Thread: Hiking Tripod Suggestions?

Hiking Tripod Suggestions?

Ok. Now that I finally have my camera and have entered the world of better cameras, I'm not sure if I should pick up a hiking tripod or not? I have a tripod that compacts to be pretty small, but I wasn't sure if there were a tripod that you guys would recommend for hiking.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You can pay a lot for a carbon fiber tri-pod, or just get a solid, inexpensive tri-pod that isn't too heavy but will support the heaviest lens/body combination you expect to have. You also need to decide whether you want a ball head or a pan & tilt. Quick release is a good feature to have.

B & H has a real variety of tri-pods.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

No Tripod

If I carry a tripod at all, it's small enough to fit in the pocket of my vest, which is a Domke photo vest. Even then, I seldom use it except for video. I find that tripods don't fit my style very well - which is very journalistic (obviously, since I am a professional photojournalist.) I'd rather deal with high-ISO noise later than deal with a tripod on the trail.

The vest-pocket tripod I have currently actually came from Radio Shack of all places.

Both of these posts were very helpful. Thanks fellas!

what about gorilla pods? i am looking at those and looking and joining the 'world of better cameras'
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Gorilla pods work okay. If you get one get the larger version.
    I use for hanging the video cam in trees and the lower branches tend to be larger, needing a bigger Gorilla.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Disc, have you thought of a monopod?

I've thought about it, but I really like getting pictures of people and I like the idea of being able to get pictures of my wife and I together (as we usually are out hiking alone).

Congratulations on the new camera, I think you'll really enjoy it. If you haven't been you should go here:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

That's a Forum for Canon owners. Stan and I both post there. Go to accessories and search "hiking tripod". more info than you'll ever need.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

I purchased a Gorilla tripod this spring, and have only used it once. If I am taking pix of myself, it has been done with the camera at arm's legnth.

I usually forget that I am packing the tripod around anyway.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey