2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Merry Piglet 3A II

__________________________________________________ ___________
    NORTH WASH, UTAH
    Hogwarts - ACA Rating: 4A I
    __________________________________________________ ___________

General Description:
    A scenic 1 1/2 to 2 hour canyon with a 45 minute approach hike, multiple rappels, some minor downclimbs and a small silo to cross.

Gear:
    Pothole escape tools for crossing a silo. Webbing, quick links, ropes for rappels to 90', helmet, camera, etc.

Driving:
    Drive south on Hwy 95 from Hanksville and park at mile post 33.5(UTM 545206mE 4201592mN). Hike back to the Hog Springs Rest Area at mile post 33.2(UTM 544728mE 4201834mN).

Hiking:
    Follow the trail through the Hog Springs Picnic Area and up the Hog Canyon Trail. Fifty yards after crossing the creek, leave the trail and cross the creek a second time to access a brushy gulch which leads up onto the sandstone on the east side of a small canyon which enters Hog Canyon near it's mouth. Continue upwards tending to the left(LUC) to gain the left-side(LUC) benches of the small canyon and make your way to the high point or pass of the ridge above you. Next, find your way down from the ridge by way of a rocky gully to the beginning of the slot(UTM 544991mE 4201228mN).

Descent:
    You will find several rappels up to 80' and some minor downclimbs in this short canyon. Midway through the canyon is a small silo which requires one to either enter and exit using a pack toss, or to stem over with exposure.

__________________________________________________ __________________
    NORTH WASH, UTAH
    Merry Piglet - ACA Rating: 3A II
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Gear:
    Webbing and Rapid links for anchors, Ropes for up to 70' rappels, Wading and a possible swim during wet conditions.

Drive:
    Drive south on Hwy 95 to 1/4 mile south of the Hog Springs Picnic Area and park at the mouth of the canyon(UTM NAD 84 545364mE 4201550mN).

Approach:
    Boulder hop up the rock pile at the roadside until you come to an impassable dryfall. To the right(LUC) is a short wall which will require approximately YDS 5.6 rock climbing moves but is easy to ascend with a handline once you have someone up. Then cross the wash to the opposite side and make your way up a small rock-filled gully until you can make your way out, up and left, to gain the slickrock which will lead you up steeply to a convenient whitish rim which can be followed alongside the canyon to it's head(UTM NAD 84 545603mE 4202047mN).

Descent: Descend the Merry Piglet. You will encounter 1 to 6 rappels and possibly some water.

__________________________________________________ ________________________
    NORTH WASH, UTAH
    Morocco Canyon - ACA Rating: 3A I
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

General Description:
    A 1 to1 1/2 hour canyon with a 20 minute approach hike involving rappelling and downclimbs, anchor skills and some wading when conditions are wet.

Gear:
    Standard technical gear. Ropes, webbing and rapid-links for 4 to 6 rappels to 50 feet.

Driving Directions:
    Drive south on Hwy 95 from Hanksville and park at UTM NAD 84 544657mE 4203408mN.

Approach:
    From the car spot, climb up a medium steep bowl in the Wingate sandstone at the location shown on the map. There should be no more than a few spots where one has to make a high step. No climbing. After getting up about 50 feet of sandstone to the semi-circular bowl, make your way up and across to the right(south) with the intention of reaching the rim that makes up the devide between the Kayenta and Wingate sandstones. Go as high as possible as you go along the rim and that will lead around the corner and up to the head of the small slot at UTM NAD 84 545034mE 4203138mN.

Descent:
    Descend the canyon. You will find several rappels and downclimbs in a very short canyon. There may be places where you can rig retrievable anchors.

i just wanted to thank dave for sharing this route information with us.
    he's spent a bit of time putting this together, and bringing out the nuances
    of that wonderful, wonderful canyon ... north wash.

these kind of slots are quite versatile to suit a variety of interests. whether
    you're just looking for something new, or you're on an arrival or getaway day,
    or perhaps with a group who want to canyon together but also want to
    choose the number of canyons done in a day ... or maybe you're en route
    along 95 and just need to take a break to stretch the legs before you're
    on your way again. the close proximity of these canyons to the road adds
    to their flair.

many thanks, dave

Excellent stuff - thanks for putting that up here, Stefan. I long to return to the North Wash slots!

Excellent! Thanks for posting these!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.