Thread: Hiking in Bryce

Hiking in Bryce

The fam and I (we have 4 kids 1-7years old) are planning on a Bryce trip next week. We are planning on a 3 day stay and want to spend most of the days hiking.

This will be our first Bryce trip and wanted to tap into the experience here to see if we could get a head start in planning our hikes.

What would you recommend, given that we can handle about 3 miles at one shot.

Any other info about Bryce would be nice as well.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Get the hiking guide when you enter the park. In three days, you can hike most of the trails at Bryce Canyon.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

The trails that lead down into the amphitheater are the most "Brycey." The rim loop and the trails around Bryce point are mostly alpine woodland hikes. Also seriously consider at least a half a day at Cedar Breaks, which is only about 60 miles away. There are only a couple of trails, but they are nice, and there are many fewer tourists.

View from Inspiration Point at Bryce...

Along "Wall Street" on the Navajo Loop trail...

Late afternoon at Cedar Breaks...

I am still working on my images from this trip, which was three weeks ago, but I shot a mountain of stuff. I'm getting it done, though. -Richard

Will do Sparker1.

Richard, thanks for the pointers and especially the tip about cedar breaks, it was the hope for such information that I posted this inquiry.

The pics have me aching to go .

-todd

Should have mentioned Red Canyon, near Bryce, has some trails and a few arches. The trail to Mossy Cave is also close to Bryce. If you want to drive 60 miles, drive Highway 12 up to Lower Calf Creek Falls (past Escalante). This is a nice hike about 2 3/4 miles one way with a beautiful waterfall and pool. The drive along Highway 12 is fantastic. I think you would enjoy this much more than Cedar Breaks (which is nice, but not much different than Bryce Canyon).

Escalante State Park has a decent hike that passes lots of petrified wood. Only takes an hour or so, you can do it on the way to Lower Calf Creek Falls.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

So are you camping in the park or staying at a motel. Ruby's right outside the park might prove entering for the kids. And across the street i believe there's a rodeo and other touristy entertainment. And out on rt 12 on the north side there was a restaurant (twin pines?) that served excellent pie. I'm just offering up sideshows in case the hiking gets old. Heck, the kids might even want to watch the mule train mount up.

Not many guardrails on the rim. Might want to hook up some bungie cords to them young uns.