Thread: Meal Replacement Bar Questions

Meal Replacement Bar Questions

My sister emailed me the following questions....I don't really have much experience with meal replacement bars so I thought I'd toss the questions on here.

"I'm curious what you know about meal replacement bars. From what you've had what do you think tastes the best? Do you know how they rank as far as energy value prior to a long workout? Have you found a way to get them for a good price? I'm trying to figure out what to eat during the 30 hour+ relay I'm participating in."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Meal Replacement Bar Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    My sister emailed me the following questions....I don't really have much experience with meal replacement bars so I thought I'd toss the questions on here.

"I'm curious what you know about meal replacement bars. From what you've had what do you think tastes the best? Do you know how they rank as far as energy value prior to a long workout? Have you found a way to get them for a good price? I'm trying to figure out what to eat during the 30 hour+ relay I'm participating in."
    Bar none, the tastiest is ProBar. Unfortunately also the priciest. Sometimes on sale at REI - and I think you get a 10% discount there if you buy 8 or 10 or summat like that.

Thanks Hank!

Anyone else have any input

I'm also a Probar fan. The last dozen bars cost $32.28 plus shipping from N101.com.

You might be able to do better at REI if you could get a discount off of the $3.30 per bar cost and not have to pay shipping. Of course, if you'd have to drive 30 miles to an REI store, might be better to go the online route.

I like an occasional Powerbar or Clif Bar for variety's sake. Can always get those at the local WalMart.

meal replacement bar? sounds like an oxymoron.

i'll tell you a little story.

once upon a time i was a fishing guide in alaska. my client and i were camped on a world famous creek (moraine creek) fishing for trophy rainbows). that night just befrore it got to dark to see and time to crawl into the tent, we saw 7 bears prowling the banks. you could see their eyes glowing by headlamp too. well after a sleepless night next to a loaded shotgun we got out of the tent to find that our cooler had been raided by the bears. they ate almost everything. packs of instant oatmeal, bit into cans of green beans, and everythhing else, except (and heres where the story gets good) the 3 power bars. i figure if a grizzly won't eat it , it's not food.

my favorite meal replacement bar, snickers. its the original energy bar.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide

our cooler had been raided by the bears. they ate almost everything. packs of instant oatmeal, bit into cans of green beans, and everythhing else, except (and heres where the story gets good) the 3 power bars. i figure if a grizzly won't eat it , it's not food.

I'm with you Denaliguide! Mmmmm snickers!
    Next pick would be a payday! Even the so called "good" power bars taste bad to me and I have a hard time choking em down.
    Is that really a true story!? That's hilarious!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide

our cooler had been raided by the bears. they ate almost everything. packs of instant oatmeal, bit into cans of green beans, and everythhing else, except (and heres where the story gets good) the 3 power bars. i figure if a grizzly won't eat it , it's not food.

I'm with you Denaliguide! Mmmmm snickers!
    Next pick would be a payday! Even the so called "good" power bars taste bad to me and I have a hard time choking em down.
    Is that really a true story!? That's hilarious!
    absolutely true. every word.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Check out HammerNutrition.com. Their bars & gels are excellent and they have a drink mix called Perpetuem that works for multi-hour events. Also there is some of the best sports nutrition advice/information available on their site. No I don't work for them but I have tried many products over the past 25 years and they are the best. It's a small company in Whitefish Montana- good people.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

Check out HammerNutrition.com. Their bars & gels are excellent and they have a drink mix called Perpetuem that works for multi-hour events. Also there is some of the best sports nutrition advice/information available on their site. No I don't work for them but I have tried many products over the past 25 years and they are the best. It's a small company in Whitefish Montana- good people.
    I'm not in Utah, but I like Utah, really..

Quote Originally Posted by Teleken
    Thanks I'll forward on the information.