Thread: Big Spring Canyon Next to High Spur

Big Spring Canyon Next to High Spur

I might be going to High Spur this weekend and was wondering about Big Spring Canyon two miles away. MK's book says it is 'fairly tight' in places. Is it ever a problem for large frame canyoneers? Is there another beta out there. Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

GPS Points

Hey all, I ended up going to Big Spring and High Spur Saturday. Anyway, here are the GPS points for West Fork of Big Springs. Sorry I forgot to get the points for East Fork, but with the GPS points and a map and compass and MK's new book, you'll have no trouble finding it. If you like North Wash Canyons, you'll love these canyons. Check out TR.

Trailhead/Parking: 38 24' 05"
    Head of Slot: 38 24' 25"
    Exit/Cross Country to East Fork: 38 24' 35"

Thanks for the TR- how was Big Springs? Any difficulties for the 'large framed canyoneers'? i definitely fit in that category. havent done much in the north wash area but did enjoy the left fork of blarney and right fork of shillelagh.
    High Spur is on my list, but having another destination out there could definitely help justify the drive...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Re: GPS Points

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    Check out TR.
    thanks for the info. did i miss the TR or is that coming soon .... photos too? would love to see them.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: GPS Points

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    Hey all, I ended up going to Big Spring and High Spur Saturday. Anyway, here are the GPS points for West Fork of Big Springs. Sorry I forgot to get the points for East Fork, but with the GPS points and a map and compass and MK's new book, you'll have no trouble finding it. If you like North Wash Canyons, you'll love these canyons. Check out TR.

Trailhead/Parking: 38 24' 05"
    Head of Slot: 38 24' 25"
    Exit/Cross Country to East Fork: 38 24' 35"
    I know, I know. Call me a GPS Wonk, but ...

Coordinates usually come with a lat and a long. You've only given us the lat. Got longs?

T

oops. totally spaced that one. I'll post the longitude as soon as I get home tonight. As for large frame canyoneers, I fit that category as well. It does get tight in places, but the very bottom of the canyon is NOT the narrowest point. In other words, any canyoneer can fit through by crawling past the narrow points (which I had to do).

hmmm... carwling through the bottom of stuff makes me kinda nervous- at least if it is long crawls...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Here are the FULL coords:

Trailhead/Parking: 38 24' 05" 110 08' 16"
    Head of Slot: 38 24' 25" 110 07' 58"
    Exit/Cross Country to East Fork: 38 24' 35" 110 08' 00"

The canyon is easily completed by large frame canyoneers.