Thread: Not Mindbender Retreat???

Not Mindbender Retreat???

Is it possible to leave ropes and go to the final rappel in not mindbender(not down) and retreat. How hard is the climb up the moki steps to get out from the bottom?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Two places off the top of my head where you would have to leave ropes. One at the final, which would be a bitch in and of itself to jug back up due to its freehanging nature and lip at the top. The other one I can think of is a 30 footer mid canyon. The Moki steps are'nt that hard. A rope spot takes all the nerve factor out of it.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Not Mindbender Retreat???

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    Is it possible to leave ropes and go to the final rappel in not mindbender(not down) and retreat. How hard is the climb up the moki steps to get out from the bottom?
    Yeah, two rappels, but also some slot climbing down, which becomes harder going up. Hard to say where the first point you could easily climb out and up toward the rim.

Moki steps aren't bad. I usually lead it without a pack, then belay everyone else up with their packs on. It is rather high, however, though the holds are big (but it is kind of balancy). I'd be concerned if it is wet (because holds break, when wet).

Tom

final rappel

I heard a rumor the final rappel was bolted? Is this true? Anyone been there recently to know how the chokestones are? Thanks in advance.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: final rappel

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook
    I heard a rumor the final rappel was bolted? Is this true? Anyone been there recently to know how the chokestones are? Thanks in advance.
    Bolts are likely to be found at the final rap of Mind Bender, rather than Not Mindbender, at least for a few more weeks. Both canyons have good geometry right at the final rap for constructing a deadman anchor and plenty of good rocks available, at least at the bottom of the rappel if not closer. Given the heavy rains today, I would plan on building an anchor at the end, and it is likely to be messy. you might want to bring some Quart Yogurt containers or something similar for bailing out the pothole, rubber kitchen gloves, and some 1" tubular webbing to leave on the deadman. When you get close to the end, your group might want to spread out, as you might want to "farm" rocks from further upcanyon - easier if people have not already done the second-to-last downclimb/rappel.

It is likely to be messy down there, and sometimes there is a swim or two after rain, like now.

Tom