Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your Favorite Slot Canyon around Zion NP 3B or higher

your Favorite Slot Canyon around Zion NP 3B or higher

Well i have time to do on more summer canyon this year and i would love some suggestions. i am not much for you crazy guys with your dry suits and your ice cover winter canyons. More power to you guys that do those fall winter canyons but i am to buisy with work. So far i have done orderville, das boot, subway, spry, and The Maze. i am looking for somthing kinda dificult in the zion area, i would prefer water but what do you guys think? Imlay and heaps are out but anything esle 3B or higher
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you haven't hiked angel landings, combining angels landing with behuniun was the highlight of our trip to zion a month ago. Would highly recommend it. By looking at your list you need to add mystery some day. The trail of death or descent to he!! or whatever tom calls it, getting down into mystery pretty much stinks but after that it's a must do. My wife has her own special terms for the hike down in. But rappeling into the narrows can't be beat.
    Mark

Icebox or Boundary might be some logical choices.

good suggestions but i forgot to mention i have done mystery pine creek keyhole echo, also just not this year. icebox and boundry are on the list also birtch hollow and waterfalls canyon over by hilldale. i guess i should change the post title to (what is your fovorite canyon)

Scott P how is ice box is it worth the long treck back, also the north pass looks a little hary if i went for it i think i would do the slick rock pass. i have only seen on TR for it on TJ web page

Fat Man's Misery is always a favorite of mine.

Haha, I'm the opposite, you crazy guys doing canyons during the middle of the Monsoon, when the mountains are so nice. I was a Zion addict a couple summers ago but got sick of getting rained on in the canyon and laying awake all night praying it would cool off enough to fall asleep. What do you consider difficult? Compared to other parts of Utah, pretty much everything in Zion, besides Heaps and Imlay, is "easy". I seem to remember you thinking Spry was harder than other canyons you'd done so you would probably like Water, it's pretty similar to Spry with some big rappels. Englestead down Orderville is good too and has that big 300 foot rap to make it more difficult, otherwise it's pretty much rap and hike like most other Zion canyons. Boundary would be good but is best in the spring when flowing. You really can't go wrong, every canyon in Zion is worth doing. Set your sights outside Zion for the fall and maybe you'll decide fall canyons aren't so bad Be sure to post pics when you get back!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Haha, I'm the opposite, you crazy guys doing canyons during the middle of the Monsoon, when the mountains are so nice. I was a Zion addict a couple summers ago but got sick of getting rained on in the canyon and laying awake all night praying it would cool off enough to fall asleep. What do you consider difficult? Compared to other parts of Utah, pretty much everything in Zion, besides Heaps and Imlay, is "easy". I seem to remember you thinking Spry was harder than other canyons you'd done so you would probably like Water, it's pretty similar to Spry with some big rappels. Englestead down Orderville is good too and has that big 300 foot rap to make it more difficult, otherwise it's pretty much rap and hike like most other Zion canyons. Boundary would be good but is best in the spring when flowing. You really can't go wrong, every canyon in Zion is worth doing. Set your sights outside Zion for the fall and maybe you'll decide fall canyons aren't so bad Be sure to post pics when you get back!
    Nice, stable weather, finally. August daytime temps pretty nice right now.

Icebox: The North Pass is much easier than the Slickrock Pass. It makes for a long day, but pretty nice for those not scared of a little excercise. Telephone/Behunin (Telephunin) makes a nice combo. Right Fork a must-do - very scenic. Boundary very nice especially in October with the changing leaves, now that it has stopped flowing. Kolob can be very good, but I think the current release schedule is a little flaky, might preclude doing it at the moment. The Gunsight/Isaac route is pretty cool, avoids most of the water of Heaps and certainly the long stretches of cold water. Engelstead is pretty good. Fat Man's good in the fall.

T

yeah i did think spry was difficult at first but then i did the Maze here in las vegas, spry is a walk in the park compared to that canyon. Sorry tom i was mixed up about icebox the north pass is the easy way. well i will check with my guys to see what they want.

How hard would it be to do boundry and then drop out kolob in one day any thoughts. is it possable to do in one day? is it worth it do or is the MIA exit the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    How hard would it be to do boundry and then drop out kolob in one day any thoughts. is it possable to do in one day? is it worth it do or is the MIA exit the way to go.
    Looks like a big day. I'd start pre-dawn and plan on hiking out the narrows with headlamps. Fastest I've hiked the narrows was from one of the last campsites to the paved trail in about 3 hours, but that was practically running. From Boundary to the paved trail looks more than twice that length. Someone who has actually done it might chime in though. If you miss the last bus you are kind of screwed too. The MIA at least gets you out before dark and eliminates the shuttle pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Looks like a big day. I'd start pre-dawn and plan on hiking out the narrows with headlamps. Fastest I've hiked the narrows was from one of the last campsites to the paved trail in about 3 hours, but that was practically running. From Boundary to the paved trail looks more than twice that length. Someone who has actually done it might chime in though. If you miss the last bus you are kind of screwed too. The MIA at least gets you out before dark and eliminates the shuttle pickup.
    Yeah, that's a long way.

In the fall, however, down Boundary/Kolob/Narrows is a delightful, not too long two day trip. The big advantage of Boundary is A. it's the shortest way, B. Boundary should be dry, so the trip can be done without wetsuits, and C. Easiest to camp before getting wet. There are, however 2 or 3 swim-type pools before getting to the Narrows. Good fun to do when it is cold without wetsuits - character building. Therefore, DO bring drybags for everything!

Tom

How hard would it be to do boundry and then drop out kolob in one day any thoughts. is it possable to do in one day?
    To me it would be rather pointless to do in a day, especially since in summer you can go really light on camping gear. Last year when we did the Narrows, we camped and brought one small day pack for two people (my wife didn't carry anything at all). We brought two short pads, a tent footprint (but no tent) and a one pound sleeping bag that we shared.

Of course with ropes, you will have to carry more (full backpack), but camping in the Kolob or the Narrows in the summer doesn't require carrying that much weight over a long day hike and would be worth it. Doing the Narrows in the dark doesn't sound like that much fun.

Scott P how is ice box is it worth the long treck back
    It's a pretty walk out and on a good trail, but it will seem long after doing Icebox. Icebox is a very pretty canyon and in my opinion, yes, it is worth it.

A buddy and myself just did Boundry through Kolob and out the narrows in 2 days this weekend. I would say your a stud to do it in one day. I think 2 is best. to make things fun I think Kolob was releasing around 20cfs... atleast it was a little less water than the Virgin at the confuence and it was running aroung 32. It was a very tough hike through Kolob with that much water. I will get around to TR shortly... Need rest!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: your Favorite Slot Canyon around Zion NP 3B or higher

Well i have time to do on more summer canyon this year and i would love some suggestions. i am not much for you crazy guys with your dry suits and your ice cover winter canyons. More power to you guys that do those fall winter canyons but i am to buisy with work. So far i have done orderville, das boot, subway, spry, and The Maze. i am looking for somthing kinda dificult in the zion area, i would prefer water but what do you guys think? Imlay and heaps are out but anything esle 3B or higher
    By difficult what do you mean, more technical. Also do you only want to do day canyons or multiday canyons.

If you want something along "The Most Dangerous Game" I'd say Eye of the Needle. Think about, tresspassing, angry landowners, possible guns, are you fast enough to make it to the safety of Oak Creek before being hunted???? Goose Creek may also fall into this catagory.

Well i was looking for more dificult than pine creek and keyhole and mystery. I really like an obsticle course. Lots of tight spots and downclimbing problems. I think we have it narrow down to Fat mans, or Water canyon. What do you guys think. I had heard that water canyon has some good size raps, but fat mans would be more of an obsticle course? We are looking at the 6th of september right now but not sure.

You got it, Water is Spy-like with some big raps. Fat Man's is more slotty and a lot of fun. Make sure you spend plenty of time in Parunaweap, some really good swimming holes just below the waterfall (I think technically you aren't supposed to go down there but, what do you do). If you like obstacle courses and downclimbing then that's yet another reason to leave Zion and join the dark side in North Wash this fall Take the most obstacle coursey canyon in Zion and pump it full of steroids and you have a typical North Wash canyon .

Oh if you are interested I have a video from Mystery like 2 years ago or so (disclaimer: I don't condone the activities in the video, like jumping the short drops and hiking past the waterfall).

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2006/...yon-again.html

Or just pics:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2006/...ry-canyon.html

man that video makes me want to do fat man's, that canyon looks pretty sweet kinda remindes me of das boot without the water. How is the hike back to the road i heard it sucks but i looks like it might be worth it. to bad we can't just float down the virgin. (dang BLM) na jk.

I'm usually pretty long hike out tolerant so I didn't think it was too bad. First time I did it we had cloud cover which helped a lot. Second time it was in the full sun, that sucked quite a bit more. Playing in the water until temps cool off is a good idea. Expect it to be the worst hike out of your life and maybe it won't seem so bad after you do it. The canyon is worth the hike and Parunaweap is awesome, it's basically the narrows without any of the speedo clad tourists, better swimming holes, and less slippery rocks! Nice to not need wetsuits as well, the water is always nice once you hit the spring-fed pools.

Bogley BigShot
    Kolob is my favorite.

man that video makes me want to do fat man's, that canyon looks pretty sweet kinda remindes me of das boot without the water. How is the hike back to the road i heard it sucks but i looks like it might be worth it. to bad we can't just float down the virgin. (dang BLM) na jk.
    Friends yesterday confirmed that the hike out truly sucks in hot weather. In the fall and spring, when walking in the sun is pleasant, the hikes in and out can be marvelous...

The East Fork of the Virgin does not have sufficient water in it to allow floating through Parunaweap Canyon. The BLM portion of the East Fork of the Virgin River is open to all (on-foot) travellers. The NPS section is closed from the base of Labyrinth Falls; and the lowest section is on private land. The NPS is rather unlikely to change its plans for the land, however, the private land has recently changed hands, so...

Tom

Talking about the hike out. My neighbor did misery last year with his whole family, including fairly young kids. They got a late start and needless to say got lost trying to find the trail out. While they were lost they ran into another family that was lost. Between the 2 families they had one pen light. They were just going to spend the night but he had told his inlaws if we wasn't back by 10 to call search and rescue. They eventually found where to get out but his small kids were so wasted that he would carry one up aways and then go back and get another. They got to the parking lot at 3 a.m. just as a park ranger pulled up looking for them. His children definitely feel the name of the hike is correct. MISERY.
    Mark