Thread: Boltergeist & Water Canyon (Full Right Fork)

Boltergeist & Water Canyon (Full Right Fork)

-Boltergeist-

Took a run through Boltergeist as part of a group of eight on Saturday. While not of Zion quality, like nearby Yankee Doodle the canyon has more charm and character than one might expect from Silver Reef. With a handful of rappels, only one or two of which seem mandatory, the final rappel (100' or so) can be done directly down the watercourse (nice) or from a tree on the left (LDC).

Once through the technical canyon, one hangs a left at a confluence and proceeds up a lush, vegetation-choked drainage with a delightful stream gurgling through it. After a couple hundred yards, you pass by a beautiful waterfall then gain a steep, loose slope that leads one back toward the car.

Bidding John, Aaron and Ryan farewell (thanks to John for putting this together in the first place), the rest of us then took another romp through Yankee Doodle before spending way too much money on dinner at nearby Cosmopolitan (good food, but pricey).

-Water Canyon (Full Right Fork)-

Despite the assurance from a few knowledge folks that a release of 15cfs from Kolob Reservoir would be okay for a descent of Boundary Canyon, we took one look at the point where Kolob Creek crosses Kolob Terrace Road and decided to wait for another day. It looked pretty wild, and none of had been through the drainage before to know how it would translate for us down-canyon.

Instead, we headed on over to creepy Hildale for a go at Water Canyon. We had no beta but I'd recalled reading a trip report from Bo and Tanya which made the canyon sound like fun. Let's go!

Hiking up lower Water Canyon, we soon left the drainage and gained the steep, meandering trail that led to the rim above. Along the way, we noted two prominent forks in the upper canyon. Unsure of which was the "standard" route, we continued up to the head of the right fork and dropped in.

Immediately encountering thick, thick vegetation and no signs of feet, we continued down a bit discouraged. The drop was gradual and unpleasant and we began to question our choice of canyons for the day. But then...

The canyon narrowed, and a slot formed. There was a short rappel (or sketchy downclimb) to drop in. Then another. Then another...with a narrower slot forming in the distance. And a logjam perhaps blocking the way.

The slot was tight. North Wash tight, perhaps 18" at one point. Mike, my 240-pound buddy, just barely squeezed through after removing his harness. We crawled under the logjam near the end and popped out into a widening canyon.

After setting up a sketchy rappel off a 1" diameter root a bit further on, we encountered another narrow slot (24") that soon led to an abyss. One could either seek out a suitable anchor (none obvious, at a glance) and rappel straight down and then swim out to daylight under a huge arch, or do a nasty, narrow downclimbing traverse on down-sloping ledges over heinous exposure. Yahoo!

Below the funky traverse, we soon encountered the confluence of the two main forks, and finally, footprints. The rest of the canyon was dispatched with joy and fine style. Good times!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We had a great time Courtney. It was great meeting you, Mike, Andy, Dion. We need to do it again. I would be up for Boundry in two weeks if I can get some one to drive down with me.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I had wondered if the other forks of Water Canyon could be decened.

Bogley BigShot
    I met one of the guys that did this with you tonight - nice man! Sounds like it turned out to be a fun trip, even with the high water issue.

i did water canyon 3 weeks ago and what you are describing dosn't sound like the same canyon i did. there was no bush wacking and the trail was very easy to follow. we saw 3 outfit companies guding people down but some of them droped in the canyon at different points along the trail. only 2 raps didn't have anchors but all in all the canyon was very easy, we had to ditch the last two drops becuase of a nasty storm moving in. anyone have any topo of the other drainages in that area. One thing about the canyon is that it sure is pretty up there .
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    One thing about the canyon is that it sure is pretty up there .
    The arrow marks the normal full route drainage for the canyon. Next to the arrow other drainages can be clearly seen.

My pics from earlier this year (jan) show some other drainages. I tired scouting up the drainages this past June but stopped once the Bush wacking started.

Other Drainages pics

The confluence, sory for the grany quality it was late evening & bad lighting
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    One thing about the canyon is that it sure is pretty up there .
    The arrow marks the normal full route drainage for the canyon. Next to the arrow other drainages can be clearly seen.

My pics from earlier this year (jan) show some other drainages. I tired scouting up the drainages this past June but stopped once the Bush wacking started.

Other Drainages pics

The confluence, sory for the grany quality it was late evening & bad lighting
    We dropped in at the head of the drainage just right of center in the top image. Were it not for the initial bushwhacking, it would definitely be worth doing. Probably worth it anyway. The two slots are rather narrow and the few rappels are semi-interesting.

Bogley BigShot
    i did water canyon 3 weeks ago and what you are describing dosn't sound like the same canyon i did. there was no bush wacking and the trail was very easy to follow. we saw 3 outfit companies guding people down but some of them droped in the canyon at different points along the trail. only 2 raps didn't have anchors but all in all the canyon was very easy, we had to ditch the last two drops becuase of a nasty storm moving in. anyone have any topo of the other drainages in that area. One thing about the canyon is that it sure is pretty up there .
    You would have to know Courtney. He would just keep going to find the highest point he could then drop in from there. It would be scary if Courtney and Kip the bushwhacker ever get together! No stone would be left unturned!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    You would have to know Courtney. He would just keep going to find the highest point he could then drop in from there. It would be scary if Courtney and Kip the bushwhacker ever get together! No stone would be left unturned!
    That's what I hear. Kip and I have tried to get together a couple/few times, but it hasn't work out. All in good time, I suppose.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by cp0915
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    You two are made for each other. Two of the best looking Zion guys... hardcore... a bit crazy and head for anywhere! Make sure you do get together! You are both awesome to do canyons/hikes/peaks with!
    That's what I hear. Kip and I have tried to get together a couple/few times, but it hasn't work out. All in good time, I suppose.

I look forward to the day.

(You're so sweet, Tanya. You made me blush.)

if you guys ever want to get together for a canyon just let me know i will drive up from vegas. or if you are interested in doing The Maze next year you could head down here.

if you guys ever want to get together for a canyon just let me know i will drive up from vegas. or if you are interested in doing The Maze next year you could head down here.
    And speaking of The Maze, I took another run through on Saturday. Water levels were somewhat low. I couldn't help but notice that a recent party had done a sorry job of "beefing up" some of the natural anchors.

yeah well that happens, that is the only thing that i get worried about is how long all the webbing is for each rap. But that is cool that you went down this late in the season. I wont be heading up there until next year probably late summer so the water is worm.