Thread: Pfeiferhorn TR

Pfeiferhorn TR

Hiked up to the Pfeiferhorn yesterday, weather was perfect. I got really lucky and ran into two herds of mountain goats, one hanging out near Upper Red Pine Lake and the second along the ridge . Lots of squirrels up on the peak too, got some pics of those. On the way down I decided to be stupid and headed down an extremely steep gully into the Maybird fork, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I had to trust lots of boulders to hold my weight, if one had slid down the mountain, I probably would have followed (didn't look so bad from the ridge). It was a great day, very cool hike. Took me about 8 hours but I spent a lot of time taking pictures and chasing mountain goats.

Full gallery here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ericgodfrey/ThePfeiferhorn
    Attached Images Attached Images                       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks so peaceful man, thanks for the TR!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Nice TR

I've wanted to do Pfeiferhorn this year, haven't.

I'm jelous.

I understand that Maybird Gulch is used to decend during the winter.

I like the mountain goats~
    you should take pictures for magazines
    wanna explore Utah with people who also like outdoors...

Great shots! Spoiled here, we are...

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I understand that Maybird Gulch is used to decend during the winter.
    Its a fairly popular and well known ski run. My guess is a fair number of folks that ski Maybird, climb back up a ways and descend back into Red Pine and go out that way, or, just take the trail back down to White Pine. The bottom of Maybird can be "intersting" to ski.

For a winter ascent, its not super common to come out Maybird if you climb up the standard winter route. Unless you came down upper Red Pine, then cut over back into the Maybird Drainage. And folks who come down into Hogum from the summit (yikes!) probably just go out Hogum fork.

Some folks summit from Maybird, by climbing up one of the steep couliors, or, accessing the North Ridge, but, you probably wouldn't descend that way.

Anyhoo, great stuff...

-Brian in SLC

For a winter ascent, its not super common to come out Maybird if you climb up the standard winter route.
    I assume that he may mean spring? In late May or early June, Maybird is a popular descent (or even ascent) route on consolidated snow. Once the snow melts, it isn't so pleasant, but on consolidated snow it's great.

Thanks for the pics that is one of my favorite mountains in the Wasatch.

What camera/lenses do you shoot?
    Let's Roll

Great TR! I can't wait until i can make it up there, perhaps next year.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Thanks. This is a nice way to spoil my eyes in the morning. And to forget that I'm at work and not somewhere else, heh.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy
    What camera/lenses do you shoot?
    I have a Nikon D80, I just bought it at the end of June, it's my first SLR and I'm still figuring out everything on it. I just finally had the lightbulb go off on how ISO affects shutter speed etc... . It came with the Nikkor 18 - 55 mm lens and I got a Quantarray 55 - 200 mm lens for free.

Bogley BigShot
    Nice photos.

amazing! I've never been able to get up there without some snow I've nearly wore my old guidebook out of this region. Thanks!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum