Thread: Birch Hollow and Orderville Combination

Birch Hollow and Orderville Combination

On Tuesday, August 19, myself and four others completed the Birch Hollow and Orderville Canyon combination. We were apparently the only group to do Birch Hollow and Orderville that day, as no other Orderville permits were issued (according to the ranger at Kolob Canyons).

We got a latter than expected start at the trailhead off of the North Fork Road, getting into the bushwacking at at 8:00am. The bushwackign part was a little less painful than I had expected, in reading various other trip reports. We were puzzled at the amount of effort put into constructing that ATV wooden bridge, which trail seemingly went no where.

We bypassed the first cliff band and set up at the second. Our anchor was off of a fallen large trunk pine in the center of the watercourse, about 20 feet from the edge. The free hanging nature of this first rap was a nice variation from the other "wall walk" raps.

After several short rappels, the longest one of the day, a 100 foot one, was anchored off a a pine on the left side LDC. This one was a particularly beautiful fluted wall straight down. It was awesome, and is now on my favorite raps list. Very beautiful.

Most all of Birch Hollows raps are on fluted chamber and are very scenic, and one of the reasons I like this sport so much: The ability to see some beautiful scenery not commonly scene and missed by the typical park visitor.

The second to the last rap of ten brings you down another nicely fluted wall, to a small bowl, where you continue down the last rap. This second to last rap has a boulder wedged into the slot above your head as you descend.

Shortly after the conclusion of the last rap, Orderville Canyon is encountered, where we made a left hand turn downcanyon. This first part of Ordervilel was bone dry. After much walking, we began to find dry mud holes, and later on moist ones and finally to some springs after which the water content picked up quickly. Soon we were into a water park, with slides and swimming pools. At one large boulder, we rigged a zip line to avoid a swimming hole, but found many more swimming holes later on.

Just before enountering the Zion Narrows, we ran inot two hikers from below who were stopped at this particular downclimb. Soon after we found the junciton with the Narrows and immediately found numerous hikers going up and down.

We calculated that it took us slightly under 3 hours to do the raps in Birch Hollow. With a 1/2 hour lunch break, we figured it took us approximately 7 1/2 hours to complete the Orderville and Zion Narrows poertions, for a total of an 11 hour hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the TR. How much water did you encounter in Orderville that was too deep to wade? Lots of swims?
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Bogley BigShot
    Nice photos and trip report!

something must be too big though because I have to scroll?

Water In Orderville

For perhaps the first half of Orderville, after entering it from Birch Hollow, we found no water at all. It was very dry and hot out in the sun.

The first swim hole was encountered before reaching the Zion boundary. Soon after the passing the spring, the water gradually got deeper and deeper and most every pool below a downclimb or rappel required swimming, if just for a few feet. There was probabbly over 8 swimming pools.

The water at the final obstacle before the Narrows, the one with the "moqui steps" was not as deep as expected. Only knee to waste deep. Avoid the temptation to jump. Go around the left side (LDC) and slip or step down the moqui steps. Most in my group did it facing toward the wall. I did it crab walk style. All passed it fine.

Water in the Narrows was only knee deep. You cross back and forth through the river repeatedly.

cool. Ammon and Lauren are a fairly new couple aren't they.
    The man thong is wrong.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    Thanks for the TR. How much water did you encounter in Orderville that was too deep to wade? Lots of swims?
    Was down Engelstead and Orderville on Thursday, Aug 21st.

Water in Orderville is HIGH. One or two places that are usually chest deep wades were well over-head. Flow in Orderville was about 2X normal (very surprising, since it is springfed). The first swim or two were cold and dirty, the latter were cleaner and warmer (after the springs).

Total, I'd say 5 swims at the moment.

Tom

Re: Birch Hollow and Orderville Combination TR

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk
    On Tuesday, August 19, myself and four others completed the Birch Hollow and Orderville Canyon combination.
    Not to let it slip by...

(the usual rant about helmets...)

Tom (Sargeant, Zion Helmet Police)

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    something must be too big though because I have to scroll?
    That's what she said

I love the big pix. Thanks for the TR!

That Lauren and Ammon sure are cute together....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

(the usual rant about helmets...)

Tom (Sargeant, Zion Helmet Police)[/quote]

I know, I know....

The last time I did Pine Creek, after loading up the gear in the vehicle at the middle switchback, I was backing up to get away from a car parked near us, and heard a big "crunch'.....

I learned that a helmet left on the ground cannot withstand the weight of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have never replaced it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk
    I know, I know....

The last time I did Pine Creek, after loading up the gear in the vehicle at the middle switchback, I was backing up to get away from a car parked near us, and heard a big "crunch'.....

I learned that a helmet left on the ground cannot withstand the weight of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have never replaced it yet.
    You'll find the walk in easier if you take the "new" road. See, the BOOK.

Also, it is an easier way to get into Engelstead.

There is exactly ONE picture of a person without a helmet in The Book. Mark Mallory in Engelstead. As he hung out at the bottom, the next person down knocked off quite a few rocks. From 280' they zing in pretty good. I have been told that is the last time he went canyoning without a helmet.

For perspective: a helmet costs about the same as a tank of gas for your Cherokee. I can be generous with discounts if you buy more than one.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Tom
    Tom,

At what point does the "road" approach join Birch? Is it before or after the first optional rappel? Also, how does it compare time wise to the "wash" approach?

Thanks,

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by gootwan
    Tom
    Tom,

At what point does the "road" approach join Birch? Is it before or after the first optional rappel? Also, how does it compare time wise to the "wash" approach?

Thanks,

Jordan
    From THE BOOK:

#25 Englestead Hollow

Englestead is a deep canyon with a dramatic start. After an initial 700 feet of rappelling, the canyon continues through marvelous narrows with some downclimbing and a few short rappels to intersect with Orderville Canyon just inside the Park boundary. One can turn left and enjoy the best parts of Orderville, exiting out the Narrows, or turn right and climb up Orderville Canyon.

Other than a few bolts at the beginning, Englestead is bolt-free. Please keep it that way. The drops lower in the canyon can be easily rigged using natural anchors.

Rating: 4B III or IV
    Time Required: 6 to 10 hours
    Preferred Season: Summer or fall.
    Cold Water Protection: If going down Orderville, wetsuits are recommended in cold weather.
    Longest Rappel: 300 feet (91 m)
    Special Difficulties: The long initial rappel gets special respect, and has been the scene of several incidents.

Driving: Englestead is approached using an old logging road off the North Fork Road. Drive north on the North Fork Road 5.4 miles to the entrance of the Zion Ponderosa Resort. Continue on the North Fork Road 2.8 miles to a small dirt road on the left (west), between two fenced ranches. Park here (2WD) or drive the small dirt road
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gootwan
    Tom
    Tom,

Thanks,

Jordan
    The Road approach is maybe 10 minutes faster, and avoids the first rappel (thus also avoiding the time required for the first rappel). It is also a LOT easier.

For Engelstead, it is about the same walking time, but the driving is a LOT easier, and the navigation is both easier, and easier to explain (important to guidebook authors, and those who do not want to get lost).

Tom