Thread: Keyhole, Oct 21, 2008

Keyhole, Oct 21, 2008

A nice little canyon that's been covered to death, but I went and I enjoyed. So I'll keep the words short, and post some photos...

On Monday, Oct 20, Peter and I did Keyhole Canyon (without a camera). We had a great time. Peter left that afternoon, but I spent one more night in Zion, then was heading to Moab to meet Richard for dinner. This left me just enough time to zip through Keyhole again (with a camera) on Tuesday morning!

A couple of minutes into the middle Keyhole slot, this poor dead thing was waiting to startle the unwary:

Me, with way more rope than I needed - but I don't want to cut it yet...

The long swim - so cool!

Excellent little canyon - I came out all giddy, even the second time through in two days.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ugh! Couldn't you smell that dead deer long before you discovered it? Gross!

Tom Jones: Clean-up on aisle 5...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Fresh. Fresh as a daisy. There wasn't a smell to be had.... Yet.

I met up with a couple from New Jersey who were going through the second day, at the first rappel. The gentleman had stood on the deer, and was surprised at the softness. It took a moment for him to realize what it was. The photo is from down-canyon and the head is hidden when approaching, by the chockstone at the top of the photo. I almost stepped on it myself, the first time through.

I let the young lady at the BC desk know that it was there, when I went to get my second permit. She was under the impression that it was an older carcass from earlier in the season that somehow washed down from the upper narrows recently. I tried to convince her that it was fresh, but she didn't seem to either get it, or agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    I tried to convince her that it was fresh, but she didn't seem to either get it, or agree.
    That is a surprising attitude coming from the back country desk. Hmmmm.

Great photos. I don't think I would want to be in there in a week or so. It is a fun little romp. One day I am going to do a midnight run through there. I don't know why, but it must be done. Yes, it has been done before but not by me.
    Life is Good

That deer has got to be smelling bad by now.

I would like to hear if/how it gets removed from the canyon.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Ugh! Couldn't you smell that dead deer long before you discovered it? Gross!

Tom Jones: Clean-up on aisle 5...
    Mmmmm. Tasty?

Small deer?

Temps have been cold, so it should not be too putrid yet. anyone up for a deer hunt this week???

Tom

Couldn't really say, as to tasty or not... Didn't want to dig in before anyone else got a chance.

At least it's not "WET clean-up on aisle 5..."

I'm not really up on deer sizes. I'd call it regular sized. Medium, as opposed to small. I wouldn't want to try to lift it out on my own, put it that way.

I'd love to help out, but I'm not up for another trip down so quick!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I'm not really up on deer sizes. I'd call it regular sized. Medium, as opposed to small. I wouldn't want to try to lift it out on my own, put it that way.
    Clearly you've never lived in the south or east. That would be a large dear.

When I lived in Texas there was a man that had two sets of Deer racks. One small one from the south the other from Utah. Non westerners would come over and ask is that an elk. He replied no thats a small deer from Utah. Also point out how the Utah rack had more points but was scored less (one side) vs. the other deer where all points are counted.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Couldn't really say, as to tasty or not... Didn't want to dig in before anyone else got a chance.

At least it's not "WET clean-up on aisle 5..."

I'd love to help out, but I'm not up for another trip down so quick!
    You didn't look at the tag??

Would you send me the original photo if you have it, to canyoneeringusa at gmail dot com - ? Thanks.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    You didn't look at the tag??

Would you send me the original photo if you have it, to canyoneeringusa at gmail dot com - ? Thanks.

T
    Didn't want to reach under the tail for the tag...

E-mail sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    That deer has got to be smelling bad by now.

I would like to hear if/how it gets removed from the canyon.
    Is the deer still in Key Hole?