Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for home made salsa

Time for home made salsa

It's almost time for sunflower seeds, grape juice, and raisins also.

@10 full sized Roma Tomatoes
    1 hot pepper, either jalapeno or chile pepper
    @ 1/2 a purple onion
    @ 10 Cilantro tops
    @ 3 cloves of garlic
    @ Tablespoon of salt

I like mine blended almost to a paste, like Chili's Restaurant style.

Usually I'm eating the Santitas White Corn chips, but these lime Tostitos are great too.

I'm guessing that's 1/2 of a gallon of salsa there.

I've got 12 tomato plants, 4 Jalapeno plants, and 4 Chile Pepper plants. We've already bottled about 10 jars already, using a different recipe, but this is my favorite.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You didn't need the salt

Looks good other than that

Our neighbor made us some homemade salsa last week and it was great. I can't imagine how much better it might be with all your home grown ingredients.

Looks good!

You know, last year we grew all of our own stuff; Cilantro, onions, garlic.... Sure you get that satisfaction, but man, it just ain't worth it to grow certain crops.

Like this year and Broccoli. Sure it was good, but of the whole row we planted, there were probably only 10 stalks that we ate. It was just space that could have produced more food from different plants.

Post your sunflowers I love raw sunflower seeds.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Dude. That's exactly what I have my greenhouse for! I LOVE homemade salsa, and our super chiles and tabascos are exceptionally hot this year!
    ...I grow several varieties of peppers, onions, tomatoes, garlic, etc.

Oh man, I can't handle the hot stuff. I'm a total pansy when it comes to hot salsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    Oh man, I can't handle the hot stuff. I'm a total pansy when it comes to hot salsa.
    I had one of the snoopy neighbor kids take a big bite out of a super chili yesterday...MAN, I shoulda had a camera for that one!

Thats great. My mom just made 151 pints of salsa. Can't wait to get started on them.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Oh man that is awesome! Way to go on the super veggie action. I'm starting a hydoponics setup myself with some lettuce and cucumbers. I'll have to post some pics also when it gets going.

/Hijack

That reminds me.... My first year grapes are coming in super tiny. I'm not sure if it's the heat here in STG or not enough water or fertilizer or not established enough roots. Anyone of you super veggie doods knows about grapes? They taste good at least.

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Anyone of you super veggie doods knows about grapes? They taste good at least.
    What kind are they? Usually, grapes will not produce on a stalk unless it's at least 1 year old, most likely a browned vine.

I haven't had to water mine too much, but when I do, I use Miracle Gro

These will turn light purple when they're ready to eat. They're already sweet, but we'll be juicing them and making raisins. They are the Suffolk grape, seedless.

Great for shade too, if you plant them on a trellis.

...we gave up on grapes...too harsh up here, but we come to the big valley each year to pic grapes - concords mostly - foe homemade jam. YUM

mmmmm SALSA and Guacamoli!!!
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    You guys are making me jealous!! All of that looks so good.

I love the pic of greyhairs wife hiding her nose!! I have the same garlic press, nothing beats fresh garlic and pampered chef rocks!

Beech you grapes are beautiful!!

Put fresh squeezed lime juice in homemade salsa! It gives added flavor.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

What kind are they? Usually, grapes will not produce on a stalk unless it's at least 1 year old, most likely a browned vine.

I haven't had to water mine too much, but when I do, I use Miracle Gro

These will turn light purple when they're ready to eat. They're already sweet, but we'll be juicing them and making raisins. They are the Suffolk grape, seedless.

Great for shade too, if you plant them on a trellis.
    Ya I don't know what kind they are, they just came with the house. I think the landscaper just tossed them in since the area we live in is called "the vineyards". LOL. I know this is their first year though and they were planted a couple months before we bought the house. I guess i should be happy I got ANY grapes then.

Thanks for the advice, I will let them chill another year then give them the boot if they don't "perform". I love that trellasse(sp?) you built though, that's awesome man. I might be hitting you up for tips this winter on building something similar. They can provide some shade for my veggies next year. Woohoo!

Shit, now I need some salsa and chips.

Thanks for the advice, I will let them chill another year then give them the boot if they don't "perform". I love that trellasse(sp?) you built though, that's awesome man.
    What color are they? Do they have seeds? I'd actually give them 2 more years. I specifically went after the seedless ones, and a type that are good right off of the vine. Some are only good in juice or raisins.

Technically, it's a Pergola that I built.

They're green and seedless yeah. They seem to be almost lime green and then when they ripened up they turned almost golden/green. Yield was even pretty decent for how small the plants are too. Only complaint really is they are soo tiny. About the size of peas maybe? I'll try and remember to take a pic when I get home this weekend.

Pergola eh? Google time!

About the size of peas maybe?
    Could be the age of the vine. Are there a TON of grapes in the bunch, or maybe about 30? If there are a lot, they could be just the juicing kind, I don't think they're concord.