Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Don't Like Ike

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Ike has its eye on Texas.
    Yep, looks like Galveston is gonna get it. They have a wall built around much of the island after the big one in 190x. That one killed 1500 or so people, because they came out too early, so the story goes. Anyway, I hope the wall helps.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The hurricane in 1900 that did all that damage which caused them to erect the 17' seawall might not be enough to keep Ike out. That seems to be what the experts are saying.

My family is hunkering down in H-town and I have several friends that live down on the gulf. This one is a doozey of a storm.........talked to my parents tonight and of course, everyone is stocking up on supplies to ride this one out. My brother and his family are driving to the Northside to stay with my parents since they aren't in such a crazy flood zone. However my mom is all mad now b/c they didn't have the trees trimmed this season, so they are worried about branches falling on the house, etc...... I've sat many a nights through some nasty hurricanes as a child, hiding in the pantry for hours from tornadoes in the neighborhood. Very scary and I worry for my family right now. I wish I had a magic carpet to whisk them up my way to be safe in the mountains while all the nastiness passes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/ap_on_re_us/ike

The hurricane in 1900 that did all that damage which caused them to erect the 17' seawall might not be enough to keep Ike out. That seems to be what the experts are saying.

That dang seawall is soooooooo old. Those are my stomping grounds JP. I miss that nasty ass gulf water like you wouldn't believe. HAHA!!!

I love fishing in that Gulf water

This storm is very large and will affect a lot of people. This has helped keep it from gaining as much strength as earlier expected. Right now, they forecast 115 MPH winds at landfall. That's powerful, but much less than other recent storms. Charley hit my former town with 175 MPH, did a lot of damage even though it was a small storm. Andrew was the same, small but intense.
    Stan

I love fishing in that Gulf water

And I love those gulf shrimp!!! :) We used to go surf fishing down at Surfside and crabbin'. I miss that. From what my mom just said, Surfside is under water right now. It's getting nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    I miss that nasty ass gulf water like you wouldn't believe. HAHA!!!
    Nasty ass gulf water is right! You can have it Allison.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    From what my mom just said, Surfside is under water right now. It's getting nasty.
    Hopefully she weathers is just fine, Stan as well. Everybody down there has to be seeing a lot of rain.

Well Texas is living up to the saying "Everything is bigger in Texas". But what happened to "Don't mess with Texas". My mom is visiting friends in Austin so she should be fine. I used to live in Austin when I was a kid. Howdy Ya'll
    The man thong is wrong.

Yes it's more about the stupid tornadoes and high winds that it brings. My parents are always ready for hurricanes so they should be ok. That's what the walk-in pantry in the kitchen is for, to hide out. Many a nights I remember hiding out for hours. This one looks like a big storm but not HUGE winds compared to others.

We had some mild effects from Ike for several days. Mostly cloudy, just a little rain. Tides were high, we had the bayou come onto our grounds just a little. Some eerie looking clouds last night, but all is sunny today. We dodged another bullet.
    Stan

This one has the feeling of one of those underestimated storms. It's huge and the storm surge they're predicting is scary. Plus those 22 poor sailors on a stranded boat. Sucks.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I have a friend. She lives with her husband and son on Crystal beach which is now 'gone'. I am so sickened and so sad today. Her house is most likely non-existent as they do not know yet the extent. Go to the link below for the footage.

http://www.khou.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=282706

Ike is way bigger than I ever imagined.

It's official. Editing this post b/c I just got an email from my friend. The red arrow is where their house USED to be. I'm so sick to my stomach.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, that storm was devastating I wasn't able to follow it because I was in Pennsylvania and no TV.

The devastation in Galveston is unbelievable. Flooding did a lot, but from the debris and other evidence, it appears wind damage was tremendous. Hard to understand how 100-110 MPH winds could have done so much. I wonder if the codes there were inadequate. Whatever, the people there appear to have lost everything, and will need a lot of help. I also notice the absence of whining, looting, complaining, blaming, etc that came out of New Orleans after Katrina.
    Stan

From Ike.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Stan

Geez it's completely wiped out.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Maybe the tides were just right to help that surge out?

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum