Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacker Letter of the Month

Backpacker Letter of the Month

This was in the November 2008 issue of Backpacker Magazine. I got a kick out of it, and thought I'd share

"I'm alarmed to see Utah in seemingly every issue of BACKPACKER. All that beautiful scenery? Trick photography. The dark night skies? Only because few are foolish enough to live here. The pristine bearty? Until lately, people know better than to tromp thrrough these dangerous canons. Stay out of Utah. Spare yourself the misery. There's nothing to see here."

-Andrea Marwedel, Murray, UT

Guess that 'bout sums it up!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like a person on Stefan's crusade to keep people from moving into Utah from points unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Sounds like a person on Stefan's crusade to keep people from moving into Utah from points unknown
    Can the blame be placed years ago on Edward Abbey and 'Desert Solitare' for people wanting to visit?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

That was good.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

I agree. Stay out of Utah and off our trails. There are no fish in our streams, rivers, and lakes so the fishing sucks. There is very little game here so the hunting sucks.Stay off our ski slopes because the snow here sucks. AND you can't get any alcoholic beverages here either.

More solitariness for me.

I just read that in Backpacker a few minutes ago. Have to agree; time to stop advertising and start telling people its shitty here.

I'm form Virginia, and am one of those GOD DAMN EASTERNERS that will soon be a full-time resident of Utah. Here in the southland, we refer to Northerners who visit as YANKEES and to those who visit, fall in love with it, and stay as DAMN YANKEES.

Anyhow, people here ask if we're out of our minds wanting to move in among those "crazy Mormons." That's always their first question. "Don't the Mormons scare you?"

I always retort with, "What, Falwell and Robertson don't scare you? They're both from Virginia, and the Southern Baptists and Bible Belt Fundamentalist snake-handling whack jobs are WAAAAAAYYYYYY more 'scary' than any Mormon could ever wish to be."

But now I just stay quiet, because it occurred to me that the Mormons are scaring people away from Utah. And I love that. Yes, I'm one of those assholes wants to move in and then close the door. I admit it. And THANK YOU BRIGHAM YOUNG!!!
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    I'm form Virginia, and am one of those GOD DAMN EASTERNERS that will soon be a full-time resident of Utah.
    That's it!. I'm moving back east. Too many liberals moving in
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I'm form Virginia, and am one of those GOD DAMN EASTERNERS that will soon be a full-time resident of Utah.
    That's it!. I'm moving back east. Too many liberals moving in
    Don't do it man!!! It's no good to go East.

Plus, I'm pro-choice and pro-gun. So what the hell does that make me? I'm not sure that fits the liberal boilerplate.

-- Wm Blake

Damn it. Can't move east - family lives there.

Why would you leave beautiful Virginia?
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Damn it. Can't move east - family lives there.

Why would you leave beautiful Virginia?
    Because I love the La Sal mountians more than anyplace on earth. It feels like home, where the heart is.

My family has old old roots in the Chesapeake Bay country, and, while it would be hard to leave, it doesn't hold a candle to Southeast Utah. Plus, overdevelopment has ruined Virginia as a whole. It's horrible, disgusting, and tragic what the cut-and-run profiteers have done to the Commonwealth. It's called Reconstruction.

-- Wm Blake

Reconstruction. Wow, that's some old bitterness your reffering to.

I'm confused; there are some pro-gun liberals so thats not unheard of, but isn't pro-choice a liberal stance on the issue?

You be sure to leave your alternative viewpoints in Virginia, we don't need that stuff in Utah.

Re: Backpacker Letter of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    This was in the November 2008 issue of Backpacker Magazine. I got a kick out of it, and thought I'd share

"I'm alarmed to see Utah in seemingly every issue of BACKPACKER. All that beautiful scenery? Trick photography. The dark night skies? Only because few are foolish enough to live here. The pristine bearty? Until lately, people know better than to tromp thrrough these dangerous canons. Stay out of Utah. Spare yourself the misery. There's nothing to see here."

-Andrea Marwedel, Murray, UT

Guess that 'bout sums it up!

i subscribe to the belief that the more people know about a place the more they will protect it ... and the wildlands of utah need some serious protection ... however, knowing and visiting utah is different from moving to utah.

as far as the dangerous canyons, there is something to be said for being prepared.

as far as nothing to see here ... you're a century too late for that comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I'm confused; there are some pro-gun liberals so thats not unheard of, but isn't pro-choice a liberal stance on the issue?
    That's the dichotomy.

And don't scoff at Reconstruction. We all know sprawl development in the South is just one more way the Yankee Menace is trying to bury us and kill our identity.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    That's the dichotomy.

And don't scoff at Reconstruction. We all know sprawl development in the South is just one more way the Yankee Menace is trying to bury us and kill our identity.
    Yankee Menace

I hope people don't decide to stop in Colorado once they flee Utah.

It sucks here too. Sucks & blows.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

I'm a few years late to this thread, but I'm glad you liked my letter. :)

nice

is the Rev living in Utah?

Great forum, I'm glad I found it.

I was googling my name to see if my FB account showed up (please God, no, the Utah conservatives are going to find me and kill me if they see my political FB rants) and saw myself here instead. *Very* cool distraction.

Welcome....

You will do well here.....