Thread: NP artifacts

NP artifacts

I've been finding a lot of artifacts lately on my walks in Arches and Canyonlands. I don't go out looking for them but, sometimes you can't help but see them.
    The arrow point from Canyonlands is on the White Rim and the Arches artifacts are all within a square mile of each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's pretty cool stuff. It's things like that that make me want to go out and pay a little more attention when hiking and not just run to the destination. Thanks for sharing.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

You know that it is illegal to remove artifacts from NPS land, right?

That said, I've only found one lousy arrowhead in all my years visiting those parks. Want to see it?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

nice arrowheads !
    signature

Hmmm, I don't believe I said anything about removing them. I suppose it would be pretty tempting for some, just not for me. Bad juju.

Quote Originally Posted by slickrocker
    Hmmm, I don't believe I said anything about removing them. I suppose it would be pretty tempting for some, just not for me. Bad juju.
    Sorry, bad assumption on my part.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Those are sweet! The few arrowheads I have are hand-me-downs from my Grandfather and found on private land at that, or purchased on ebay I guess if I ever found one myself it would make my day

If you know where to look (legally) you can find lots of full and partial arrowheads. I've got a buddy who goes out several times a week and always finds 3 or 4. I am simply amazed.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Nice. I've seen many throughout the years, but never kept any. Once we found a nice flint knife in almost perfect condtion.

I haven't found as much this year, but here is a photo I took last January of an arrowhead and several chips:

Actually illegal on all public land, not just the NPS!

I have found 6? arrowheads one today. I have also found 1000 + shards of pots. 1 whole pot and 1 whole basket. All left in place except for the basket & pot which was donated to the museum.
    Today's Find

Basket & Pot

Others i don't photos of i will return to where i found them and take photos

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    That said, I've only found one lousy arrowhead in all my years visiting those parks. Want to see it?
    Sure

I suck when it comes to finding arrow heads.... I never find any....

I suck at mushroom picking.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    X2. I think the only way I would find one is if I stepped on it and it cut through my boot into my foot. Then, maybe, I would notice it.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    X2. I think the only way I would find one is if I stepped on it and it cut through my boot into my foot. Then, maybe, I would notice it.

I've yet to spot one in the wild, myself...

I think finding arrowheads has to do with where you look while hiking.... When it comes to finding ruins, rock art, arches, strange rock formations, and spotting wildlife I'm awesome.... but I've never found an arrow head.... I've decide I probably never will because I keep my eyes up while hiking.

I've decide I probably never will because I keep my eyes up while hiking.

do you trip alot?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

here's a couple arrowheads i've found. they were found to the east of the lower jump in the needles district of canyonlands nat. park. left them there too.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    do you trip alot?
    Honestly I've spent a lot of time noticing this in others I outdoor with. I first noticed it when hunting.

Some folks hike with their eyes up, they use their peripheral vision to watch their footing. Folks that hike this way are good at spotting wildlife, ruins and are usually really good at navigating.

Some folks hike with their eyes down and use their peripheral vision to navigate, these types are always finding arrow heads and rattlesnakes.

Everyone does a little of both types of hiking, some just spend more time in one mode over anther. Anyhoo

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum