Thread: GPS Recommendations? (For Biking)

GPS Recommendations? (For Biking)

Ok, so I've had just a basic Cateye bike computer for quite a while now with no complaints. It does what I need it to do.

After riding this last weekend with Dave (theking648) I am now looking into a GPS system that I can mount on my bike to use on new trails etc to make sure I know where I'm going.

So what are your recommendations, and what are the key features that you think I should be sure to get with whatever I buy.

I'm just starting to look into them so I know very little about them in general.

I'm not looking to blow a ton of money on it and was hoping to find something that will work for under $100, but I may be way off base there. Maybe that's way too low for a decent GPS?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Way out of that price range but I love my Garmin Edge. Made just for biking. Cadence, heart rate monitor, great horizontal gps and very good vertical with the gps + barometer.

For a basic GPS the Garmin Etrex is a good one. Garmin makes a great GPS unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    I love my Garmin Edge. Made just for biking.
    I have the same model as the previous poster (Garmin Edge 305) that comes with heart rate and cadence monitors. But......you can get the Garmind Edge 205 that doesn't have those options. Typical price on ebay is around $150 if memory serves. That would be my suggestion.

Agreed. I have an Edge 305 as well. I have been very happy with it.

Like Neil said the Edge 205 is very similar without the heart rate and cadence. The only other difference is that the altimeter on it is strictly GPS based with no barometric assistance. This makes it a bit less accurate in the elevation department, but should still be plenty good for basic navigation and mapping. Either way, have fun and don't get lost.

I'd go with the Edge. You can download track files for most Utah rides at www.utahmountainbiking.com or www.motionbased.com.
    Are we there yet?

I have an etrex Venture HC - (make sure the etrex has the High Sensitivity Reciever - HC, or you it will be a waste of money - the old ones are not that good.) with the handlebar mount. I got the GPS unit from Newegg for $100 and the handlebar mount for $16 from REI. It has a color screen, and can be loaded with Topo maps. I got my topo maps from my bit torrent friends - but it can be purchased for an extra fee. I like the Etrex because they are a general use GPS and can be used for a lot more activities. The edge is good as well, but is more biking specific, and can be a little trickier with the navigation.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Thanks for the info everyone.

From what I've seen...the downside of the edge would be the non-color screen.

But on the Venture HC I haven't found any reviews that mention it measuring speed etc...things I'd like to have for biking. Is that the case?

From what I understand of GPS units (which isn't much, I admit), they will all tell you how fast you are moving and all of that.

The thing that I like about the edge is that it also tracks your average and top speed and all of that other useful information that you may want to know. the others may do that too, but I don't know for sure.

The latest Garmin Edge has a color screen but they are pricey:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10885
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve

Yeah, the Edge 705 isn't on my shopping list unless I want a divorce to go with it.

The venture has a trip computer on it that measures speed, distance, elevation, total travel time and total distanced traveled. When navigating it will tell you specific speed as well - I have it on my bike as a total replacement for a computer.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Thanks for all the info guys. In the end I decided I badly wanted the Garmin Edge 705...but that was obviously out of my price range.

So the ipod sold for $325 and I found an Edge 705 brand new from a reputable seller on ebay for $425. Keeping the total spent in my $100 price range.

Can't wait to get it this coming week.

I think that you are going to like it. Congrats. New toys and new gadgets are always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Child
    I think that you are going to like it. Congrats. New toys and new gadgets are always fun.
    Yeah, it's the waiting for delivery that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve

Yeah, the Edge 705 isn't on my shopping list unless I want a divorce to go with it.
    Sometimes that isn't such a bad thing. Is it?

I've got the Garmin 60cs. It tracks all sorts of crap. When I get done with a dirt bike ride, I can look to see total mileage, average speed, top speed, how much time was stopped vs. moving. Overall elevation gained/lost, blah, blah. Also the thing is indestructible with a color screen and great reception. And i hear the new 60csx gets even better reception which I can't believe. The topo maps on the map screen are easy to see, zoom in and out of, track on. Highly recommend.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!