Thread: Wow, I'm not sure I agree with this decision

Wow, I'm not sure I agree with this decision

I'd say give this hero his damn medal!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...18peralta.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't think the Navy Cross is anything to scoff at. I absolutely hate it when people bring race in as an assumed factor in why they think that they didn't get what they deserved. Here's a shitload of Hispanic MOH recipients:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/e-books/...nic/index.html

Believe me, I absolutely believe that this guy deserves some recognition for his heroic actions and I can understand why his family and friends want nothing but the highest recognition possible.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Yea, when I read that race card it totally turned me off.

Yeah, playing the race card is definitely way out of line and I don't agree with the family trying to use it. I don't think that has anything to do with the decision.

The Navy Cross is most defiantly a huge honor. But to use as the reasoning that he had already been shot so he couldn't have done this consciously? Wow, I just don't know. I think that I would be taking the word of those who were there with him at the time. I question why some have been honored with this medal for the exact same action. The only difference here seems to be that he had already been shot? Something just doesn't seem to add up. But by not knowing all of the "requirements" and knowing the whole story it is hard to know which way to go here. For me anyways.

Maybe there is more to this story? We don't always get the whole story from the media.

Anyway, I salute this warrior!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    Maybe there is more to this story? We don't always get the whole story from the media.
    The media only wants to give you what they want you to see. If they can spark some type of uproar, then they will.

My hat is off to this fallen serviceman. It seems the military has already ruled on this matter. I hope it is not changed due to family influence or that of the media's. If in fact it is reviewed and his actions warrant the highest honor, I hope it is not clouded by a controversial media view and a scorned family. It does no service to the highest honor to be clouded in suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    Yeah, playing the race card is definitely way out of line and I don't agree with the family trying to use it. I don't think that has anything to do with the decision.

The Navy Cross is most defiantly a huge honor. But to use as the reasoning that he had already been shot so he couldn't have done this consciously? Wow, I just don't know. I think that I would be taking the word of those who were there with him at the time. I question why some have been honored with this medal for the exact same action. The only difference here seems to be that he had already been shot? Something just doesn't seem to add up. But by not knowing all of the "requirements" and knowing the whole story it is hard to know which way to go here. For me anyways.

Anyway, I salute this warrior!
    Agreed.
    The other thing that bugged me was they brought in medical experts to discern which medal was justified? give me a break. Have some respect and give him top honors. Would it have been the worst thing in the world to give him the MOH?

Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    Would it have been the worst thing in the world to give him the MOH?
    This medal is not handed out like candy on Halloween. Since it is the highest honor, the actions of the serviceman will be and should be scrutinized.

The article states that others have been awarded the MOH for covering grenades with his body. +1 vote for giving him the MOH.
    The man thong is wrong.

I'm so glad that the military makes these decisions and the layperson does not

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    The article states that others have been awarded the MOH for covering grenades with his body. +1 vote for giving him the MOH.
    It sounds like they are using the excuse that because he was already shot he couldn't have had the mental capacity to know what he was doing.

WTF?

I'd like to hear a more detailed response from those who made the decision.