Thread: Let's talk footwear

Let's talk footwear

I'm due for a new pair of hiking boots. My last pair were Vasque and I bought them when the Goretex XCR material was just rolling out. They've been a decent boot, but not longer are comfortable and/or perform well.

I have high arches and boney heels. I need waterproof and breathability is a plus. I also need arch support.

Not being an expert in this field, I'm open to good and bad experiences you've had with your footwear.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My only experiences have been with lower-end shoes. I used to buy Hi-Tec shoes and boots, and though they were very comfortable for me, they wore out way too fast for my liking (less than a year), especially considering that it's a 3 hour round-trip drive for me to buy new shoes. I recently bought a couple pairs of Columbia shoes and they've lasted much longer and are still quite comfortable, but the ones I wear everyday are starting to wear out after 1.5 years. My feet are pretty normal and I'm comfortable in just about any decent shoe, so take my experience for what it's worth. I basically look for durability because comfort has never really been an issue for me.

I did just order a pair of Merrell Outland hiking shoes for everyday use and light hiking over moderate terrain. They felt sturdier than my Columbias and I'm hoping that they last longer.
    Blog | FB

Asolos

I have never had any problems with Asolo. I have a pair of the tps 520 without gortex, but the leather has been good enough water protection except one really bad rain storm. They do offer a gortex version, so I imagine it would be almost bombproof. I have around 1200 miles on them so far and I take extra good care of them with cleaning and Nikwax. They are 4 years old and I couldn't ask for a better boot. My feet are narrow, low volume, but I have average arches. I have a pair of superfeet in them as well.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

I am been using two pairs of shoes this year for hiking. For shorter steeper hikes I use my Asolo Fugitive GTX boots, very light , water proof, but fairly expensive. I was not really sold on these boot until I recently put new foot beds in, now they are great.

Until this year I ALWAYs wore boots hiking until I picked up a pair of Vasque Trail running shoes this past spring. I added in the third party supper comfy foot beds and wear an ankle brace on my left ankle due to the lack of support. They are not waterproof but are vented and dry quickly, they feel more like slippers with traction rather then hiking shoes, I really love them.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I prefer the S2V Boots by Rocky. They can be sourced through Ranger Joe's.

Flash and water-resistant leather uppers withstand fire hazards and the rigors of sea-to-land warfare.
    # 1000D CORDURA nylon
    # PTFE Coating for flame resistance
    # Aegis Microbe Shield prevents bacteria and fungus growth
    # Dri-Lex lining
    # SuperFabric instep panels prevent early boot failure from rope burn
    # Drainage vents
    # Vibram soles with perforated airport cushion footbeds
    MADE IN USA. Ht: 8". Wt: 4.85lb.
    7-11

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I was not really sold on these boot until I recently put new foot beds in, now they are great.
    Yeah I have to agree with that. I have had probably 5 pairs of Asolo's. The latest I got had gtx and they weren't comfortable til I put in some new foot beds.

The earlier versions didn't seem to bother me though.

I must admit though that I really prefer trail runners over boots. I used to wear the boots. But, these days I even take 10+ mile hikes with my runners. I prefer the lightweight breathability. But if you gotta go with boots I have always loved Asolo's. I have used the Fusion GTX's for a long time. Got no traction left but they have been good boots and boast great reviews.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/fusion-95-gtx/

http://www.rei.com/pwr/product-revie...ots-Men-s.html
    -- Austin

Talk to me about these footbeds. Are they specially designed for an individual boot or can are they like orthotics that can be trimmed to fit.

Do they vary the arch height w/ these footbeds?

I use these and really like them.

But there are plenty to choose from.... http://www.backcountry.com/store/gro.../Footbeds.html

A problem I have with a softer footbeds is that my heel will move around slightly in my boot and after a 3 miles (pretty much on the dot) I will get a large blister. To fix this I just apply 4 or 5 strips of sports tape to my heels and I get that squishy goodness that lasts for mile after mile and no blisters.

These are the most recent boots that I have purchased and here is the write up from the product review section: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=934

I didn't read everyone else's posts and I encourage you to do the same :)

The best boots are Montrail! I love them!

I have these boots with last year's colors and I love them!

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...&cat=120&top=1
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

[quote=BruteForce]I prefer the S2V Boots by Rocky. They can be sourced through Ranger Joe's.

Flash and water-resistant leather uppers withstand fire hazards and the rigors of sea-to-land warfare.
    # 1000D CORDURA nylon
    # PTFE Coating for flame resistance
    # Aegis Microbe Shield prevents bacteria and fungus growth
    # Dri-Lex lining
    # SuperFabric instep panels prevent early boot failure from rope burn
    # Drainage vents
    # Vibram soles with perforated airport cushion footbeds
    MADE IN USA. Ht: 8". Wt: 4.85lb.
    7-11

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    [quote=Don]Really? I never wear army boots hiking recreationally. It just seems like there are so many better and more versatile options in the civilian market.
    Plus I don

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    Talk to me about these footbeds. Are they specially designed for an individual boot or can are they like orthotics that can be trimmed to fit.

Do they vary the arch height w/ these footbeds?
    Yeah there are tons to choose from all over. You can range from off the shelf to in the shoe all the way up to custom molded beds in the couple hundred dollar range. I didn't have the same issue as summit (foot moving around), but I do have high arches and the extra support was a huge plus. I think I just went the cheap route, found what felt good and they made a big difference.

Personally I think the key is walk, jump, go up and down slopes while you try all the stuff on. That has helped me the most. I find that the most comfortable boots will be the ones that are most comfortable from the first wear. This garbage about breaking them in is just that in my mind. REI and alot of other shops have ramps and walls and stuff you can test drive em with. Good luck.
    -- Austin

Re: Let's talk footwear

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    I'm due for a new pair of hiking boots. My last pair were Vasque and I bought them when the Goretex XCR material was just rolling out. They've been a decent boot, but not longer are comfortable and/or perform well.

I have high arches and boney heels. I need waterproof and breathability is a plus. I also need arch support.

Not being an expert in this field, I'm open to good and bad experiences you've had with your footwear.
    What size foot? I still have a few pair of the AKU Taiga G-tex boots left. AKU left the US Market in August, but I've foungd the Taiga to be the absolute best, most comfortable, anatomical lasting board, polyurethane midsole, vibram soled, out of the box-onto the trail hiking boot available. Problem would be is if you end up finding a pair, and you find that they are just perfect for your needs, you'll probably not ever find another pair.

I use approach shoes for most day hiking. My favourite ever are a pair of Columbia something or others that I can't find anymore. They are thrashed, and I only use them in wet canyons with neo socks (because the inside is thrashed, too.)

For big hiking/backpacking/mountaineering, I have had trouble because of very wide feet. I went on a search a couple of years ago. Money was no object - I wanted to invest in my feet, boots that would last a long time, and keep me hiking a long time.

I decided on Meindl. Handmade in Germany, by a family that's been making shoes/boots since Petrus Meindl started in 1683.

Here's the pair I got, the Island PRO Wide:

Designed for:
    - demanding trekking
    - extended hikes in the high mountains

They are carried by one shop here in Vancouver, AJ Brooks, where the service was excellent. They cost about $350 but have been totally worthwhile.

I have a pair of Merrils that I love. Took me a good part of a day to find a pair that I liked.

I have over 300 miles on these shoes, and they still have more miles to go.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    I have a pair of Merrils that I love. Took me a good part of a day to find a pair that I liked.

I have over 300 miles on these shoes, and they still have more miles to go.
    The quality of Merrells product has gone to shit over the last few years. I have had two pairs of the Grand Traverse.

First pair was AWESOME!
    I picked up second pair a few years ago and they fell apart after a year. There are 6 or 7 pairs of Merrells in my home.. all the older boots and shoes have outlasted the new pairs.

Blog Entries
    I have the Merrell Moab (mid) shoes. I took them to Mystery Canyon, Echo Canyon, Red Hollow, Red Cave, Bryce Canyon, Moab, Keyhole Canyon, The Subway, lots of other random dry hikes - and so far - they are holding put and they are staying as comfortable as the 1st time I put them on and they have taken quite the beating too! Although, I prefer my 5.11 Canyoneers for most of the canyons - these are a very close second to me. Oh, and the ankle support is very good since I tend to roll my ankles a lot due to my right foot that supenates a lot....argh.

Now where's my money Merrell for advertising your shoe?!!!! heh

I ended up with a pair of these:

They were a perfect fit in my old boots and I'll be trying them out this coming weekend.

Compared to the thing they replaced - I can't help buy expect them to be much better.

Thanks again for the link Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I am been using two pairs of shoes this year for hiking. For shorter steeper hikes I use my Asolo Fugitive GTX boots, very light , water proof, but fairly expensive. I was not really sold on these boot until I recently put new foot beds in, now they are great.

Until this year I ALWAYs wore boots hiking until I picked up a pair of Vasque Trail running shoes this past spring. I added in the third party supper comfy foot beds and wear an ankle brace on my left ankle due to the lack of support. They are not waterproof but are vented and dry quickly, they feel more like slippers with traction rather then hiking shoes, I really love them.
    I couldn't disagree more. I'd rather put a hot, sharp, pointy object through the center of my retina. After that I'd stick the rod in an electrical outlet and close the circuit with home boy in my underwear.

If you want to talk of serious blisters and the cushion of cement, talk of Asolo.