just prefer not to wear one some times. Personal choice, like so many other things. It's more important for me to not fall than wear a helmet and I find myself much more aware of my surroundings (and enjoying them) without one. Along with a solo climb every now and again, sure, risk is there, but...

Was a bunch of us climbing. My bet is the "average" experience in the group was no less than 30 years per. Was interersting who was wearing a helmet and who wasn't. Subject was never brought up but it was noticeable to me. 2 out of 6 sportin' helmets. Not much rhyme or reason demographic wise. Interesting.

Good on folks for wearing them.

-Brian in SLC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost
    I can attest to Kevin wearing a helmet in the city
    Or not...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Pink elephant in the room alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    I'll admit I don't always wear a helmet for high angle sports (canyons, climbing). Usually because I don't find them that comfortable and I get overheated easily, and, frankly, 'cause I prefer not to as my "experience" seems nicer without one (similar I suppose to Chouinard's reasons, if you've seen those).

-Brian in SLC
    I do have the advantage. My haircut of choice (um, God's choice) means I gotta cover my head with something. The new helmets (Petzl Elios, for instance) are cut to not infringe on your peripheral vision. Maybe not as comfortable as nothing, but... I'm looking forward to the new model which should be a little cooler.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by northernoutpost
    I can attest to Kevin wearing a helmet in the city-usually at BCMC meetings where mass chair throwing normally breaks out!
    And elbow and knee pads, for the slam dancing.
    don't forget the jock strap

Great photos, thanks.