Thread: Wahweap Hoodoos / Cottonwood Canyon - TR

Wahweap Hoodoos / Cottonwood Canyon - TR

After getting a little insider information from Tanya, we went down to the head of Wahweap Creek from SLC on Friday night. Got to a suitable camping spot at 1:30am. We started the hike at about 9:30 am on Sat. and got to the Towers of Silence at about 11:00. Very cool wash hiking with a great ending. We saw 4 other people that did the same hike as us but not until our trip back. About 8 other people (all German) came from the other / quicker way off of Cottonwood.

After some decent Mexican food in Page, we then drove Cottonwood Canyon to the end with many stops along the way. It rained on us about half the time (clay wasn't too bad) which meant that the sun was covered for most of it. There was, however, a rainbow that was present for at least an hour. This rainbow was the brightest one my wife and I had ever seen. The Cottonwood Canyon Rd. is pretty rough right now as I guess there are some politics behind grading it.

We camped at a ridge near Kodachrome State Park along with plenty of cows and coyotes. This morning we got up early and I took a few photos near the Chimney Rock. We also hiked the Panorama trail which was a decent little hike. The sun only poked out a few times but it was perfect temps. A few shots below look photoshopped (bright sky and foreground) but I was using a Singh-Ray 3-stop reverse ND filter on the camera. The effect mimics what the eye sees instead of what a camera can figure out when there are bright and dark sections of a photo.

We had a blast and have more places to visit next time.

Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beautiful photos. I wish we'd get a little of that rain over here.

Bogley BigShot
    Whoa

Photography Extraordinaire!!!!!

I am glad you put the info to such good use.

damn good shot of grosvenor. muy bueno.

Sweet shots. It's all about the light isn't it?...and being there of course.

Looks like your effort was well spent and rewarded. Thanks.
    Keep your lens clean and your mind open

We had a good time. See the video of my wife and I walking all around the hoodoos. I tried to climb the tallest one and couldn't make it. The thing kept crumbling on me.

Is there a problem with doing that?

By the way.....the video is not us.....just being a smart a$$ as usual. These two were German tourists. I am sure many American tourists trample on German and other countries' fragile areas/ruins but it still sucks.