Thread: Canyoneering on MSNBC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SNAKE ALLY, anyone have any beta on that slot or is it even worth going to. it looked kinda neet. Not sure how great this will be on keeping the canyon open for reservations. its hard these days to get lottery for mystery and subway. kinda sucks
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Bogley BigShot
    I don't see a video?

First post ever... And here I go!

Don't need a permit for these. They are right outside the park. Very short but I thought they were pretty fun and cool. If your looking to practice its a great spot to polish up your skills. Some stemming, some rappelling, and some up and down climbing. I'm pretty sure the local guiding companies use these quite a bit for their lessons. At least I took a lesson from the Emperor there
    and used ZAC for the service. Had a great time and have been down about 13 canyons in the Zion area since!(April was the lesson.) ... yeah I'm hooked!

This weekend we will be headed down Boundary and through Kolob into the narrows and camping @ site #2 by Deep Creek. Its gunna be a long hike out but I'm ready! We do have 2 extra spots open if anyone is interested!

Frank~

If i stepped out of bounds on this post let me know! Still so newbie to all this.

Bogley BigShot
    Welcome to the Group Frank!

That canyon looks like it is in the meadow on the right between left fork trail head and the wildcat canyon trailhead. i might be wrong
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru
    SNAKE ALLY, anyone have any beta on that slot or is it even worth going to. it looked kinda neet. Not sure how great this will be on keeping the canyon open for reservations. its hard these days to get lottery for mystery and subway. kinda sucks
    Been out there once to do a bit of Climbing and wandered up and around the knoll. Found some anchors, etc as well saw a group in a tight slot descending to the canyon floor. I am quite sure this is snake alley. Not too sure I have it exactly pinpointed on the map but you'll find it if you take the dirt/sand road on the left as headed north on the KT road. It;s just past the gravel pit. Then just follow the well used footpath up the wash toward Lambs Knoll. Not too sure how the guiding companies access the start of the canyon, but I'm sure you can find it by wandering!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome Bo!

Bo pretty much nailed it. I took some training there with Zion Rock a while ago. There's a bit of everything in there and it's easy to access.

Yo and I were scrambling around up there last Fall and there were quite few
    vehicles parked and we could here people but never saw anyone.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I know I've seen this thread somewhere before...

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12038

Moab Mark: "I had never heard it called Snake alley but it is ZAC's little training area on the west side of the park. It's not really a slot canyon adventure just a few rappels in a small slot."

Both Z Rock and us (ZAC) use this small area extensively. It works very well for us, both teaching classes and taking people through their first canyon. The canyon is quite short and has two or three raps. It is on the scale of Keyhole, without the final swim - thus I think most competent people will find it small and dissappointing.

If you choose to come and play there, be aware that we and ZRock have groups there almost every day. Sometimes several groups. Please be courteous. We and ZRock have learned how to play well together there. Playing through the family group I am guiding will not work, but if you come talk to me discretely, we can manage the situation so it will work well for both of us. If there are several vehicles in the parking lot, that is how many trips are already up there - so consider going elsewhere. Like IN the Park, where we are not allowed to guide.

Tom