Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Big Summer Project

My Big Summer Project

Well since I just moved a few months ago, it has been a very busy summer getting settled again. So, I have had several projects going on and this might be the biggest.

I am building the kids (2 boys 5 & 2, girl 6 months) a new swing set and I thought it would be fun to chronicle the progress here on bogley! I will take pictures along the way and post them in this thread. Let me start with what I did to prepare for the swing set.

First: I started by taking out two trees and some raspberries from this area. Then I leveled the area and staked some weed blocker ground cover stuff down. Next I ordered 7 yards of sand and rented a little Kubota tractor to take it to this space. Once the sand was in I built a small retaining wall to (hopefully) keep the sand in the swing set area. Then it was time to start building. The manual says it takes two skilled workers 20-25 hours to build this unit. Hell, it has only been me so far and about half a day on Saturday, but I dont think I am a quarter of the way yet.

Here are a few pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I admire you! If I saw those instructions along with all the parts and pieces, you'd need to check me in. Your kiddos are lucky to have you for a daddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    I admire you! If I saw those instructions along with all the parts and pieces, you'd need to check me in. Your kiddos are lucky to have you for a daddy!!
    Trust me, I might be checking in soon.

The manual is 74 pages with 112 steps.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Trust me, I might be checking in soon.

The manual is 74 pages with 112 steps.
    Good on you! I've built two of those in my life, and I've already taken both down to make room for an RV pad.

My boys are now 10 and 13 and no longer desire the playground. I'll post pictures of the new "fort" they play in today. Reminds me of an old Vietnam era guard tower. Took a full year to build. Has power, lights (solar) and three levels with the top having a locking latch.

Yep, I was actually thinking about the day that I might take it down.

Hell.

Yep, I was actually thinking about the day that I might take it down.

Hell.
    If I took the time to build that like you are, my kids would have to sign a contract in BLOOD that they'd play in it till they were 18.

If I took the time to build that like you are, my kids would have to sign a contract in BLOOD that they'd play in it till they were 18.
    Yeah no shit.

way to go, dad!

good luck keeping the sand in!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

good luck keeping the sand in! [/quote]

and the cats out.....invest in big screened pooper scooper. I had too. mother was not happy when the first one came in asking, what is this.....
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Good plan, except for the sand. Modern playgrounds (here) use ground up rubber, presumably from re-cycled tires. Have fun and let the kiddies help. I always let my boys help and they are now ready to tackle any construction or home repair project. (Serves them right.)
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

What a pain in the ass! I did that once before and I swore that I'd never do it again. I've never seen a more cryptic set of instructions in my life. It took me about a week to complete the one that I built.

Better you than me, man.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Wow That's a lot of nuts, bolts and screws Good luck

Not much happened last night. I snapped a picture this morning. I had some dood come over and buy my old mtn bike and I got distracted with a few other things.

I did get the set into position, leveled, squared and plumb. Then I installed some braces and put the decking down. Next I'll be screwing the deck down.

**Yeah the sand was my wifes idea. My kids do love the beach though. The rubber tire stuff is dayham expensive, it might cost as much as a swing set to cover the area that I have.

Not much happened last night. I snapped a picture this morning. I had some dood come over and buy my old mtn bike and I got distracted with a few other things.

I did get the set into position, leveled, squared and plumb. Then I installed some braces and put the decking down. Next I'll be screwing the deck down.

**Yeah the sand was my wifes idea. My kids do love the beach though. The rubber tire stuff is dayham expensive, it might cost as much as a swing set to cover the area that I have.
    Looking good, accadacca!
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Sounds like someone need to throw an "assembly" parteyyy. It's amazing what guys will do for a couple Coronas and some hawt dawgs. Bust it out man!

Or if you're LDS, maybe a nice glass of water. That's all the guys who helped me move would drink :P

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    Or if you're LDS, maybe a nice glass of water. That's all the guys who helped me move would drink :P
    Water! Oh hell!

We could bring our own beer and a deck of cards to pass the time while AccaDacca works on his project.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Got a little more framing done last night and I built the ladder. I also got it staked to the ground. Then I noticed that I am missing a bag of 2" lag bolts.

Anyway, I'll be back at it this morning (got the day off). The club (acca pent- ) house will be going up today among other things.

The club (acca pent- ) house
    Will there be a bronze pole installed

Looking good

And the "club house" construction is underway. Now I'll take PTO until Wednesday.