Thread: misery conditions

misery conditions

heard mt carmel jct had some heavy rain mid week or so. hope water is all fresh and full ! wondering if i need a wetsuit. i am prettuy tolerant of low water temps. is the water in here always cold or would i be safe w/out a wetsuit tomorrow ?
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can only talk to when I went through Misery with a group about this same time last year. The canyon is fast draining, but the areas that hold water see very little sunlight, so the water will likely be cold. The gents wore 3/2 shorties and the gals wore thinner full wetsuits, and all of us were comfortable.

I'm warm-blooded and I think I could have done it without a wetsuit, but looking back, I'm glad I had it.

Remember to fill up your water bottles (using a water filter) before you start the trek back - you'll be glad you did!

Have fun!
    "The ACA is a non-profit organization..."
    - Rich Carlson, the ACA's founder/president/director/self-appointed king

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    - Mark Twain

If temps are hot most people should be fine even if it's full, most water is followed by sun and only the early pools are cold. We did it once with highs near 90 and were begging for swims! Once you get to the spring fed pools in the lower narrows the water is nearly swimming pool warm. If it's cool out then wetsuits are a good idea. Don't miss the swimming holes in Parunuweap, easily as fun to play in as the canyon.

thanks guys. we opted for a shorter day and did echo instead. but good to have the input for future reference. echo was cold and very low and very short. better than styaing home all day though.
    signature