Thread: Save the Great Salt Lake - STOP DRINKING WATER!!!

Save the Great Salt Lake - STOP DRINKING WATER!!!

I just saw something interesting in this article, thought I'd share.

(emphasis added)

New worries surround the Great Salt Lake
    September 19th, 2008 @ 5:51pm
    By John Hollenhorst
    The Great Salt Lake continues to shrink. Today its official measurement dipped slightly to an elevation of exactly 4,194 feet. The last time it was lower was way back in the 1960s.

The lake was at precisely this same level four years ago; then and today, the lowest since record lows in the
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ah man, this is one of my peeves. And the stupidity that surrounds it?

Two things are for sure.

1. We live in one of the driest states in the country and the Wasatch Front is in the high DESERT.

2. We Utahans are extremely water wasteful.

To say that all the development is/will having minimal impact on this? I find that very hard to swallow. The more we use means the less that makes it to the lake. Its very simple. And its not the DRINKING as THEY put it. It's the insistence on having all of our yards and parks covered in Kentucky Bluegrass and the over watering of everything in our landscapes. We just got to have those green yards. God forbid if we try to be different and do some zeroscaping. If you do the city might just come and ticket your nonconforming ass. Remember the people is Salt Lake a year or two ago that zeroscaped the city owned park strip in front of their house? They got fined. Oh the mentality! And how often do you see sprinklers a going during a rain storm? In fact, I can see my neighbors sprinklers going right now. It rained pretty good here last night too.

Oh well. This is just one more thing we can play the ostrich with.

Where's that video of hippies sitting on the growing beach of Salt Lake, crying and screaming for the shrinking of their lake?

Oh wait, you're only sane if it's over a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    God forbid if we try to be different and do some zeroscaping.

while i like the idea of "zeroscape" as a pun, the term is xeriscape coming from the word xeric which refers to a dry environment.

just doing the job of the spelling nazi who has been strangely absent this year

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    God forbid if we try to be different and do some zeroscaping.

while i like the idea of "zeroscape" as a pun, the term is xeriscape coming from the word xeric which refers to a dry environment.

just doing the job of the spelling nazi who has been strangely absent this year
    Ahhh yes masta, thank you for the correction. May I try to grasp the pebble from your hand again now? :D

Maybe someone should do a spoof of the hippy clip.

Of course, a line from Planet of the Apes would be good

"Damn them all to Hell"
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

When I was a kid, millions of dollars was spent pumping water out of the Great Salt Lake because the lake was too big. A trip down memory lane:

http://www.water.utah.gov/construction/gsl/gslpage.htm

I still agree that Utah (and other states) does waste a lot of water though, but it's still ironic that a few decades ago everyone was worried that the lake was becoming too big.

I agree you folks should use less water to irrigate lawns and other "worthless' activities (eg, water parks, fountains, washing vehicles, etc, etc). But the act of drinking water shouldn't hurt, as it all goes back into the environment. But, wait a minute. Won't all that "wasted" water go back into the environment?

I know stefan will tell us why the water usage is bad. Some is lost to evaporation. But doesn't that come back as rain (somewhere)? Who knows if all the water "wasted" along the Front would have made it to the Great Salt Lake anyway? If some animal caused the lake level to fall, would you blame the animal, or chalk it up to "nature"? Isn't man part of nature? (I know I'm inviting a lecture on man's wasteful character versus the no-waste character of animals.)

My point, for those who don't get it, is that none of us is capable or authorized to decide what is "natural" or "right", and I personally resent all the self-designated "experts" telling us what is right or wrong.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Damm George Bush--now he's dropping our lake levels.

Ahhh yes masta, thank you for the correction. May I try to grasp the pebble from your hand again now? :D
    only if you toss it into the stream