Thread: How cold is cold in Kolob?

How cold is cold in Kolob?

I've never done Kolob but am planning on going through it late September. Any recommendations on how much neo we'll need? I was planning on full-length 5/3. Pretty good tolerance for cold (I grew up in Minnesota!). Think that'll be good? I know at least one site says 7mm is required year-round or you might be Popsickled.
    Thanks
    Can you see the bottom?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm a wuss when it comes to being cold. I've done it with a 4/3 full and a 2mm shortee over that, so 6/3. I shivvered a bit but still had a blast. September may have cooler air temps, and the canyon is higher than most in Zion, so the beginning will be at least 10 degrees cooler than in the main canyon. Hopefully you get some good flow in there, it's sooo fun when flowing.

This is always a hard question to answer. You got to know yourself and test your gear. In my past and stupid days, I did Kolob in a shorty at the end of September. I also packed a griddle and had pancakes and bacon for breakfast before hiking out the narrows! (Oh how times and gear have changed) I must say that my shorty wet suit decision was not wise. I was quite cold but I do remember the canyon so I don't think I was hypothermic. For my body type a 4/3 would be good. A lot also has to do with how efficient you are in the technical section. It is not that long and if you keep moving then obviously you won't get as cold. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of rope issues or a group that is not leap frogging ropes and working as a team, you will be waiting a bunch and that is when you get cold. So, beats me. how cold you would get. Go stand under Bridal Veil falls for a couple of hours in the morning hours and see how you fare. J/K.
    Life is Good

Yep, I can relate to past stupid days. My second canyon ever (first was on a lark, with a dozen people) my equally inexperienced son and I led my family down Pine Creek. Wetsuits? Didn't occur to me. Helmets? Oh, do they use those? Beta? You mean, other people do this stuff? Maps, slings, webbing, extra biners? Uh ... no.

But I did know a few knots and borrowed a climbing rope and some harnesses. My wife and kids were plenty cold, but fortunately not frozen. And eventually they came back for more.

I think sometimes God just shakes his head at fools and brings us home safely because we don't know any better.

Thanks for the perspective on Kolob.
    Can you see the bottom?

We did Kolob a few years ago in mid October and I wore a 5mm. No socks or vests, etc. Just the 5mm suit and I got chilled but if you move quickly you'll stay warm.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!