Thread: TR: Tintic High Point area

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

TR: Tintic High Point area

I decided to wrap-up the weekend by finishing my exploration of the Tintic mountains just North of Eureka. The weather maintained a steady 82F, the sun was shining and things couldn't be better.

About 3/4 of the way into the trip, I smelled burning oil and my BELT light came on. Seems all the rocks had loosened the oil filter and possibly jarred the belt on my Kawasaki. I fixed and continued rolling on.

I started the trip on the South/West staging area of 5 Mile Pass OHV and took the dirt road to 12 Mile pass before cutting East toward the Tintic Mountains.

From there, I explored virtually every canyon before making it to the high point (as indicated by a USGS Survey marker at the top).

A few photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Tintic high point is the first geocache I ever found, I wasn't looking and had never even heard of caching but there it was. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    The Tintic high point is the first geocache I ever found, I wasn't looking and had never even heard of caching but there it was. Thanks for the report and pictures.
    That was a nice location. Had it not been for the geocache up top, I probably wouldn't have found that canyon and all the excellent trails. That entire area is awesome. Considering it's in the middle of the desert, once you gain elevation, it reminds me of Fishlake.

Cool. Some great exploring out that way. I have been all over those parts. Not a place that you want to breakdown though. We have started carrying spares of just about everything. Which is more difficult on a bike.

It looks like you had a good time, I really need to get out and ride more.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Cool. Some great exploring out that way. I have been all over those parts. Not a place that you want to breakdown though. We have started carrying spares of just about everything. Which is more difficult on a bike.
    Agreed. I've ridden that area solo up to this point. Yesterday, when the oil filter came loose and the BELT light came on, my only thought was: "Crap, I may need to hike out of this location and my car is over 15 miles away".

Even though I carry my SPOT with me, I doubt my wife would know what to do if I hit the HELP ME button.

I'm ordering an extra CVT Belt today and bulk up my tool kit; otherwise I had plenty of gear (food, water, gun/ammo) to survive a few days out there.