Thread: Pine Creek Sept 13, 2008

Pine Creek Sept 13, 2008

After a wonderful summer of my kids joining me on weekend trips through various canyons in Zion, it was time to take them through Pine Creek. It was also time for me to take the lead.

Pine Creek was my second canyon I had done back when I started in 2005. Everything was so new, the people were knowledgeable and fascinating, the equipment was awkward and cumbersome, and my senses were overloaded. I remember being physically exhausted and mentality exhilarated. I was hooked! And yes - some of you are still viewed as gods!

It was June of this year before I was able to return to Pine Creek. It was just as I had remembered. Beautiful from start to end. Again we were traveling with a really neat group of people and had a great day. On this trip I was confident with my equipment and and was in better physical condition. I was able to participate and do things that I had not done before. I was ready for the season and ready to take the kids down this canyon.

Then Kaitlyn fell.

I had spoked to Kaitlyn three times already this summer. She is the same age as my son and working in an environment similar to my daughter. I was on the phone to the back county desk waiting for her to answer on the morning when my phone binged notifying me of Bruce's post that someone was injured in Pine Creek. I completed my transaction with a gentleman and arrived at work for a no-internet day. That evening, as the news of Kaitlyn set into my brain, I could not erase the now so important memory of my last contact with her. John kept calling her Megan - then Ram posted about Megan of Yosemite. Too much for me to handle. Do I really want to support my kids in engaging in such a dangerous sport?

Thankfully, over time, Kaitlyn is healing. The internet was a valuable tool for everyone in the healing process. Many bits of information were shared and lessons were learned with caution for safety ingrained into the community.

"The beat goes on."

We kept our plans in place and on Saturday, September 13th (my Dad's 70th birthday if he was still here) we descended Pine Creek. Our group was composed of Me, John, Julia, Michael and Maria. Just ourselves.

We were not in a hurry and planned to make a day out of the canyon. We started about 10:30am. The weather was perfect. As we were suiting up, a group of two and then a group of 6 or so headed in before us. The group of 6 did not wear wetsuits. We wore wetsuits in order to enjoy the trip. Julie always gets cold and I wanted her to have a comfortable time.

Suiting up is always the challenge. Note that the toes are still painted red!

When we got to the first repel, the group ahead of us was working their way down. We were not in a hurry and sat back and waited for them to travel on. I did find it interesting that they were running a short sling from their belay loop and then setting up their ATC off the sling with a carabiner and then repelling. I'm not sure I would want a sling between me and my belay device. What do you guys think?

Just waiting

Ok - So I'm the leader! I wanted to do all the work - and I loved every minute of this!! I tried to everything as best a possible relying on all the information that I have learned over the last couple of years. I was on a rocket high.

Ok - I need to improve on my rope control skills. But I learned that I did not have to pull out so much for this repel.

This is the part of the canyon where Michael dunked his really cool and expensive camera. The rest of the pictures are with a small water proof camera. Thus the pictures are not a nice and I had hoped. Luckily, he only got the lens wet and it can be cleaned and repaired.

Unfortunately, although the group ahead of us was really nice, they were also very noisy. They were yelling in the cathedral and it was getting very annoying, but then they sang a song:

Later we met them down canyon and they acknowledged that they were a bit load, but they explained that they are group of friends that have not been together in a long time and it was a chance for them to revisit a bit of their past.

After they moved on, we moved ahead as well.

Maria helping with the rope

My canyoneering smile!!!

It could have been a great picture - dang!

The girls did get cold and found the sun spot.

lunchtime!

We finally arrived at the infamous last repel. Not many pictures were taken as we were focused on safety. We slung the arch and set up a safety clip-in point. I went down first. Interestingly enough, I was not nervous. I was overwhelming excited that I felt so confident that I could do this and I did it!!!!! I provided a fireman's belay for the kids and John - you can't take the Mom out of me.

This time we did Pine Creek, I wanted to enjoy the hike out and we did just that. We had all afternoon with no plans to meet anyone for supper.

Julie loves the frogs.

I had fun in the water.

Maria is glad to be in the sun again.

Michael got stung on the wrist and in the face by a bee:

Fortunately, after I got stung earlier this year, we carry benadryl and he started to feel better quickly. Julie has more information about the location of the beehive. Hopefully she can post a picture of the location.

We spent time in the swimming hole and then made our way back to Springdale.

It was an awesome day with many personal accomplishments. Thank you to everyone that gave me such a great time with my kids and husband.

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent, Felicia! Way to go!

That singing was really cool.

Hoping to do Pine Creek next month...

!!!!!!

Awesome TR Felicia! Thanks so much for sharing, and what a great family you have! The singing group! What a nice touch!

PS: I really appreciate your words of kindness and great advise! Hope I can share a canyon with you this next spring

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on your successful first trip as leader. Hope there are many many more...

Great TR, and the video was way cool!

What better way to start my day than hear the star spangled banner in a canyon. Thanks for the great TR!

Re: Pine Creek Sept 13, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Do I really want to support my kids in engaging in such a dangerous sport?

I ask myself that same question often. I want to introduce my boys to the sport that I am fiercely passionate about, but at the same time if one of them were to die in a slot canyon, I would never forgive myself.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I really like those shots of that final rappel
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Excellent, Felicia! Way to go!

That singing was really cool.

Hoping to do Pine Creek next month...
    Thanks Kev!!! I know you will have a great time. Take lots of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Awesome TR Felicia! Thanks so much for sharing, and what a great family you have! Hope I can share a canyon with you this next spring
    Thanks Bo! I have had a great summer with the kids - the best ever.

We WILL do a canyon next spring - I'm going to hold you to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on your successful first trip as leader. Hope there are many many more...
    Thanks AJ! I sure hope there are more! Maybe I will get to be your group next time.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Great TR, and the video was way cool!

What better way to start my day than hear the star spangled banner in a canyon. Thanks for the great TR!
    Disco, if it had been any other song.......BTW: how is the foot doing? I thought of you as I was traveling down under the bridge.

Glad you enjoyed the report.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de
    I really like those shots of that final rappel
    Merci!

I think my daughter has more pictures on her camera. When she returns to civilization next month I may have a few more pictures to share.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Do I really want to support my kids in engaging in such a dangerous sport?

I ask myself that same question often. I want to introduce my boys to the sport that I am fiercely passionate about, but at the same time if one of them were to die in a slot canyon, I would never forgive myself.
    I work hard to remind the kids that they do not know enough...that I do not know enough...they need to learn from the experienced...they need to be safe...and it's about enjoying and spending time with friends. I can say that the time that I have spent with the kids this summer, doing something that we all have a passion for, has been the best yet!!

I can't wait till next summer!

Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Nice job! It is a different ball game when leading isn't it. I remember the first canyon I took some older teenage boys in. I was so focused and dialed in. Good times!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Nice job! It is a different ball game when leading isn't it. I remember the first canyon I took some older teenage boys in. I was so focused and dialed in. Good times!
    Thanks Scott! It really is a 'whole new world' and I can't wait to get out there again.

That looks like a fun day.

Strange, I never hear angels singing when I go canyoneering.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I think the Echo Chamber in Echo canyon would make a good place for a Gregorian Chants

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I think the Echo Chamber in Echo canyon would make a good place for a Gregorian Chants

Maybe for a minute or two, but I really like the canyons quiet. Noisy groups are...well: noisy.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

Maybe for a minute or two, but I really like the canyons quiet. Noisy groups are...well: noisy.
    No I agree, I was just saying if someone wanted ruin other people's wilderness experience in a cool way this would be it.

Well - I finally got Julie's pictures from our trip through Pine Creek.

There a couple of shots that I wanted to share:
    Attached Images Attached Images