Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Castle/Smith's Fork/ Oweep basin/Little East Fork trip

Red Castle/Smith's Fork/ Oweep basin/Little East Fork trip

Had a successful few days in the Uintas, a few sunny days and a few stormy ones but made the above loop. Had the Red Castle area to myself for a day and explored to the upper lakes and around. Saw a few other backpackers on the loop but generally no one else around on the trail or campsites. The loop was about 43 miles including the wandering around at Red Castle. Then I went to Allsop lake for an overnighter, where I was in one of the worst electrical storms I've ever been in. Haven't processed those pics yet. Here are a few from the other.

From the Bald Mtn trail

From the Upper lake

Red Castle Lake

Reflections

Outlet stream below big lake

Sunset

You can rest when you're dead

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice photos; it is one of my favorite loops in the Uintas.

few more pics

Small lake near trail on other side of Castle

Looking back from near Smith's Fork pass

At North Star lake in Garfield Basin

Wide Angle top of Porcupine pass looking into Oweep basin

And, from Squaw looking into upper Little East Fork of Black's Fork

Very nice pics, especially the reflection of Red Castle Peak.

As usual RedRoxx, very nice! Sounds like a great trip too.

Was this a solo trip?

Solo trip; my boyfriend doesn't like to backpack, he's a caver so will hike to get to a cave. I do longer stuff alone usually, have a friend or two who will do longer stuff when we can coordinate such.

I want to do a 90-100 miler in the Gila Wilderness ( food cache) and am planning that as a solo.

Wow. Truly epic photos. Talk about raising the photo bar... ;)

Makes my pics of Red Castle last year look like pooh :(

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoxx
    Solo trip; my boyfriend doesn't like to backpack, he's a caver so will hike to get to a cave. I do longer stuff alone usually, have a friend or two who will do longer stuff when we can coordinate such.

I want to do a 90-100 miler in the Gila Wilderness ( food cache) and am planning that as a solo.
    You should do Gannet in the Winds. It's a good 65+ miler with epic wind river spires.

I'm heading out to the Cirque of The Towers tomorrow until next Tuesday. I'll post pics next week.

these are some amazing pictures. usually i am not blown away by anything but red rock/slots type of stuff. my brother has been trying to get me to do some hiking/backbacking in the mountains and i keep putting it off- but those pics i think have inspired me to change my mind on that... VERY impressive
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    these are some amazing pictures. usually i am not blown away by anything but red rock/slots type of stuff. ....... VERY impressive
    I agree whole heartedly.What a beautiful thing to see first thing in the morning on the computer.
    Chere'

Re: Red Castle/Smith's Fork/ Oweep basin/Little East Fork tr

The loop was about 43 miles including the wandering around at Red Castle. Then I went to Allsop lake for an overnighter, where I was in one of the worst electrical storms I've ever been in. Haven't processed those pics yet. Here are a few from the other.
    WOW!
    Succ beautiful scenery!
    I'm super impressed by the fact that you get out there solo....and that you hike so many miles!

I did my first solo back-pack this year (just an overnighter) and it was only 15 miles or so, and that seemed like a long two days.

You're inspiring!
    And the photos are just wonderful!!!!
    I can't wait to see your storm pictures!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Spectacular. Bravo.

Encore. (electrical storm)
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Your pictures are beautiful, I cant get over the color, particularly of the water.

I'm impressed that you go out alone so much, I'm not really there, I like to hike with others. Is this a preference of yours, or circumstantial??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Yea that's pretty impressive (hiking that long alone) I can do day hikes alone but multi-day backpacks I get bored out of my mind! The social aspect of trips are a big part of it for me, solo is cool sometimes because you can go at whatever pace you want etc... but after the hiking is done I'd much rather be chillin with my homies around camp. Awesome pics, brings back sweet memories.

I don't mind solo trips- I guess they really aren't solo because I take a dog- no it's not a weak pitbull- yes I am originally from Ohio- no I don't take patio furniture.
    Sometimes the solitude is what one needs.

I don't mind hiking with others but due to work schedules and such I do a lot alone. I would rather hike alone than with others who are incompatible.
    I like to take pictures, but I can kick the pace up when I want to get somewhere. Some folks want to hike fast all day, make many miles, others are ok with a few miles. So, I would rather hike alone than either feel like I am holding people up, or stop and wait on someone all the time.

I have been on a 7 day solo in the Gila and did fine. The Winds was 5 days and 50 miles with a friend of mine; I enjoyed that too. I expect anyone I hike with to be self sufficient, etc for sure.

Solo trip; my boyfriend doesn't like to backpack,

Wait a minute, wait a minute are you telling me that RedRoxx is a girl? Either that or a gay guy. Am I the only one just catching on here?

James
    P.S. Great photos by the way!

I would rather hike alone than with others who are incompatible
    Roger that! So what kind of pooch keeps you company on that beautiful trail RedRoxx?