Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teen dies after crowd taunts him to jump

Teen dies after crowd taunts him to jump

Quote Originally Posted by Foxnews
    Jeering onlookers goaded a teenager in Britain to jump to his death, undermining police efforts to talk him down, and then took pictures of the body.

Tuesday as 17-year-old Shaun Dykes prepared to jump from the top of a multi-storey carpark in Derby, northern England, spectators allegedly shouted to him: "How far can you bounce?," the U.K.'s MailOnline reported.

As Dykes hesitated for three hours on the ledge while police unsuccessfully tried to reason him out of taking his life, teenagers who had gathered below shouted "Jump" and "Get on with it," according to police and witnesses.

Then after Dykes lay in a crumpled heap on the pavement the same hecklers rushed out from behind the police cordon to take photos of the body.

"When he (Dykes) fell, lots of people were screaming and crying but there were several groups of youths who ran from behind the cordon and looked like they were taking pictures with their mobile phones," a local shopkeeper was quoted as telling the MailOnline.

"I found that sickening -- why would anyone want to take pictures of something like that?"

Dykes was believed to have been suffering from depression and struggling to overcome a relationship breakdown.

Superintendent Andy Hough, of Derbyshire police, said he was disappointed and disturbed by the people heard encouraging Dykes to jump.

"I find it a disturbing and shocking reflection on society when people feel inclined to do that," Supt Hough told the MailOnline.
    That's so sick. They should all get a public beating. F-ing kids are out of order.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Stupid emo.... I would have taunted him too and moved on.
    I'm not saying I would have made a sport of it or started taking bets, let alone take pictures, but if he's dumb enough to go up there as a 'threat', then good, remove one more idiot from society.

From that height I can't see him bouncing more than 3-6 inches anyway.

It was ultimately his decision. Let's not blame the crowd for making him do it, they didn't place him on that ledge, he did himself with that very outcome already ingrained in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    It was ultimately his decision. Let's not blame the crowd for making him do it, they didn't place him on that ledge, he did himself with that very outcome already ingrained in his head.
    Coersion is a powerful force in many people's lives and I think it's extrememly tragic that this creepy/insensitive mob mentality might of influenced his decision to actually jump. He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

I'm sure that if this person was someone you cared about, you'd feel quite differently!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    I'm not saying I would have made a sport of it or started taking bets, let alone take pictures, but if he's dumb enough to go up there as a 'threat', then good, remove one more idiot from society.
    Wow, this says volumes about you and your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child

That's absolutely right. I'm cold and heartless. Tell you what, why don't you start typing these volumes and get back to me. Seriously, tell me what kind of person you think I am based on this sole opinion.

You know what I should have done was stand there and cry "don't do it, it's not worth it". Pffffft yeah right. Like JP said, it was ultimately his decision. He either was going to do it or not long before he got up there. I didn't push him.

His family ought to sue the onlookers for taunting him, based on the precedent of people suing music artist for singing lyrics about committing suicide. I bet ya he was playing a video game where he could jump from building to building and not get hurt, they should sue them too.

Look, I'm sorry the kid got to that point in his life, but it's still stupid.

I get your point that it was ultimately his decision. Kid was sick in the head. For all we know he would've jumped anyway. But it does not justify the actions of these morons who apparently don't know enough about compassion or values. Wonder if they would do the same if it was their mother, father, sister, brother. I have no respect for this type of people.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I get your point that it was ultimately his decision. Kid was sick in the head. For all we know he would've jumped anyway. But it does not justify the actions of these morons who apparently don't know enough about compassion or values. Wonder if they would do the same if it was their mother, father, sister, brother. I have no respect for this type of people.
    Absolutely. Well put, KS.

Agreed.
    In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work annoyed the guy caused a traffic jam causing me to be late.

That's absolutely right. I'm cold and heartless. Tell you what, why don't you start typing these volumes and get back to me. Seriously, tell me what kind of person you think I am based on this sole opinion.
    Naw, youre doing a fine job of that yourself.

Agreed.
    In regards to my previous statement, I wouldn't have stood there and taunted the guy but I probably would have made a cruel remark and made my way to work annoyed the guy caused a traffic jam causing me to be late.
    Flip Flopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

I'm sure that if this person was someone you cared about, you'd feel quite differently!
    Hey Randi, it was in his head already. Nobody put him up there. If he contemplated it for awhile, so be it. In the end it was his and only his. Gee Randi, what would you have done to save his life?

No Randi, I wouldn't. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. Coercion is for weak people, hence the reason for him up there in the first place. The police tried the coercion route, but obviously it isn't what he wanted to listen to. He knew what he wanted and went for it. I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

Bottom line, his decision with or without morons down below.

He vacillated for three hours! He obviously had some reservations about actually going through with it.

Hey Randi, it was in his head already. Nobody put him up there. If he contemplated it for awhile, so be it. In the end it was his and only his. Gee Randi, what would you have done to save his life?

No Randi, I wouldn't. I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

So do you think that your god or Christ is going to be looking upon these taunters favorably at judgment time?

Also aren't you judging a person with whom you know absolutely nothing about and condemning them to hell. Do you know if this person has a treatable mental illness? Do you know what kind of abuse this/these person/people are getting at home? There could be millions of things wrong here.

I know of a girl who was sexually abused by her father for years. Her father who was a Mormon bishop. When she tried to get help no one would help her. They all blamed her. After all her father was a respected bishop. She was alienated. There is no way anyone can understand that kind of pain and sorrow.

So easy to condemn and blame. So hard to try to understand and help.

No Randi, I wouldn't. I see suicide as a selfish act that impacts loved ones far after the act was committed. (Remember, I'm the one that would throw a puppy off of a cliff) I don't care for people who take that way out and if it was a relative, I still would see it as it was, the person making that decision. (The only way I see it being acceptable; when the quality of life has diminished so much, there is no quality to it anymore) I won't be blaming the morons shouting and yelling, ultimately it's on the one with the mindset. Unlike you, I wouldn't be looking to lay the blame someplace else.

So do you think that your god or Christ is going to be looking upon these taunters favorably at judgment time?

Also aren't you judging a person with whom you know absolutely nothing about and condemning them to hell. Do you know if this person has a treatable mental illness? Do you know what kind of abuse this/these person/people are getting at home? There could be millions of things wrong here.

I know of a girl who was sexually abused by her father for years. Her father who was a Mormon bishop. When she tried to get help no one would help her. They all blamed her. After all her father was a respected bishop. She was alienated. There is no way anyone can understand that kind of pain and sorrow.

says the man that apparently knows everything about me based on one sentence.

says the man that apparently knows everything about me based on one sentence.
    Oh no. I never said everything. Only volumes of a portion of your character on this particular subject.

And it was 2 sentences.

My God? He's yours as well What God decides isn't up to me, if it were up to me, I would be God then The way I look at it, I wasn't one of the morons down below. And to lay the blame on bystanders is ridiculous, Jumper Jim ultimately made his decision.

I never commended anyone to hell. Suicide is not a Bible favorite, but again, not my decision. That's above my pay grade You're right, there could have been a million things wrong, again, wasn't my decision to jump, nor was it yours, it was Jumper Jim

Sorry to hear about your friend. Has she made the decision to take her own life? I'm assuming the answer is no?

I don't care to understand everyone's problem. I'm just saying, I only look at suicide as a way out when your quality of life has lost its quality. If someone wants to jump, so be it. I don't have to agree or disagree with it. It happens everyday, many times a day. If ultimately that is what they want to do, so be it.

nope you didn't say portion....
    FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!

My God? He's yours as well What God decides isn't up to me, if it were up to me, I would be God then The way I look at it, I wasn't one of the morons down below. And to lay the blame on bystanders is ridiculous, Jumper Jim ultimately made his decision.

I never commended anyone to hell. Suicide is not a Bible favorite, but again, not my decision. That's above my pay grade You're right, there could have been a million things wrong, again, wasn't my decision to jump, nor was it yours, it was Jumper Jim

Sorry to hear about your friend. Has she made the decision to take her own life? I'm assuming the answer is no?

I don't care to understand everyone's problem. I'm just saying, I only look at suicide as a way out when your quality of life has lost its quality. If someone wants to jump, so be it. I don't have to agree or disagree with it. It happens everyday, many times a day. If ultimately that is what they want to do, so be it.
    Sorry jp. After rereading your post I see that youre statement about the "morons below" was referencing the taunting morons and not morons going to hell as I presumed. My apologies.

And no this person did take her own life.

I totally get that it is the persons choice. I just try to get people to try to understand that there is something going on that we can never know what is and to try to not judge them so harshly. That is all.

nope you didn't say portion....
    FLIP FLOPPER!!!!!!!!!!
    Nice try but oh so WEAK.