Thread: Giant Crystal Cave Special NGC

Giant Crystal Cave Special NGC

There is a special on a cave with some of the largest crystals on earth. It is in Mexico, boasts something like 120 deg temps with 80% humidity and has bus-sized (or bigger) crystals. The cave's name is Cueva de los Cristales (pretty original ). I caught just a bit of the special the last time it aired and it is wild. Check it out if you are interested.

On the web: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...-3569/Overview

Article: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...ants/shea-text

Austin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WOW! Nov 17th... Gotta mark my calendar, DVR wont go that far ahead, shucks.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    WOW! Nov 17th... Gotta mark my calendar, DVR wont go that far ahead, shucks.
    Yeah you really should. Apparently it's so hot in there that they can only stay for like 20 minutes and have to wear respirators and special suits and stuff. I'm looking forward to it. Incidentally I believe NGC has a "Remind Me" button on there. Not sure what that does but it might work for you.

Austin

Well obviously the activation energy for nucleation was orders of magnitude greater then the activation energy associated with crystallization.

Gives a whole new meaning to the word phenocrysts.

James

Bumpage for remindage.... its tonight got the dvr ready!!!

Anybody catch this episode? I had other stuff going on (and I totally forgot - even with the remindage)

If you saw it, how was it?
    -- Austin

Quote Originally Posted by millsclimber
    Anybody catch this episode? I had other stuff going on (and I totally forgot - even with the remindage)

If you saw it, how was it?
    It was pretty cool. What I thought was amazing was the fact that even today there are places so intense that we can only explore them for 30 minutes at a time. The said they estimate the crystals to be about 500,000 years old...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Cool DWayne! Guess I'll have to catch it next time around - if there is one. Jeff, how do you get by without NGC? No dog whisperer
    -- Austin

Cool DWayne! Guess I'll have to catch it next time around - if there is one. Jeff, how do you get by without NGC? No dog whisperer
    Its on again saturday at 10 AM
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

By exploring places like this, instead of just watching it

Just kidding, I've never been to cave THIS cool!