Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: newb DSLR owner

  1. #1

    newb DSLR owner

    I only ever come to the darkroom to sneak a look at the great pictures. Im awlays in awe

    I've always been intimidated by slr cameras, they seem way out of my league but I lucked into one at a salvage auction last week . Kirk showed me how to turn it on and guided me to a lens to get started. Now I am studying and trying to learn how to use this thing and finding out how much it costs to join this hobby .

    All the posts with instruction and advise have been helpful, so thanks And keep the great pictures coming, they are an inspiration. Maybe someday I'll luck into some of my own worthy of posting here

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Carbon Footprint Donor JP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In Nothing But Sunshine
    Posts
    8,849
    Good luck with it Which one did ya get?

  4. #3
    I am with you on being a newb with the SLRs. I figure I am at least a year away from really knowing how to use it properly.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Which one did ya get?
    It is a Nikon D2x, came with everything in the original box (so cheap I feel bad about mentioning it). I bought a 50mm f/1.8 af lens and a 2 gig card to get started taking pictures. Looking at other lenses but not sure what to get next. What do you think? I'm also trying to make it to a class at Picturline tomorrow.

    Crazy thing is I just bought a new Olympus point and click a few weeks ago because my old one was worn out

    I'm spending 10 days camping on the Blue mountains and surrounding country (southeast Utah) starting this Friday and would love to be able to get some good pictures. I'll just take a lot and hope for the best

  6. #5
    Ten days with a 2 gig card? man... i burn through 2 gigs in 2 or 3 slot canyons.... but i do take a TON of pictures...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

    Peter Gibbons - Office Space

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    Ten days with a 2 gig card? man... i burn through 2 gigs in 2 or 3 slot canyons.... but i do take a TON of pictures...
    yeah, I had to upgrade to the 4gb card, and we still pack the 2gb just in case. The wife gets mad at all the pics I take. But at almost 4 frames per sec, she can choose the best shot to scrapbook.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    Ten days with a 2 gig card? man... i burn through 2 gigs in 2 or 3 slot canyons.... but i do take a TON of pictures...
    Do you always shoot in the highest resolution and size? I know if I turn it up and turn on high speed crop etc... it sure limits the pictures the card can hold but I don't know when I would ever need a picture that big...12+mp. Maybe after I understand what that even means

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    yeah, I had to upgrade to the 4gb card, and we still pack the 2gb just in case. The wife gets mad at all the pics I take. But at almost 4 frames per sec, she can choose the best shot to scrapbook.
    If I turn this camera down to a mere 6.9mp it will shoot 8 frames per second with a shutter lag of less that 37miliseconds (so the book says) That will fill a memory card up quick.

    I find myself looking at the pictures as soon as I shoot them and deleting any that are not good. Is there a downside to that?

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I find myself looking looking at the pictures as soon as I shoot them and deleting any that are not good. Is there a downside to that?
    In the biz, we call that "chimping," and I do it all the time, heavily, since I don't want to come back to the office on deadline and have to weed through 300 frames.

    Look, cards are really cheap now, so just snag about five of them and shoot all you want! I got some 2GB Sandisk cards on Amazon the other day for $15 apiece. B&H has some cheap cards for cheap (Kinston and Delkin) too.

  11. #10
    I got a 16gb sd card on newegg.com for 45 dollars. I take all the pictures I want and never fear running out of space.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I got a 16gb sd card on newegg.com for 45 dollars. I take all the pictures I want and never fear running out of space.
    Sweet, thanks for the link. This camera uses compact flash cards but they still have a kingston 4gb 8mbps for $15.99 or the good 4gb 20mbps for $39.99. seems like a great price.

  13. #12
    I use a 4gb card and I came pretty close to filling it during a week Glacier (3.7gb). Now I am in need of two larger hard drives, one for storage and one for backups.

  14. #13
    I just bought two 1TB drive at onsale.com for $89 each.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Which one did ya get?
    It is a Nikon D2x, came with everything in the original box (so cheap I feel bad about mentioning it). I bought a 50mm f/1.8 af lens and a 2 gig card to get started taking pictures. Looking at other lenses but not sure what to get next. What do you think? I'm also trying to make it to a class at Picturline tomorrow.

    Crazy thing is I just bought a new Olympus point and click a few weeks ago because my old one was worn out

    I'm spending 10 days camping on the Blue mountains and surrounding country (southeast Utah) starting this Friday and would love to be able to get some good pictures. I'll just take a lot and hope for the best
    Given that you are a biker I'd say look into a wide angle/fisheye type lens, makes for some great up close action shots and also fun to play with on all sorts of other stuff when you want to cram more into the frame or get a different (distorted) perspective. I still haven't stepped up to a SLR but love the fisheye I've got for my Olympus C-7070. I take way more shots without it on because it's a little time consuming to put it on but most of my favorite riding shots were taken using it.

  16. #15
    In the biz, we call that "chimping,"
    Why is it calling chimping?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    In the biz, we call that "chimping,"
    Why is it calling chimping?

  18. #17
    So how many times do you think you've deleted an excellent picture because you didn't catch something on your 2-3 inch LCD screen that you otherwise would pick up when reviewing your pics on a monitor?

  19. #18
    yeah, I had to upgrade to the 4gb card, and we still pack the 2gb just in case. The wife gets mad at all the pics I take. But at almost 4 frames per sec, she can choose the best shot to scrapbook.

Similar Threads

  1. Another Newb
    By PolarXJ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 03:45 AM
  2. SLC newb
    By catch22 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 08:56 PM
  3. Help Me Choose a New DSLR
    By gonzo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 10:46 PM
  4. Hi ppl Newb here
    By monkeyboy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 06:17 AM
  5. uutah newb
    By mxmissile in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •